Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

A movie, American, which I can only remember one scene from! Horror I'm pretty sure, thought it was Poltergeist but it's not. Scene with a guy that looks like the priest in Exorcist, same hat, old, grey. Walking past a house, kids (I think) looking out at him and he is whistling as he walks past. Garden in front of house! Not sure if he walks past the gate, comes in, or just looks in! So vague I know!

Also another with even less detail. UK movie, dark, slow, set in the country side. All I can really remember is a dark, dreary house set out in the moors or something. Not the Werewolf film. Can only really remember dark scenes of the house, exterior. Maybe a tree in the background up on a hill.

So long ago, if only I saw this thread years ago I might remember a little more. :o

Any idea when they were made? 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's?
    Second one at a stretch could be Straw Dogs? Not exactly UK mad but set their nonetheless.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

paulieeye wrote: »
    Hi.. this has been wrecking my head for years. Can't find the name of the this anywhere. It's a horror movie about people who can enter people's dreams. Saw it around 1990. I remember one scene where a guy rips out another guy's heart and says "have a heart jim" or something like that. Also a scene on a train in the dream and a guy standing on a chair with his hands on the ceiling trying to force himself into someone's dream in the room above. Please help me!!

Dreamscape?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087175/

dreamscape-movie.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

A movie, American, which I can only remember one scene from! Horror I'm pretty sure, thought it was Poltergeist but it's not. Scene with a guy that looks like the priest in Exorcist, same hat, old, grey. Walking past a house, kids (I think) looking out at him and he is whistling as he walks past. Garden in front of house! Not sure if he walks past the gate, comes in, or just looks in! So vague I know!

Also another with even less detail. UK movie, dark, slow, set in the country side. All I can really remember is a dark, dreary house set out in the moors or something. Not the Werewolf film. Can only really remember dark scenes of the house, exterior. Maybe a tree in the background up on a hill.

So long ago, if only I saw this thread years ago I might remember a little more.
    Any idea when they were made? 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's?
    Second one at a stretch could be Straw Dogs? Not exactly UK mad but set their nonetheless.

Great guess there with straw dogs but that's not it. The UK movie is late 80's early 90's. Reckon it's all UK actors. There was one scene in that the exterior, but the same. The house played a big role in the dreariness of the film and the exterior shots often had the tree viewable in the background, far enough background up on a hill. I'm not sure if maybe the characters just moved there. It was a lone, old, two story, house, probably in bad condition, unpainted etc.

The other movie was the same period I'd say, definitely no newer than early 90's but maybe as old as 70's, most likely 80's.

Not enough details I'm sure, but just noticed this thread and took a chance! Thanks for the effort though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

UK movie, dark, slow, set in the country side. All I can really remember is a dark, dreary house set out in the moors or something. Not the Werewolf film. Can only really remember dark scenes of the house, exterior. Maybe a tree in the background up on a hill.

Two movies come to mind:

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Two movies come to mind:

Thanks but no, first one is too new and second one is too fantasy. They are good guesses but I think my info is too vague. I just saw that I can narrow down using keywords on IMDB so I will try try and post any results if successful. I really don't remember enough! Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Rita, Sue and Bob Too?

Hi OutlawPete. Good guess but no. I think the daughters had glasses (or at least one of them may have had).

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

So long ago, if only I saw this thread years ago I might remember a little more. :o

The first one sounds too much like poltergeist 2 to be ignored, heres a scene :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=028Rt_mEWJk&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 45 woozle

Anyone know the film where there's a guy in it who's only working out one arm only? He has one massive arm and one real skinny arm and he's not the main character

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

woozle wrote: »
    Anyone know the film where there's a guy in it who's only working out one arm only? He has one massive arm and one real skinny arm and he's not the main character
    scary_2_hand.jpg
    I reckon I'm wrong, but is it the butler guy in Scary Movie 2?

No, he's a young guy, early 20's and i think he's the neigbour who lives down the hall or something? he wears gym gear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Over the Top?

nope, it's like a modern enough film - i Thought it was Napolean Dynamite but it's a film kind of like that

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

There was a Simpson's episode with that plot, Homer becomes and arm wrestler

I was almost certain that this movie stared John Lithgow but could not find it here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001475/

A white US soldier (higher ranking) brings home the body of a dead black soldier for burial. He meets a lot of racism in the small town. I think this was made in the mid 80s.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

It was a film like a rom com or drama, and the guy that they knew just had this massive arm and every time he was in shot he was lifting a weight with just that one arm

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Worztron wrote: »
    I was almost certain that this movie stared John Lithgow but could not find it here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001475/

A white US soldier (higher ranking) brings home the body of a dead black soldier for burial. He meets a lot of racism in the small town. I think this was made in the mid 80s.

The Tuskegee Airmen??

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114745/

it's like a tame suburban america comedy type film, and the guy was Spanish i think? or of that ethnic background

Mickeroo wrote: »

Hi Mickeroo. No.

alas, i think it's beaten us

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

woozle wrote: »
    it's like a tame suburban america comedy type film, and the guy was Spanish i think? or of that ethnic background

Lady in the Water?

http://www.nickschager.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/ladyinthewaterarm_3.jpg

• Advertisement

that's totally it! thank you!

rossc007 wrote: »
    The first one sounds too much like poltergeist 2 to be ignored, heres a scene :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=028Rt_mEWJk&feature=related

NICE! That's it exactly! The very scene I was on about! I had Poltergeist in mind but knew it was not [the first one]! Now I know why I was thinking Poltergeist! Thanks so much! I'm in your debt!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

Sounds like Resting Place (1986) which is on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

A man walking through a bushy area and some guy with an axe or a hatchet attacking him, pretty sure he kept hitting him in the head, then wrapped his body in plastic and threw it into the river.

The next scene was a guy with a bandaged head in a pub? I think..

Anyway I was about 9 at the time, I'm 27 now so the film is around 16 - 18 years old minimum.

Sorry, just remembered this when i read the thread and it interests me to see it now tongue.gif

bumped this incase any new viewers mite know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

-Vega- wrote: »
    A man walking through a bushy area and some guy with an axe or a hatchet attacking him, pretty sure he kept hitting him in the head, then wrapped his body in plastic and threw it into the river.

The next scene was a guy with a bandaged head in a pub? I think..

Anyway I was about 9 at the time, I'm 27 now so the film is around 16 - 18 years old minimum.

Sorry, just remembered this when i read the thread and it interests me to see it now tongue.gif

bumped this incase any new viewers mite know it.

I remember your first post. In it you mentioned that this was glimpsed by you while your dad watched television. Can you be sure that it was a film and not just a TV programme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nathan1234

Hey everyone, I gave up on trying this movie years ago until I found this thread, let's see if it works.

I have a memory of a movie from somewhere in the 80's or early 90's with a special liquid that gives life but makes the taker dependent on it to stay alive (I think it added years to their life). The liquid becomes like a source of currency and used for betting on these "cage fights" where the two contestants enter a virtual world for battle and spectators can watch from outside of the virtual reality to place their bets.

I believe some child mistakenly gets brought into this world through a shed of an old man (?) and I remember something to do with dominoes... but my memory might be getting mixed up with an other movie.

It's driving me crazy that I can't remember more, or the name of this movie. It is possibly a Canadian movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

brian_t wrote: »
    I remember your first post. In it you mentioned that this was glimpsed by you while your dad watched television. Can you be sure that it was a film and not just a TV programme?

Good point, hmmm, I was pretty sure it was a film because it was on for ages but could have been a mini series or anything. Ill do some more research.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wetbivybag

Hope someone can help. I just watched Tales From The Crypt - Strung Along, thinking it was the short film I remembered as kid. However, it's not. Can anyone remember another film, with exactly the same story. The film starts with the a girl lying on the floor with a puppet stabbing her. Her father (the puppeteer) comes in and has a heart attack. She gets up and her boyfriend comes in. They laugh at how much money they will inherit. Except at the end the real puppet is up in the rafters with a cut-throat razor. He swings down and cut's both of their throats. Then at the very end, there is a really low camera angle with the puppet at the far end of the room. He spots the camera and runs straight at it. I have searched and searched. I hope someone can remember this too.

Hi. This movie involved a family in a council house (I think it was in England). There were 2 teenage twin girls (I think, well they were sisters anyway and did not get along).
    It may have been made in the late 80s or early 90s. I think one of the sisters was a bit of a tomboy tearaway.

Anyone know the title? Thanks.

I found it by accident on YT, it is Life Is Sweet (1990)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

RTÉ used to show films late at night, Last Picture Show back in the 90's.

This was black & white and I think it was set in Scotland, not sure on the location
    It's a small rural village and there is a farmer, his wife and their daughter, the daughter is deaf and dumb.

One night the daughter heads to a dance and a local guy walks her home and then rapes her.
    Sure enough she becomes pregnant and has a child. At first the father is furious and demands to know who the father is so he can lay down a beating.

The daughter refuses to name the childs father and in the end, the farmer mellows and becomes a loving grandparent

I believe at a later date the childs father and the farmer confront each other and the farmer is pushed off a cliff.

I forget how it finished. It's quite a sad film and I remember it probably 15 years later.
    It's a pretty old one, help appreciated

Advertisement