Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

Worztron wrote: »
    Does anyone know the name of a movie (I think it was from early 1980s) that had a barbarian that was helped out by a mouse (at least in one scene anyway). I think it had 'Beast' in the title. Thanks.

The Beastmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gary.b

I've been looking for a very odd (European?) film, I've trawled through a crap load of Wikipedia entries and found nothing. Its a surreal black comedy of sorts.

All i know is that the movie is probably from Europe (sounded Italian, Spanish or Portuguese or something) The main protagonist is a young man who seems to find himself in a series of strange situations.

Its not an old movie itself, but set some time in the late 70s, 80s or early 90s (the cars didn't look that old)

I remember it was shown at in or around the same time as Rashomon (1950) on RTE 2 a few years ago (round 2006ish?) if that helps.

Some notable scenes i remember:

2 men play a game of Frisbee with circular saw outdoors, and end up inadvertently killing an (annoying?) husband when the main character disrupts their game... the main character is then implicated in the man's death and is interviewed by police.

The main character is in a phone booth, and calls a captain of a ship, he fires a pistol into the receiver end of the phone, and the guy on the other end of the line gets shot..

A car stops suddenly on a road, and the car behind it does not crash into it, it "overlaps" / merges into the car in front - a woman in the car is distressed, while the male driver casually exclaims "relax, i've got virtual drive" or something similar "virtual drive" was definitely in the subtitles.

A flashback of the main character's mother's untimely death features her dancing in a quarry or building site, then being hit with a bulldozer or digger. (a narrator explains the details).

The main character's fat girlfriend, dramatically thins through sheer willpower when the two find themselves being chased and need to squeeze through a narrow gap..

I've seen this movie 6 years ago on TV, forgot the tile, and have been trying to track it down ever since.

Even with those very specific scenes i haven't been able to track down the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Lol, no, I'd know if it was a 28 movie :pac: I doubt it's about zombies but there's a slim chance of it, think I said that earlier. The colours I describe don't match 28 anything either.

EDIT: it's nothing on this list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

hi all,
    two for me:
    The first one is (i think) an 80s sci fi blade runner type rip off. Sort of cyberpunk i think. It was set in a futuristic city(or building) and there were these robots/blades that attacked...

The second is a French film. Saw it back in the day when RTE showed foreign films on a monday night or something.
    The most recognizable scene I remember is a women *ahem* getting taken from behind as she leaned out a window and waved to her husband flying a plane.

thanks for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi.

Can someone name this movie title? I think it was made post 2000. It involved a few different stories. The main story revolved around a derby match between 2 big Turkish soccer teams. One of the stories involved a German tourist faking a mugging in Turkey. Another story involved a pilgrim marching many miles to Spain.

Anyone?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

Hi.

Can someone name this movie title? I think it was made post 2000. It involved a few different stories. The main story revolved around a derby match between 2 big Turkish soccer teams. One of the stories involved a German tourist faking a mugging in Turkey. Another story involved a pilgrim marching many miles to Spain.

Anyone?

One Day in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Trying to figure out a Killer Bees movie in which it ends with a VW inside a football stadium covered in the bees. It maybe called 'The Killer Bee's' but I'm not sure. Oh and it is definately not 'The Swarm'. Any ideas?

Trying to figure out a Killer Bees movie in which it ends with a VW inside a football stadium covered in the bees. It maybe called 'The Killer Bee's' but I'm not sure. Oh and it is definately not 'The Swarm'. Any ideas?

The Savage Bees

Spot on again! ;)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Hi.

I remember seeing this movie a long time ago. I think it was made in the 1980s. It involves a guy oribting a desert planet in a small spacecraft. He either landed or crashed on the planet. He met some others on the planet and they were at war with another group. The guy helped build a large vehicle with a big trianglular v shaped part on the front.

Anyone remember this or have a few titles to throw at me?

BTW, it is not Enemy Mine (1985)

Thanks.

I'm not certain if this is Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn (1983). Does anyone have more suggestions? Darko?

• Advertisement

I'm not certain if this is Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn (1983). Does anyone have more suggestions? Darko?

I'll tear open my DVD of metalstorm and let you know. Problem with the description is that there were so many cheap 80s aci fi films with similiarcplots that it can be hard to tell them apart.

Problem with the description is that there were so many cheap 80s aci fi films with similiarcplots that it can be hard to tell them apart.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Here's one - a black comedy, I think. I only remember one scene.

The lead character, a youngish alcoholic who's recently quit drinking, is driven to the house of a couple of friends he has to apologise to. He has a bottle of wine that he's going to give to the couple, but he gets in an argument with the guy who's driving him, which leads to him breaking off the top of the bottle against the car door and downing the wine from the broken bottle. It cuts, I think, to inside the house as the couple answers the door to him looking haggard and drink, and he says "I bought you a bottle of wine, but I drank it."

Not a lot to go on, I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭spacekiwi

does anyone know the name of this film?

It was made between mid eighties and early nineties.
    its a french or itialian movie.

A young couple live in a apartment and the guy gets an old distinctive looking four door merc and they travel around their country in it, was sort of a romance film.

please help with title of this ...thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Here's one - a black comedy, I think. I only remember one scene.

The lead character, a youngish alcoholic who's recently quit drinking, is driven to the house of a couple of friends he has to apologise to. He has a bottle of wine that he's going to give to the couple, but he gets in an argument with the guy who's driving him, which leads to him breaking off the top of the bottle against the car door and downing the wine from the broken bottle. It cuts, I think, to inside the house as the couple answers the door to him looking haggard and drink, and he says "I bought you a bottle of wine, but I drank it."

Not a lot to go on, I know...

is it possible you're thinking of this episode of Black books?
    {the Blackout, it's on the 4od player yoke}

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Thanks, but nope. Definitely a film, and American.

Edit to add: If my memory can be trusted, I remember it as having been more serious in tone than Black Books, and I'd place it around the mid-nineties. Visually, I'd say it looks a bit like Gross Pointe Blank, but any and all of this should be taken with a pinch of salt. It's years since I saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

This was an Irish film shown on tv maybe ten to twelve years ago. Was about a young couple from Dublin who went to London with a mate in order for the girl to have an abortion. Remember thinking it was a good film a the time, with funny moments. I think the friends name in the film was bubbles, if that is of any use in identifying the film.

Hi. I saw this a very long time ago. I did not see all of it. There was a scene where a hand was crawling out of a cave (or over some rocks). And no it is not the hand from The Addams Family;).

A group of vampires were traveling around in a van. This was made in the 1980s (possible mid). They were in a sunny place (may have been southern USA). Anyone know the title?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hi. I saw this a very long time ago. I did not see all of it. There was a scene where a hand was crawling out of a cave (or over some rocks). And no it is not the hand from The Addams Family;).

I'm guessing Idle Hands maybe?

A group of vampires were traveling around in a van. This was made in the 1980s (possible mid). They were in a sunny place (may have been southern USA). Anyone know the title?

Thats got to be Near Dark?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm guessing Idle Hands maybe?

Thats got to be Near Dark?

You were spot on with Near Dark. The one with the hand would have been 1980s or prior.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You were spot on with Near Dark. The one with the hand would have been 1980s or prior.

THe only other movie I can think of with a severed hand running around is Evil Dead 2.

The Hand

Mickeroo wrote: »
    THe only other movie I can think of with a severed hand running around is Evil Dead 2.

Good thinking. That is a classic movie but it is not the one.

I'm sorry that my description of the hand movie is so vague (it is possible that is could have been a TV show episode).

Hi Darko. I don't know how you do it but I think you've got it right yet again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

Can anyone help? I came across this trailer for a bord scannan na heireann film about 3 or 4 years ago and i thought it looked deadly! its really futuristic lookin. its a i think it starts off i a red smoke and then it shows these military type guys moving through a deserted city..... id love even to see the trailer again but i cant find it anywhere. any ideas on the name?

THANKS!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

Wait scrap that!

"the silent city"
    :D

twistyj wrote: »
    Wait scrap that!

"the silent city"
    :D

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9klWoaucN7I :)

• Advertisement

Hi.

Can someone tell me the names of movies where people walked through walls?

Cheers.

Advertisement