Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Space Dog wrote: »
    Sounds like Funny Games by Michael Haneke:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119167/

Thats the one, horrible f*cked up film.. amazed it gets 7.6 on imDb ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thats the one, horrible f*cked up film.. amazed it gets 7.6 on imDb ...

It's a fantastic movie imo.

Remake is pants though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

siblers wrote: »
    You sure it's WW2? The Blue Max has the above plot but it's WW1

Worth noting that the bridge scenes were filmed at the old railway viaduct in Fermoy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Worth noting that the bridge scenes were filmed at the old railway viaduct in Fermoy.

My dad used his showband van to ferry many of the actors around what I think was Casement Aerodrome(?) between scenes.
    That's showbusiness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Subtitled movie that I saw in the 90's, maybe French or Spanish. The only bit I clearly remember is when these two guys are confronting each other and it looks like they're going to fight when out of the blue one of them takes out a scissors and cuts off a piece of his own face, one of his cheeks I think. It was a right WTF? moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I had this query posted to my Irish Movie blog today and it doesn't ring any bells with me - any help identifying much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Query as I received it:

A film from around 2005 that was made circa 2000 (1995-2005) it was obscure but appeared to be shot by professionals, acting was phenomenal directing even better, but actors themselves are unknown to America, and for some reasons no one on the internet seems to have ever heard of it.

The premise is two Irish thieves, 20-30's, ones thinner and extroverted, ones heavier and introverted, are driving out into the country to a town to rob some houses, they stop at a farm on the way, farmer sees them and grabs his gun, catches one thief, the other thief sneaks up on him and grabs the gun, his daughter runs out unknowingly gets shot, they run into the wilderness, and realize they are not running from the cops but instead the townspeople are hunting them down to kill them.

All I can remember is that it was shot very dark and gritty, a lot of hand-held shots, notable shot they tied a camera to swingset using a rope and spun it around in a scene where one thief is getting high. One powerful scene is where the townsfolk catch up to the one thief who shot the daughter, roll him up into a carpet and chuck him in a river, a very powerful up close underwater scene where his face as he drowns.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Would Bord Scannán be able to help you, do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Maybe This I Went Down 1997

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Maybe This I Went Down 1997

I Went Down is a gangster movie though and not ordinary people in pursuit of the killers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And it's darkly funny, just like most of Conor McPherson's stuff.

• Advertisement

Aglomerado wrote: »

Good thread from a few years ago
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057059631

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

QUOTE=Del.Monte;104351800]I had this query posted to my Irish Movie blog today and it doesn't ring any bells with me - any help identifying much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Query as I received it:

A film from around 2005 that was made circa 2000 (1995-2005) it was obscure but appeared to be shot by professionals, acting was phenomenal directing even better, but actors themselves are unknown to America, and for some reasons no one on the internet seems to have ever heard of it.

The premise is two Irish thieves, 20-30's, ones thinner and extroverted, ones heavier and introverted, are driving out into the country to a town to rob some houses, they stop at a farm on the way, farmer sees them and grabs his gun, catches one thief, the other thief sneaks up on him and grabs the gun, his daughter runs out unknowingly gets shot, they run into the wilderness, and realize they are not running from the cops but instead the townspeople are hunting them down to kill them.

All I can remember is that it was shot very dark and gritty, a lot of hand-held shots, notable shot they tied a camera to swingset using a rope and spun it around in a scene where one thief is getting high. One powerful scene is where the townsfolk catch up to the one thief who shot the daughter, roll him up into a carpet and chuck him in a river, a very powerful up close underwater scene where his face as he drowns.
    [/QUOTE]

Mystery solved - by the person who asked me the question!

The movie was this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0310224/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

"This is not a Love Song" - looks to be a pile of parrot droppings and was shot in Scotland and of zero Irish interest.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Ok not much to go on, I had though this memory was from the blob remake in the 80s. Just looked it up and it's not.
    All I can remember is a teenage boy jumping into a taxi and trying to convince a taxi driver that people aren't what they seem to be. For some reason I think the non humans are vomiting out a pink blob type thing to take over the bodies of other...it's also not the body snatchers remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Ginny wrote: »
    Ok not much to go on, I had though this memory was from the blob remake in the 80s. Just looked it up and it's not.
    All I can remember is a teenage boy jumping into a taxi and trying to convince a taxi driver that people aren't what they seem to be. For some reason I think the non humans are vomiting out a pink blob type thing to take over the bodies of other...it's also not the body snatchers remake.

Any of these?

http://www.amc.com/movie-guide/best-blob-and-slime-monster-movies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Ginny wrote: »

The Stuff?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

jh79 wrote: »
    The Stuff?
    Jaysus Thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I keep thinking of a scene where a little boy is hiding from nazis. He has a small glass horse or something. They find him and drag him out and the head nazi takes the horse off him and crushes it under his boot (the git). Does this sound familiar at all?

I remember a scene like that, too, but I can't remember which of the nazi-themed films it came from. Could it be a scene from "Music Box"?

New Home wrote: »
    I remember a scene like that, too, but I can't remember which of the nazi-themed films it came from. Could it be a scene from "Music Box"?
    No I think it might have been a more recent film.

I keep thinking of a scene where a little boy is hiding from nazis. He has a small glass horse or something. They find him and drag him out and the head nazi takes the horse off him and crushes it under his boot (the git). Does this sound familiar at all?

Maybe this

• Advertisement

Maybe this

That's it. A short too. Well done Monkie.:)

Watching the Friday the 13th marathon on sky and wondering if anyone remembers the Halloween that rte showed a 3d movie and the glassess were distributed in the Star? I'm guessing it was F13 part 3 but not sure? Pretty certain it wasn't Flesh for Frankenstein 3d and can't think of too many infamous 80's 3d horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

Watching the Friday the 13th marathon on sky and wondering if anyone remembers the Halloween that rte showed a 3d movie and the glassess were distributed in the Star? I'm guessing it was F13 part 3 but not sure? Pretty certain it wasn't Flesh for Frankenstein 3d and can't think of too many infamous 80's 3d horror.

RTE Telethon 1988?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72917939&postcount=30
    SpitfireIV wrote: »
    A memory just popped back into my head smile.png , that of Telethon and the 3D movies they used to show on TV that day, these happened right, or am I just imagining??

You could buy the glasses for a £1 or so (the money being raised for people in need of course) and RTE would show these 'special' 3D movies that day, this would have been the late 80's/early 90's.

Why dont they show these movies anymore, be pretty cool I think! cool.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Casey Gerrard

Hi Everyone,

I recently watched The Truman Show (worth a watch) and it made me reminisce about the 90's...long story short there was another film (low budget I believe) were an average joe's entire life was filmed by a camera crew. Not a lot happened in the film but i remember liking it but have forgotten the name. It was an American production I believe.

Anybody help me out???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I don't see it listed there but I'm almost certain Halloween III was included in the 3D films that year. That was the one about the killer pumpkin masks that despite it's name had no connection to the Halloween franchise.

darkdubh wrote: »
    I don't see it listed there but I'm almost certain Halloween III was included in the 3D films that year. That was the one about the killer pumpkin masks that despite it's name had no connection to the Halloween franchise.

Not a bad film at all. Carpenter wanted the franchise to continue as stand alone films under the Halloween moniker rather than ressurecting Myers each time. Pity he didn't get his way.

Jaws 3d is in my head too as a possibilty.

Think Channel 4 once showed Flesh for Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula in 3d. Neither of which i've seen. Surely due a release by Arrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

My partner was talking to friends last night and this movie came into their minds none of them could remember what it's called. It has a scene where a door is opened and a girl is by herself in there. She's saying something along the lines of "I know something that you don't know" Is that familiar to anyone here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

KKkitty wrote: »
    My partner was talking to friends last night and this movie came into their minds none of them could remember what it's called. It has a scene where a door is opened and a girl is by herself in there. She's saying something along the lines of "I know something that you don't know" Is that familiar to anyone here?

Don't Say a Word starting Michael Douglas and Brittany Murphy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

It sounds like that alright. Good movie too.

Advertisement