Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The leaving cert and a child who stammers

Options
  • 25-09-2009 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi
    I was thinking back to my days in School and just remembered my leaving cert.
    It was the first year that there was an oral Irish and French.
    I got an A in french in my Inter and a B in honours Irish.
    Then came the leaving where I had to do an Oral in both. If I can remember there was 25% of the marks going for the orals.

Needless to say I couldn't put 2 words together in either Oral.
    In those days you never got the marks split between the written and the Oral.
    I ended up getting a D in both, which I was disgusted with.

I remember meeting my french teacher after the results were out, and he apologised, saying that he had wriiten to the dept of education looking for dispensation for me in the orals but they refused.
    He said a D was a great result considering I was starting at 75% instead of 100%.

This was obviuosly not fair but does anyone if this is still the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I did my leaving cert 10 years ago and for my orals in both German and Irish the examiner was made aware of my stammer. In fairness to my teachers they let the Department know well in advance. I dont know exactly if I was marked any differently but they gave me plenty of time to answer the questions so the exams didnt go too badly. Still I didnt enjoy them at all!

Advertisement