Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will MS end ridiculous Hard Drive pricing?

• 25-09-2009 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

So Microsoft have lifted the artificial cap on the size of Xbox live downloadable games. They can be anything up to 2gigs now.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=224158

So now, if you were one of the early adopting saps, you're stuck with a 20gig hard drive.

MS are still charging €120 for a crappy bog standard 120gb hard drive in a plastic case when you can buy a 1TB Western Digital drive for €69 on komplett.

Isn't this detrimental to their stated intention of having Live as the money horse, the centre of the living room blah blah, with revenues coming from content that is downloaded??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

My guess is that they've figured out they make the most money this way. By keeping the prices for HD higher, they push people towards buying a new system with a larger HD. If there were supported 3rd party HD makers it would be a different story.

Also isn't the HD SSD based? or it it 2.5"? If it's SSD that would be a large reason why it's more costly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

grizzly wrote: »
    My guess is that they've figured out they make the most money this way. By keeping the prices for HD higher, they push people towards buying a new system with a larger HD. If there were supported 3rd party HD makers it would be a different story.

Also isn't the HD SSD based? or it it 2.5"? If it's SSD that would be a large reason why it's more costly.

The HDs are standard SATA 2.5inch drives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

How difficult is it to replace the HDD in the casing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

and headset pricing and controlers etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

moz wrote: »
    How difficult is it to replace the HDD in the casing?

i'd also like to know this.

edit:

actually, it seems pretty straightforward:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/150970/upgrade_your_xbox_360s_hard_drive_on_the_cheap.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

quarryman wrote: »
    i'd also like to know this.

edit:

actually, it seems pretty straightforward:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/150970/upgrade_your_xbox_360s_hard_drive_on_the_cheap.html

Hmm, thanks for the link.
    Not sure about it being straight forward though :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

well, if you would like to make me one, im all ears. Is data transfer very simple with the kit? i presume all your xbox live details and profiles are stuck on the HD. lad on ebay is selling a 120gb for 43 euro posted, its probably a modded HD mutton dressed as lamb but hey, if it works.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I picked up one on adverts for €70. Tranfering saves and profile data was easy, even without a data transfer cable, just put them all on a 360 memory card and then loaded them to the new drive, had to download all my games again but that only took a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Just on the "make yer own" drive, would a hdd bigger than 120gb (or 250gb when it's released) like say a 500gb or a 1tb cause the xbox to be blocked from XBL?

bigger drive would be nice if I could do it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

kaimera wrote: »
    Just on the "make yer own" drive, would a hdd bigger than 120gb (or 250gb when it's released) like say a 500gb or a 1tb cause the xbox to be blocked from XBL?

AFAIK, you can only get the Xbox to recognize a drive up to the size the official ones are - so 120GB is the limit. Now that a 250GB version is being released, you should soon be able to mod your own up to that size, but nothing beyond it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

J-blk wrote: »
    AFAIK, you can only get the Xbox to recognize a drive up to the size the official ones are - so 120GB is the limit. Now that a 250GB version is being released, you should soon be able to mod your own up to that size, but nothing beyond it.
    Sound as a pound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's stupid but when people see higher hdd size they thinks it's better.

Sony can easily introduce larger hdd sizes they do so a bit too often with 20 40 60 80 120 160 250(new slim) even if people can do it themselves with a standard 2.5" hdd

A company(Sony & Microsoft) will only do something if it make them money Microsoft may eventually release a external hdd enclosure to fit a hdd if they see a market for it. but definitely will keep up with Sony on the maximum size if not the number of skus so the upper size will keep increasing allowing modders to upgrade there 360s.

I'm still on my 20gb pro as most of my files are stored on a nas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Varik wrote: »

A what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

zero19 wrote: »
    A what now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage

Google gives me this. No idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

A what now?

Network Attached Storage.
    Varik wrote:

You keep your games on nas as well? ;) bigger hdd means more room for installing games, installed games means quieter and cooler console, faster loading times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

NAS = Network Attached Storage, usually a large hard disk or set of disks that can be accessed over a network (many don't need to be attached to a computer), just plug in the device and set it up on your network.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Sounds horribly complicated, i aint got the head for this lark :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Sounds horribly complicated, i aint got the head for this lark :)

Veeeery handy thing to have, I have 2tb one, hidden in my wardrobe, connected straight to the router. Keep all my films, music, pictures etc over there and there are accessible to every nod on my home network

Advertisement