Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

budgemook wrote: »
    If Outlaw Pete doesn't get it I will be amazed.
    It's Tid...

Finish it off there Pete ;)

Oops, sorry .. haven't checked thread in ages as broadband's been down for a few days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Right, really little info on this..
    It was a kids film, from the 80's/90's probably made for TV, used to be shown on RTE2 quite a bit.

I remember a scene, could've been the intro and there's these kids in an old hotel, but when they walk in it's full of people dancing from the 40's and this song is playing(nearly sure this is it, sing sing sing by Glenn Miller) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0rnB-Ecf0.
    Then it goes back to being old..I think.
    I know there's not much to work on but anything is appriciated, thanks!

storm2811 wrote: »
    Right, really little info on this..
    It was a kids film, from the 80's/90's probably made for TV, used to be shown on RTE2 quite a bit.

I remember a scene, could've been the intro and there's these kids in an old hotel, but when they walk in it's full of people dancing from the 40's and this song is playing(nearly sure this is it, sing sing sing by Glenn Miller) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0rnB-Ecf0.
    Then it goes back to being old..I think.
    I know there's not much to work on but anything is appriciated, thanks!

Sounds like Tower of Terror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

OutlawPete wrote: »

Nope it was set in more modern day, thanks anyway.:)
    Sounds like Tower of Terror.

Ahh that's it!! Thanks a million, spent ages looking for it.

• Advertisement

Nope it was set in more modern day, thanks anyway.:)

Never seen Swing Kids fully, but I worked in a place where they had the Soundtrack on CD and always played it, remembered that Glen Miller track from it straight away.
    Ahh that's it!! Thanks a million, spent ages looking for it.

Good man Darko.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Excellent thread, I saw this movie a few months ago when I came in drunk one night. From what I remember theres a bloke in his 20s (American) and a bloke in his 40s (English) doing loads of coke in a penthouse suite with a bar girl, the american has been trying to get over his ex for months but cant and shes at a party downstairs.

In the end the english bloke heads off with the bar girl and the american and his ex reconcile and drive off together in a lil sportscar.

Any ideas?

Excellent thread, I saw this movie a few months ago when I came in drunk one night. From what I remember theres a bloke in his 20s (American) and a bloke in his 40s (English) doing loads of coke in a penthouse suite with a bar girl, the american has been trying to get over his ex for months but cant and shes at a party downstairs.

In the end the english bloke heads off with the bar girl and the american and his ex reconcile and drive off together in a lil sportscar.

Any ideas?

London

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

2 films that I just remembered I wanted to watch but have lost track of their names.

Both within the past 3 years.

The first I was sure starred Hayden Christensen or Justin Timberlake, it looked like a Sci-fi Noir set in a dystopian future. The trailer reminded me of V for Vendetta (but mainly the anime Ergo Proxy for anyone whos seen it) A lot of tall futuristic buildings and excellent use of shadows. Any ideas?

The second I can remember briefly. It was a trailer for a film either set in england or starring english actors. The actors where no namers and young (early to mid 20's) It appeared to be set around the 50's or 60's (perhaps during WWII). Mid way through the trailer it goes into this fantasy world, which is a dream or something. Visually it looked fantastic. But I can't for the life of me remember its name. I remembered thinking at the time "no need to remember this, this looks good enough to get loads of press coverage and a big release" I never heard of it again. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

L31mr0d wrote: »
    2 films that I just remembered I wanted to watch but have lost track of their names. Both within the past 3 years.
    The first I was sure starred Hayden Christensen or Justin Timberlake, it looked like a Sci-fi Noir set in a dystopian future. The trailer reminded me of V for Vendetta (but mainly the anime Ergo Proxy for anyone whos seen it) A lot of tall futuristic buildings and excellent use of shadows. Any ideas?

Sounds like Franklyn.

patch wrote: »
    Sounds like Franklyn.

Correctamundo... I always mix Ryan Phillipe, Hayden Christensen and Justin Timberlake up.

Any help with the second one? I believe they may have been students. I remember getting a "dead poets society" feel from the start of the trailer. I also believe it was 2 guys and 1 girl in the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

The second I can remember briefly. It was a trailer for a film either set in england or starring english actors. The actors where no namers and young (early to mid 20's) It appeared to be set around the 50's or 60's (perhaps during WWII). Mid way through the trailer it goes into this fantasy world, which is a dream or something. Visually it looked fantastic. But I can't for the life of me remember its name. I remembered thinking at the time "no need to remember this, this looks good enough to get loads of press coverage and a big release" I never heard of it again. Any ideas?
    Any help with the second one? I believe they may have been students. I remember getting a "dead poets society" feel from the start of the trailer. I also believe it was 2 guys and 1 girl in the trailer.
    Looooong shot here now but...The Hole?

Could be mistaken for that time with their clothes, midway through it does change visually, although not a dream. Probably completely wrong, remember anything about the plot?

Looooong shot here now but...The Hole?

Yeah, I've seen the hole, it's not it. It's a lot more recent, like somewhere between 2006 and 2009.

The trailer starts with the 2 guys and 1 girl out in a grass field under blue skies, then it switches to like a dream world.

I dunno. It's wrecking my head. I think I'll just start scouring the films from the last few years of Sundance and Cannes film festivals. I think it was an indie film and didn't get a wide release.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

It's not never let me go is it? I thought of it intially, but then The Hole seemed to make more sense? Never let me go features flashbacks and stuff, and set in england, it's set in the future, but has more of a grainy 70s vibe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

Hello.
    I was talking to somebody recently who recommended a film about Troskites during WWII (I think). One of the central characters is a kid whose face, through the use of make-up, becomes more gaunt and weary as the film progresses. The film is in Russian.
    They said it was widely held in high regard as a quality movie but my google searches have not returned anything.
    Can anybody figure out what I’m on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Does anyone know if this film was released under a different title here? I saw it on a trailer as 'Tourista' but I cant find it. I think the trailer was on a 'Hostel' movie. Thanks.

chucken1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this film was released under a different title here? I saw it on a trailer as 'Tourista' but I cant find it. I think the trailer was on a 'Hostel' movie. Thanks.

Paradise Lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Thanks very very much :D

Feu wrote: »
    It's not never let me go is it? I thought of it intially, but then The Hole seemed to make more sense?

No, that's not it. But that film does look good though, I've made a note of it (decided to actually keep a list of films I intend to watch now, rather than assuming I'm going to remember them)

It was more upbeat. It looked to be in a similar vein to "The Science of Sleep" or "Be Kind, Rewind". I seen a trailer for it in late 2007 or early 2008. It looked like a quirky, indie film with some surreal fantasy/dream sections.

EDIT: nvm, I think I've found it. It was "Across the Universe". The surreal fantasy elements I remembered are from the sections where they sing songs by the Beatles. It wasn't WWII, it was Vietnam. At least I was right about the 2 guys and 1 girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Trying to remember a weird one. Its a film set in the blitz (im pretty sure) following a group of friends. Theres one scene that stands out because i was a young lad at the time it was on tv and i was confused by the situation but basically one of the girls of the group has all the boys line up and pay her to have a look in her knickers.

I know its seems semi perverted that thats the only scene in the film i recall but its just because i remember being completely baffled. Ahh the innocence of youth :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Trying to remember a weird one. Its a film set in the blitz (im pretty sure) following a group of friends. Theres one scene that stands out because i was a young lad at the time it was on tv and i was confused by the situation but basically one of the girls of the group has all the boys line up and pay her to have a look in her knickers.

I know its seems semi perverted that thats the only scene in the film i recall but its just because i remember being completely baffled. Ahh the innocence of youth :D

Hope and Glory. John Boorman film from 1987.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just looked at the trailer for that cause it rang a bell, thats the movie I was looking for too on page 26 of this very thread. Two for one there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Spot on! I remember the bullet in the vice scene too. Cheers for that, been bugging me lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Hello there I have been trying to find out the name of a movie I saw about 12 years ago.It was aired on channel 4 at Christmas time and channel 4 were doing a Japanese movie season(I think it was Japanese).Basically it was a kung fu horror ,there was this guy who was going around fighting vampire/zombie type people while trying to save some girl.

Now the comic side to the movie was that he had these small squares of yellow rice paper or post-its.He would be fighting one of the zombies then stick one of these postit type thingy's to the forehead of the chap he was fighting and they would freeze ,if the piece of paper fell off they would start moving again.It was a brilliant movie and hillarious.I have searched the net ,youtube etc and come up with nothing.

Have any of you good people seen such a movie before? I know it sounds crazy ,but then channel 4 always had crazy stuff on back then.:D

Nope! The movie would have been 1990's but that is very similar and I think I saw yellow paper in there too!:D Looks good though!

Nope! The movie would have been 1990's but that is very similar and I think I saw yellow paper in there too!:D Looks good though!

I deleted that one before your reply, but everything else reminded of it :)

Looks like it's The Jitters (1989).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

fikay wrote: »
    Hello.
    I was talking to somebody recently who recommended a film about Troskites during WWII (I think). One of the central characters is a kid whose face, through the use of make-up, becomes more gaunt and weary as the film progresses. The film is in Russian.
    They said it was widely held in high regard as a quality movie but my google searches have not returned anything.
    Can anybody figure out what I’m on about?

It could be the extraordinary 'Come and See' (Idi i smotri) - harrowing stuff about partisans during the war.

If it's not, the above is worth seeing anyway.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I deleted that one before your reply, but everything else reminded of it :)

Looks like it's The Jitters (1989).

Legand ,Ha ha thats it alright ,you wouldn't believe how long I've been trying to find that out! nice one mate:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

spurious wrote: »
    It could be the extraordinary 'Come and See' (Idi i smotri) - harrowing stuff about partisans during the war.

If it's not, the above is worth seeing anyway.

My description seems a bit off but having had a look at the trailer I'm pretty sure that that is it.. The title rings a bell too. Thank you.

Advertisement