Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying tax on rental income

Options
  • 25-09-2009 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi, We are letting a house and this is our first time doing this. I know we have to pay tax on the rental income that we get, I just do not know how we go about this. The tenancy is registered with PRTB.

I take it that we have to fill in a form and submit this to revenue or something similar? Can someone point me in the right direction?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can do it as part of your annual tax return. You only pay tax on your profit. So deduct all your expenses from the rent and you have your profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Victor wrote: »
    You can do it as part of your annual tax return. You only pay tax on your profit. So deduct all your expenses from the rent and you have your profit.

and just to clarify Victors statement. Mortgage payments do not count as an expense. Only mortgage interest can be offset as an expense.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

D3PO wrote: »
    and just to clarify Victors statement. Mortgage payments do not count as an expense. Only mortgage interest can be offset as an expense.

@ 75% rate- soon to be reduced further, with the intention of fully phasing it out by 2014.

Advertisement