Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

What is the name of this film, I tried searching for it under attack of the kung fu rascals but its not the one I saw in 1995, it has a somewhat fat protagonist that everyone in the village calls dumpling and initially he's a crap fighter but gets tutelage from an old kung fu master. I remember a bar fight scene where the old master says "ah you sh1t you pants" and proceeds to punch a guy in the posterior.

What is the name of this film, I tried searching for it under attack of the kung fu rascals but its not the one I saw in 1995, it has a somewhat fat protagonist that everyone in the village calls dumpling and initially he's a crap fighter but gets tutelage from an old kung fu master. I remember a bar fight scene where the old master says "ah you sh1t you pants" and proceeds to punch a guy in the posterior.

Are you thinking of Steve Wang's Kung Fu Rascals. It's been years since I saw it but I do have a DVD of it someplace simply so I can see Les Claypool's performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Are you thinking of Steve Wang's Kung Fu Rascals. It's been years since I saw it but I do have a DVD of it someplace simply so I can see Les Claypool's performance.

I don't know, it may have been the 80s version I saw, but it definately had a character called dumpling or frequent references to dumplings.

I don't know, it may have been the 80s version I saw, but it definately had a character called dumpling or frequent references to dumplings.

There's the very, very low-budget 80s version which he made and then the 90s one. Neither is much cop but both are quite fun. I'll have a look for my DVDs of both and give them a rewatch to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Not a name the movie per se, but this is bugging me.

In Wall-E, when the name Wall-E comes up on the screen as he is stacking a tower after the "Put on your sunday clothes ....." song has finished, there is an extremely familiar piece of theme music. Can anyone tell me where else I know it from?

Its really, really annoying me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Not a name the movie per se, but this is bugging me.

In Wall-E, when the name Wall-E comes up on the screen as he is stacking a tower after the "Put on your sunday clothes ....." song has finished, there is an extremely familiar piece of theme music. Can anyone tell me where else I know it from?

Its really, really annoying me.
    Just looking at the trailer there, it's not The Great Escape is it you're thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

It came out no more than 5 years ago. The story involves some African refugee guy, he gets involved with the Gardai and a big Nigerian drug gang in Dublin... I don't remember it being that good but would like to check it out again. Anybody know the name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

I'd say its 'the front line'.
    A pretty good and largely unseen attempt at an irish thriller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

That's it!!! The front line. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Just looking at the trailer there, it's not The Great Escape is it you're thinking of?

No, its a much more modern sound.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Its here at 2:40
    That's just part of Thomas Newman's score. Unless it was based on something, or sounds similar to something he did before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

There is a film I saw years ago on TV that I'd love to know the name of. I was quite young so I don't remember too much about it.

It was in the late 80s I think. It was about three guys running some race through a desert. During the race they keep being attacked by some biker gang. I think one of the three guys was a yuppie who gets killed. I think the biker gang had whips and/or lassos.

I think in the end two of the men made it out of the desert with the biker gang chasing them.

That is all I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

There is a film I saw years ago on TV that I'd love to know the name of. I was quite young so I don't remember too much about it.

It was in the late 80s I think. It was about three guys running some race through a desert. During the race they keep being attacked by some biker gang. I think one of the three guys was a yuppie who gets killed. I think the biker gang had whips and/or lassos.

I think in the end two of the men made it out of the desert with the biker gang chasing them.

That is all I remember.

Sounds like a Mad Max rip-off. I'm sure they were made, especially by
    Italian studios, done on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Sounds like a Mad Max rip-off. I'm sure they were made, especially by
    Italian studios, done on the cheap.

I think it was a contemporary setting, not post-apocalyptic.

Here's another one I'm after.

Danny Glover is in it.

He goes to a family reunion at a funeral I think.

He is the black-sheep of the family, with a history of crime and possibly murder.

He takes a naive young nephew under his wing and teaches him about
    using marked cards to win money at poker.

They all drink a type of poitin called corn liquor.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

basquille wrote: »

:D Did exactly the same thing and got same result

Thanks for that guys!

He has so many films, I didn't think it would be enough to go on.

To show my gratitude to everyone, here is a film I recently identified.

I saw a bit of this film years ago on UTV one night.

It starred Sidney Poitier and Tom Berringer.

Sidney Poitier is an FBI agent, (I thought he was a cop)

He is chasing a killer who has a white bag of diamonds.

The killer tries to escape by going up in the mountains.

He takes his guide, Kirstie Allie, hostage.

The film is called Deadly Pursuit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Help appreciated

Saw this years ago in the 90's on RTE.

It's like a live TV broadcast so it's like you're watching everything live. They have the studio and cut to different reporters around the city. Sometimes they get updates from the police

It's in the USA or Canada and terrorists put a bomb on a small boat and in the end it's blown up and the camera crew capture the image.

You'd think I could find it with that info but I've searched for ages and can't :(
    Not a flashy film, looks low budget but it was very, very cleverly done and these were the days before Sky news and 24 hour news channels so it was something new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Sounds like Special Bulletin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Pete, you are a legend sir

In the 90's RTÉ had a show called the Last Picture Show and I always remembered that film but spent aaaaaaaages trying to find it again

Yeah, looks very low budget but it was something different.

Live broadcasts, real time, constant updates, nuclear bombs and terrorists?
    Jack Baeur and 24 ripped this film off ;)

Thanks again

That Special Bulletin is a great film. I remember when it was on RTE as well.

After each commercial break, there is a screen that says this is a fictional movie,
    in case anyone thought it was the real thing. Very convincing and well-made.

After a quick google, there's no sign of it on DVD.
    It is on VHS though in the NTSC American format.
    Most video players you buy today can play NTSC tapes.

I invested in one a few years ago and have enjoyed some great made-for-tv
    films on US VHS tapes that I've bought on Amazon for tuppence.

By way of some examples, and maybe someone will be searching for these
    to be identified, here are a few NTSC tapes I've got :

Doomsday Gun - This is a dramatization of the true story of
    Dr. Gerald Bull, a Canadian weapons designer who designed and built a
    "Supergun" for Saddam Hussein, just before the First Gulf War in 1990-1991.

It tells the story of how a dedicated Engineer, blinded by the
    real world consequences of attempting to deliver a weapon of mass
    destruction to a volatile and aggressive regieme,
    became a "loose end" that had to be tied up in order to cover-up a
    massive scam involving billions of dollars and some awkward
    questions about US foreign policy.

Starring Frank Lagnella, Kevin Spacey and Alan Arkin.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109650/

The Pentagon Wars - Another based-on-a-true-story, made for TV movie.
    Starring Kelsey Grammer and Cary Elwes.
    This is the story of the questionable procurement procedures
    used by the US military to design and build a new kind of tank
    called the Bradley Fighting Vehicle.

One man will not conform to the culture of cover-up and no questions asked
    and makes himself a target in the process.

Billions of taxpayers dollars are wasted, troops put in danger by
    unsafe equipment and the bureaucracy of the Pentagon are brilliantly
    lampooned in this black comedy.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144550/

There are some real gems out there that have never been transferred to DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

0verblood wrote: »
    That's it!!! The front line. Thanks.

According to DigiGuide this film is on Movies4men next Saturday 29th January at 10.00 pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Looking for the name of a Russian or Eastern European film, I think the title starts with an 'A'. I don't really remember a whole lot, but it's filmed in very dark tones (browns, grays, blues, yellows), has a female lead, and involves some kind of underground paid-in virtual war.

Anyone know what it could be?

liah wrote: »
    Looking for the name of a Russian or Eastern European film, I think the title starts with an 'A'. I don't really remember a whole lot, but it's filmed in very dark tones (browns, grays, blues, yellows), has a female lead, and involves some kind of underground paid-in virtual war.

Anyone know what it could be?

Avalon

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭32_4_1

its just annoying me really. i remember seeing a "horror" film a few years ago and cant remember the name. just wondering if anyone could help

a family in a jeep end up in an abandoned town. they get out and look around. in one of the buildings they pick up a video camera where the previous owner is talking into it, and some monster/deformed person comes and kills her. of course she drops the camera before we see what it is. the family then go back out to the jeep, only for wires to be cut underneeth it so it wont start.

we never see whats in the village but im guessing its deformed people. they live in tunnels under the village. eventually the family gets away and go to a nearby hotel. at the end one of them looks out the window and in the distance we're shown some deformed thing looking in and moving around so its obviously follwed them. anyone any idea what it was. its pretty bad but id just like to get the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Silent hill maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭32_4_1

funkyouup wrote: »
    Silent hill maybe?

No. It wasn't silent hill. That was released too recently. Although it's the reason I'm asking the question as it was on recently and reminded me of the film im lookin for

Advertisement