Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to get Microsoft word???

Options
  • 25-09-2009 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Download, purchase??? Where??

Thankyou!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I haven't seen word sold seperatly in ages. Try getting the Student version of Office. I got mine for €50 as an offer in PC World a couple of months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 PhantomLimb

So office is like a bundle really?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Why not just download openoffice for free - fully compatible with MS word?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Check bargain alerts, there is a special (could be over by now) for enterprise edition (has everything) for less than €50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Abiword is a very good alternative to Word, especially if you don't need an office suite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

By the way here is what I was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

go with openoffice.org, excellent product, free of charge and looks the same as word and compatible with file types, even has powerpoint, excel etc and can change them into pdfs if youwant. FREEEEEEEEEEEE

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

crawler wrote: »
    Why not just download openoffice for free - fully compatible with MS word?

http://www.openoffice.org/

+1 for OpenOffice. I've used it for word processing and saw absolutely no difference between it and Microsoft Office.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I used it for presentations, and saw plenty of difference :o Colours came out slightly off and animations were by-and-large a no-go. The latter has improved some but there's still issues so I stuck with Office :P

+1 for Office Student. I still prefer 2003's UI/interface over 2007 but ~€50 for three (non-commercial) Office licenses is a steal :D

Solitaire: You are probably the first person I have met who used OPenoffice for some serious stuff but very good to know! I only have it because it makes pdfs for free and does it well which is something most people could do with because of moodle/bebo/twitter etc

• Advertisement

Bear in mind that as Office gets suckier (sorry MS, but I'm one of the many who hate that new interface!) OO is slowly getting better and better. Don't count it out as a contender yet, it just needs some more polish and some more oddball features esp. in the texturing/shading/animating departments. Being a cheapskate I'd usually use OO for basics and someone else's Office for formatting but right now me and both sisters (who are both students) are getting good use out of a single "box" of Office 2007 Student licenses for €49 from Tesco :)

I forgot, watch out for people with work licences i.e. my workplace lets me and family use Office on all our own pcs through the licence at work, FOC. Maybe someone in your family has this. I know my parents could have this at work and not realise they can get the disc at work and legitimately bring it home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

TheDriver wrote: »
    I only have it because it makes pdfs for free
    Office 2007 allows you to save documents, presentations etc. as pdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Seifer wrote: »
    Office 2007 allows you to save documents, presentations etc. as pdf.
    I'm sure I've seen some freeware that can do that?

M$ Office is so much bloatware these days. I still use 2003 for everything.

I never got my hands on cheap 2003 licenses :( I loved Office 2003...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Solitaire wrote: »
    I never got my hands on cheap 2003 licenses :( I loved Office 2003...
    Hasn't gone away you know *sleazy Gerry Adams style wink*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

I'm sure I've seen some freeware that can do that?

M$ Office is so much bloatware these days. I still use 2003 for everything.

Still using 2002 myself - will upgrade when it no longer works with my OS.

CutePDF Writer will allow you to "print" any document from any application to a pdf file - much more useful than having that function in Word, IMO. I think there are a few others that are similar, but this worked first time for me, so I didn't bother trying any others.

Advertisement