Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Hammock Hanging

Options
  • 25-09-2009 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wanting to hang my hammock i have in my bedroom. I was planning on hanging it from a ceiling joist so it would be like a hanging chair. I was jsut worried if the ceiling joist would be ok to hang it from (would it hold my weight 80 kilos). Also does anyone have any recommendations on what i'd need. I was thinking something along the lines of what you would use to hang a punching bag

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

one problem you may have is the torsion effect on the joist.

as in you will be twisting the joist by effectivly pulling it sideways.

what you will want to do is put extra noggins between the joist to strut it off other joists to spread the force. i would not recommend it really because i think your ceiling will crack because of the localised force on one joist.

if its in a room with an attic above it maybe you could get a lenght of 6x3 and run it perpendicular across several joists then make a small hole in your ceiling and mount the hammock to the 6x3 directly.

maybe its overkill but might help spread the load

Advertisement