Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows won't start because file missing or corrupt

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Doubt it. I think you need to bite the bullet.
    You can either take the hard drive out and slave it with another computer and the copy your files off it or use a boot cd to copy the files off.
    It's format time!! :(

I'd a feeling this was going to happen to me!!

Thanks for the help

Right, its problem after problem!

I put in the HDD in as a slave in another machine but the critical files wanted are in her profile's documents folder.

When I try to access the Documents and Settings\<user profile>

I get an access is denied message

How do I get access to these profile folders, there must be a way around?! I hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

jasus Dempsey your not having any luck with this!!!! :D

Did you try going into the advanced options and taking owenership of the files?
    Link

Also there is a freeware app which can help.
    Link

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    jasus Dempsey your not having any luck with this!!!! :D

Did you try going into the advanced options and taking owenership of the files?
    Link

Also there is a freeware app which can help.
    Link

Sorted, thanks

I cant wait until I have to reinstall windows, its going to be so much fun! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Dempsey wrote: »
    Sorted, thanks

I cant wait until I have to reinstall windows, its going to be so much fun! :pac:

would you consider linux? Ubuntu or mint would be nice for a newbie. None of the reliability issues of windows

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

landyman wrote: »
    would you consider linux? Ubuntu or mint would be nice for a newbie. None of the reliability issues of windows
    Please remember this bit from the charter.

No Off-Topic Advocacy: When someone asks a question in relation to their current OS/browser/mailer/etc, either answer the question or don't post. If they want an alternative, they'll ask for it. Off-topic advocacy will be sent to the Recycle Bin and repeat offenders may be banned.

OP unless you turned off the pc without shutting it down , best to do a surface scan on the hard drive to make sure it is OK , sometimes problems like this are indicitave of a hard drive on the way out and if that were the case any OS on it would have reliablity issues.

No Off-Topic Advocacy: When someone asks a question in relation to their current OS/browser/mailer/etc, either answer the question or don't post. If they want an alternative, they'll ask for it. Off-topic advocacy will be sent to the Recycle Bin and repeat offenders may be banned.

OP unless you turned off the pc without shutting it down , best to do a surface scan on the hard drive to make sure it is OK , sometimes problems like this are indicitave of a hard drive on the way out and if that were the case any OS on it would have reliablity issues.

Its not my machine, I dont know the circumstances around the cause. When I did slave it into another machine, AVG picked up 2 viruses with 'adware' in the name i think but I reckon they were glorified spyware tbh

I've already formatted, reinstalled the OS and just given it back about 30 minutes ago :o

Nothing happened that lead me to believe that the HDD was on the fritz

I'll be talking to the person tomorrow and I'll mention this possible problem

oops sorry about that :o:o

Good to hear windows is back on track op. I had plenty of problems with vista in the past, although XP seems to be the most reliable of lot atm :D

Make sure you download all the security updates when your up and running again and invest in a good virus scanner - Kaspersky or nod32 i'd recomend. Two tips to keep windows running reliably for longer :D

oops sorry about that :o:o

Good to hear windows is back on track op. I had plenty of problems with vista in the past, although XP seems to be the most reliable of lot atm :D

Make sure you download all the security updates when your up and running again and invest in a good virus scanner - Kaspersky or nod32 i'd recomend. Two tips to keep windows running reliably for longer :D

XP had SP3 slipstreamed into it and I installed another 53 updates after that and it has AVG installed. Its running aswell is it could possibly be but the lack of RAM is making it suffer. Nothing I can do about that

Dempsey wrote: »
    XP had SP3 slipstreamed into it and I installed another 53 updates after that and it has AVG installed. Its running aswell is it could possibly be but the lack of RAM is making it suffer. Nothing I can do about that

how much ram have you? I've ran xp on an 8 year old 800mhz p3 pc with 128mb of ram pretty well. Try turning down the visual enhancements and increase your swap file. It might make it work a little quicker

• Advertisement

how much ram have you? I've ran xp on an 8 year old 800mhz p3 pc with 128mb of ram pretty well. Try turning down the visual enhancements and increase your swap file. It might make it work a little quicker

176Mb (some shared with graphics)

I have the visuals reduced and swapfile doubled alright. I suppose its just the startup thats the problem really

Advertisement