Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ianhmoore

alonmeln wrote: »
    Hello,
    I saw a movie few years ago but I remember just a few pictures from it ..

1. A young couple goes to live in an old apartment in a small village near the sea.
    2. An old man leading a cult of believers and encouraging them to jump off the cliff into the sea somehow related to Reincarnation
    3. Child appears at the couple's home, they scan his head and find that its full of nails.

Please help me identify the film,
    Alon.

Was it "The Dark"?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

Hi all! I've been trying to track down the title of this film, it's a South Korean one, it was in the cinemas (on limited release over here if I recall) about six months ago, good critical reviews, a thriller about a young female teacher and her class, along the same lines as that German film, "The Wave/Die Welle", major kudos for a name. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Hi all! I've been trying to track down the title of this film, it's a South Korean one, it was in the cinemas (on limited release over here if I recall) about six months ago, good critical reviews, a thriller about a young female teacher and her class, along the same lines as that German film, "The Wave/Die Welle", major kudos for a name. Best of luck!

Death Bell II?

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Death Bell II?

Thanks, but it wasn't a sequel!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Are you sure it wasn't a Japanese movie called Confessions?? :)

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Are you sure it wasn't a Japanese movie called Confessions?? :)

Poor information and you still get it! Much thanks Mickeroo!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭baker59

Hi, when I was young I saw a film about Asteroids coming to hit the Earth and the whole film was based in a newsroom.
    At the end, there is nothing that can be done so we are lead to believe the world ended.

It's American and I really can't remember much of it but that it was totally set in the newsroom.

Can anyone help?????? Apologies for being very vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ianhmoore

baker59 wrote: »
    Hi, when I was young I saw a film about Asteroids coming to hit the Earth and the whole film was based in a newsroom.
    At the end, there is nothing that can be done so we are lead to believe the world ended.

It's American and I really can't remember much of it but that it was totally set in the newsroom.

Can anyone help?????? Apologies for being very vague.

It's an oldie, but mainly set in a newsroom and it seems to fit the bill.

http://disastermovieworld.com/2010/09/26/the-day-the-earth-caught-fire-1961/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Around 1994,95,96 there was a TV show on RTÉ, wasn't just a TV pilot, they got at least one series of it.

Science fiction, usual stories of aggressive aliens.
    In the TV pilot you see a space ship and there was incredible panic on it.
    Kind of a Starship troopers sort of story.

The humans developed clones called tanks, looked like humans.
    I think there was some scandal later when a load of these were sealed in a room and burned to death and the general said
    "who cares about a bunch of tanks"

I liked it, got guffawed at in school for liking it. Been searching wikipedia and any lists I can find but cannot find this show.

I never watch other science fiction films but I'd love to find this one again

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Could be wrong, but think that's the acclaimed-but-short-lived Space: Above and Beyond

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That was a great series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thank you Sir, this place delivers yet again

I swear I had the wikipedia list open and checking them all one by one but missed this one
    Should have come here first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gorm90

I remember when I was younger seeing a film with ciaran nolan in it which was set in ireland but cant seem to find anything on it? All i can remember from the film is there is a chase seen through the forest where a group of travellers is chasing people on horses, and also ciaran nolan gets lucky in the stables with a traveller girl:p any help with this would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Gorm90 wrote: »
    I remember when I was younger seeing a film with ciaran nolan in it which was set in ireland but cant seem to find anything on it? All i can remember from the film is there is a chase seen through the forest where a group of travellers is chasing people on horses, and also ciaran nolan gets lucky in the stables with a traveller girl:p any help with this would be appreciated.

Pretty sure you're confusing Ciaran Nolan with Jeff O'Toole.

Crushproof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Thinking of a black and white supernatural classic but the name just will not come to my mind! Should be easy for someone else to pick up though. 30's era or so, quite old. I haven't seen it in years, so apologies for vagueness.

A young, beautiful woman goes to huge mansion on a beautiful property where she's to mind two young children, a boy and a girl (I think). The property has a pond, is quite hilly, great gardens and groomed trees, etc. Big, forboding house. As the film goes on, the woman begins to see spirits, one of them is a man, I think, though my memory's pretty hazy. I remember a scene where she's standing near a glass doorway and she sees the man on the terrace outside. Forget how, but she ends up outside, and I think one or both of the children are out there in the dark with her. I remember the ending being quite jarring, but I don't actually remember what the ending is. I believe she was insane?

Think something funny (as in strange) happens around the pond or under a willow tree (or both). Maybe someone wading into the water through reeds, a woman, facing away.

I'm thinking I'm getting this film and The Haunting (or something else) mixed up though.. Argh! :mad:

Anyone have any ideas?

OutlawPete wrote: »

Bingo, didn't even need to see the trailer, that was the name of it alright! Thanks a million!

It really doesn't seem that recent though. 61? Really? It looks so much older.

liah wrote: »
    Thanks a million!

No bother .. :)
    It really doesn't seem that recent though. 61? Really? It looks so much older.

Yeah, looks so much older as it was shot in deep focus. Seen Martin Scorsese talking about in some interview years ago and saying how he would like to make a movie as scary as that.

It was based on a story which there have been loads of Plays adpated from (as was the 90's movie The Turn Of The Screw).

Kate Bush's song Infant Kiss was inspired by it and here some fan has put the song to images from the movie:

Would love to see it in the cinema one day, be great to see it on the big screen.

I remember it being surprisingly gripping when I watched it, I found a Blu-ray version so I can't wait to watch that on the projector.. think I might go on a bit of a classic horror kick. Do you have any suggestions for films in the same vein as The Innocents?

.. think I might go on a bit of a classic horror kick. Do you have any suggestions for films in the same vein as The Innocents?

The Innocents always reminded me of Rebecca (1940), so you might like that. Salem's Lot (1979) has similarities. Another would be The Uninvited (1944):

A great horror with children that was made for TV is Don't Go To Sleep (1982):

If I had to pick one though, it would be The Bad Seed (1956) No where near as scary as The Innocents, but a classic none-the-less and imo, far better than The Omen or Children Of The Corn (which seem to get most of the plaudits when 'evil children in films' come up).

Oh Firestarter & Child's Play too, but they go without saying ;)

• Advertisement

Last but not least, what's the year (and word-for-word title, for that matter) of the oldest House on Haunted Hill film? Or perhaps not the oldest, but '50s-'60s ish. I remember it being quite good. The Uninvited trailer there made me think of it.

Whichever version I'm thinking of followed, mainly, a woman who lived away from the House, lived with her mother or sister or something? Just remember scenes of a sitting room speaking to a relative or something, her being on the phone, and her driving up to the gates of the house on the hill in a light-coloured car. Anyway, same old story, got a letter or something that called her to the haunted house and madness ensued. Some kind of experiment. It was in colour but it looked old enough. Believe it was English rather than American but could also be very wrong.

Hope I'm not thinking of a totally different, non-House on Haunted Hill type film and that someone knows what I'm on about. Why do there have to be so many haunted house movies? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

I didn't see all of this movie but I remember this much: a family moves into a house and soon discover that it is haunted. I think they went on holidays but the haunting followed them. Then I think an exorcism was done and they finally though the house was okay. Near the end, soneome in the family though a family member was walking down the stairs, they looked up and saw a ghost. I am not think of any of the Amityville movies.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Worztron wrote: »
    I didn't see all of this movie but I remember this much: a family moves into a house and soon discover that it is haunted. I think they went on holidays but the haunting followed them. Then I think an exorcism was done and they finally though the house was okay. Near the end, soneome in the family though a family member was walking down the stairs, they looked up and saw a ghost. I am not think of any of the Amityville movies.

Could it be The Haunted?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102007/

There's not much plot info on there but there is definitely a bit where they go camping or something and the ghost follows them

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Could it be The Haunted?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102007/

There's not much plot info on there but there is definitely a bit where they go camping or something and the ghost follows them

Thank you ceadaoin. (Wednesday); that is the one. ;)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gorm90

Your right, tanks a million :)

Irish movie from 1994 (I am almost certain of the year). I don't remember all of the details. A boy is his early/mid teens, his older brother (or father?) leaves. It is set in rural Ireland. There is a murder or some major incident like an eviction at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

Worztron wrote: »
    Irish movie from 1994 (I am almost certain of the year). I don't remember all of the details. A boy is his early/mid teens, his older brother (or father?) leaves. It is set in rural Ireland. There is a murder or some major incident like an eviction at the end.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109337/

Broken Harvest is another Irish movie from 1995.
    Set on a farm I'm pretty sure there is a killing at the end.

brian_t wrote: »
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109337/

Broken Harvest is another Irish movie from 1995.
    Set on a farm I'm pretty sure there is a killing at the end.

On the ball! That is it. Thank you brian_t. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

A colleague of mine just described a movie where a scientific experiment caused a disturbance in space-time that resulted in people reliving the same day over-and-over again (ala Groundhog day).

Anyone know what that movie might be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

r3nu4l wrote: »
    A colleague of mine just described a movie where a scientific experiment caused a disturbance in space-time that resulted in people reliving the same day over-and-over again (ala Groundhog day).

Anyone know what that movie might be?
    12:01 is a short film that replays the same hour. From what I remember he meets a scientist towards the end who tries to explain the phenomenon, could have something to do with the space-time thingy?

Advertisement