Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best worm and flea treatment for dogs?

Options
  • 25-09-2009 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

I normally use Drontal for worms and Frontline for fleas. Has anyone any other products they could recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Advocate is a spot on which covers for all internal and external parasites of concern to dogs, except for tapeworms, so I would use it in combination with a wormer which covers tapeworms e.g. Drontal.
    If your animal is covered for fleas though, there is a quite a low risk they would have tapeworms, because there is a relationship between the two. Unless your dog has a habit of eating weird and wonderful things outside.
    Advocate is applied monthly on the back of the neck. The advantage of a spot on product is that it continually works for the month, but a wormer will only kill the parasites when it is used, they could acquire them again within a few days of worming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Iv always used the bob martin flea & tick stuff in a tube for the back of the neck, some people say its crap but iv never noticed any fleas or ticks on him when I use this. I tried Gullivers flea collars once and they were crap, poor fella got LOADS of tick when he had it on, gets them in the most awkward of places too like between his legs!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Depends on the dog really, I can't use stronghold on my collie makes her itch like crazy but can't use advocate on the phalene coz it seems to make him itch so it's stronghold for him and advocate for the collie and advocate for our other little dog.

Then I also use Parazole for worming, thing is with the neck drops it kills various parasites so you can over load a pooch with stuff if you de flea/worm all in one go so I tend to space it out. I don't tend to stick to a strict routine of every month or every 3 months. So far my two older dogs that I've had for years have not had any worms probably the odd ear mite which is easily sorted. Our middle pooch had fleas once in her 5 years and I was mortified lol such a bad owner but really it's no biggy as long as it's treated.

I can't use bob martin as it made the collie itch as well but a worse effect than the stronghold had but each dog is diff.

Parazole however is a great wormer I find, but you have to dose correctly 9well ok you have to with all wormers but it's a liquid) so need to weigh them and measure the liquid. It's gentle enough to be used on puppies and kittens and have used it on rabbits and guinea pigs (more to restore gut flora).

I also found Parazole way cheaper one bottle is around 8 euro and I can treat all the animals twice over with plenty left.

Advertisement