Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Here's an obscure one:

It's a sci-fi post apocalypse film.

From America 1980s-1990s.

I can only remember the end.

Two guys and a woman survive an ordeal in a crazy underground
    world.

They exit the subterranian lair through a doorway into the desert.

I think the two men might have to eat the woman or maybe a dog
    so as they don't starve.

These two guys walk off as friends.

That's all I can recall. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Here's an obscure one:

A Boy and his Dog

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Boy_and_His_Dog

Riskymove wrote: »

Excellent! That's the one.

Thanks for the input! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

Hours on end of Google can't help me with this one. Remember watching it a few years back on French TV. :

Film starts in Paris with a young boy playing an older Jewish man at chess in a bar/café.

Later the boy returns as an adult and plays him again. Another man arrives at the apartment and the old man fights him, ending up shooting and killing him. He is chased through Paris.

The boy (as an adult) is some form of a police inspector and goes to a paintings auction and later ends up staying with a woman he met there at a country house. Her husband is German and has old nazi films in his office at work.

Also remember the old man (must have escaped ?) in Germany with a stolen painting. Scenes with docklands, a warehouse and a docklands employee helping someone to gain access to a computer database. Police arrived shortly after. Ties the grown up boy (with handcuffs) to a tree.

Thinking it has something to do with recovering the lost paintings that disappeared during the reign of Hitler ?

BK92 wrote: »
    Hours on end of Google can't help me with this one. Remember watching it a few years back on French TV. :

Film starts in Paris with a young boy playing an older Jewish man at chess in a bar/café.

Later the boy returns as an adult and plays him again. Another man arrives at the apartment and the old man fights him, ending up shooting and killing him. He is chased through Paris.

The boy (as an adult) is some form of a police inspector and goes to a paintings auction and later ends up staying with a woman he met there at a country house. Her husband is German and has old nazi films in his office at work.

Also remember the old man (must have escaped ?) in Germany with a stolen painting. Scenes with docklands, a warehouse and a docklands employee helping someone to gain access to a computer database. Police arrived shortly after. Ties the grown up boy (with handcuffs) to a tree.

Thinking it has something to do with recovering the lost paintings that disappeared during the reign of Hitler ?

I had a look around for "films featuring chess" and found this thread:

http://mubi.com/topics/films-about-chess

A quick search for the word "French" reveals:

Dangerous Moves (1984) :

"One is a 52-year-old Soviet Jew who holds the title, and the other is a 35-year-
    old genius
    who defected to the West several years earlier."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_Moves

Is that the one?

The standard of identification is really high lately, so I'm
    reposting this old puzzler:

It is an American film from the late 80s - early 90s.

I think it was a made for TV job.

It was about a man and a woman who were recovering drug addicts.

The man got a job in a cinema. His old drug dealer comes to see him
    to try to tempt him back to doing drugs.

The woman has very blonde hair. If you saw her, you'd say she was Swedish-looking.

She is a nurse. She collapses in work and it is discovered she is using drugs.

I don't remember if the needle marks are discovered on her arms, or if
    they find bottles of drugs in her pockets when they are trying to revive her.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

I recall seeing a part of this movie. A young man comes across this guy (played by John Hurt). The guy lives in a forest and picks up roadkill to cook for dinner. Anyone know this?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Worztron wrote: »
    I recall seeing a part of this movie. A young man comes across this guy (played by John Hurt). The guy lives in a forest and picks up roadkill to cook for dinner. Anyone know this?

All the Little Animals.

Not Interceptor perchance?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104516/

That one is confirmed as Interceptor.

Jurgen is torturing an Air Force guy with a poisionous snake.

He gives him the antidote for information, but then tells the guy
    that he has just inejected himself with carbonated water, which
    causes the guy to have a heart attack.

Another one off the list! Thanks Snake Plissken

This was a French movie. There was a husband and wife. A handy man is called. It turns out to be a lesbian plumber that ends up seducing the wife. The husband and a male friend were cycling and stop for wine. The friend freaks out after a rant about women. Does anyone know the movie title? The year was 90s or 2000s. Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Worztron wrote: »
    This was a French movie. There was a husband and wife. A handy man is called. It turns out to be a lesbian plumber that ends up seducing the wife. The husband and a male friend were cycling and stop for wine. The friend freaks out after a rant about women. Does anyone know the movie title? The year was 90s or 2000s. Thanks.

Gazon Maudit :)

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »

Fair play to you Mickeroo. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113149/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Hey, dont have much info on this, he was pretty young in it late teens early twenties, wore a long black coat for most of it. He played (i think) a secretly rich kid, playing homeless with a gang of other homeless people and becomes sortof their leader. thats all i can think of .

any help appriciated dudes.

Perry

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Brotherhood of Justice?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090775/

no thanks though, he (most of the characters) plays a pretty eccentric guy, and
    they talk in old english type language in a drunkin kinda way (however its not an old english film). its based in an american city like new york or boston maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Old Perry wrote: »
    Hey, dont have much info on this, he was pretty young in it late teens early twenties, wore a long black coat for most of it. He played (i think) a secretly rich kid, playing homeless with a gang of other homeless people and becomes sortof their leader. thats all i can think of .

any help appriciated dudes.

Perry

My Own Private Idaho
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102494/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Mz Lazy wrote: »
    Ok once again my head's wrecked with a movie I can think of, it used to be a childhood fave... here's the info I can remember:

- Very old movie, from the 70's maybe or just a cheap 80's film
    - Grave stones come out of the ground, especially the front garden
    - Tiles in the kitchen break and stuff comes up out of the ground
    - Somethings in the bed room and theres all this wind and goo (yes goo) and possibly the child is raised up, maybe pinned against the wall
    - its definatly a paranormal movie, about ghosts or demons

Thats it, hope ye can help, I'd like to watch it again :D

Edit: Oh and even though its on my rewatch list, I don't think its poltergeist!

You sure? sounds exactly like it! House was built on an old graveyard.burial site, storm one night and the graves all come up out of the ground,then theres the Bedroom,wind,goo (pink) and the child (Carol Anne).

EarlERizer wrote: »

watched a couple of clips and thats the one, it was a bad discribtion cause i was sure it wasn my own private idaho, thanks dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

I had a look around for "films featuring chess" and found this thread:

http://mubi.com/topics/films-about-chess

A quick search for the word "French" reveals:

Dangerous Moves (1984) :

"One is a 52-year-old Soviet Jew who holds the title, and the other is a 35-year-
    old genius
    who defected to the West several years earlier."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_Moves

Is that the one?

The standard of identification is really high lately, so I'm
    reposting this old puzzler:

It is an American film from the late 80s - early 90s.

I think it was a made for TV job.

It was about a man and a woman who were recovering drug addicts.

The man got a job in a cinema. His old drug dealer comes to see him
    to try to tempt him back to doing drugs.

The woman has very blonde hair. If you saw her, you'd say she was Swedish-looking.

She is a nurse. She collapses in work and it is discovered she is using drugs.

I don't remember if the needle marks are discovered on her arms, or if
    they find bottles of drugs in her pockets when they are trying to revive her.

Any ideas?

Thanks a million :)

On the subject of chess, I recently identified a film I saw years ago.

It's called Fresh

It's about a kid genius who lives in the ghetto and plays chess with
    his penniless dad, played by Samuel L. Jackson.

The kid is a drug dealer, and after his boss murders an innocent girl,
    he decides to use all his brain power and street smarts for revenge
    against his boss.

It's a real forgotten gem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

A CGI film i saw clips of in Tesco. Men in suits like CIA or government agents were seen climbing up a long steps into a UFO? I think. I think one had square thivk rimmed glasses

I think CGI is the correct term, it is the animation like that of Shrek

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ANSI wrote: »
    A CGI film i saw clips of in Tesco. Men in suits like CIA or government agents were seen climbing up a long steps into a UFO? I think. I think one had square thivk rimmed glasses

I think CGI is the correct term, it is the animation like that of Shrek

Planet 51 maybe??

Planet 51 maybe??
    it seems more like the alien is on earth. there are also lots of soldiers in the background and helicopters flying over. It is like government guys in black suits/white shirt/black tie meeting aliens with soldiers for back up in case of trouble. thanks

EarlERizer wrote: »
    You sure? sounds exactly like it! House was built on an old graveyard.burial site, storm one night and the graves all come up out of the ground,then theres the Bedroom,wind,goo (pink) and the child (Carol Anne).

That is poltergeist all right. One of them shouts "son of a bitch you/he moved the headstones but never moved the bodies" or similar words when the bodies begin to rise at the end

scroll to Steve Freeling

ANSI wrote: »
    it seems more like the alien is on earth. there are also lots of soldiers in the background and helicopters flying over. It is like government guys in black suits/white shirt/black tie meeting aliens with soldiers for back up in case of trouble. thanks

The only other ones that spring to mind are Monsters Vs Aliens and Mars Needs Moms.

Monsters Vs Aliens
    Thats it thanks.This is the clip I saw in Tesco

Hi all

I have a request about an animation I saw several years ago.

It was a stop-motion short film. It was from Eastern Europe.

It was about these metal cans of fruit that lived in a city.

These cans created political parties and held demonstrations against each
    others ideologies - like grapes are better than peaches etc. depending on
    the label that was on the can.

Some of the cans are sent to prison and a revolt breaks out.

It was a really well made satire, I would love to see it again.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Hi all

I have a request about an animation I saw several years ago.

It was a stop-motion short film. It was from Eastern Europe.

It was about these metal cans of fruit that lived in a city.

These cans created political parties and held demonstrations against each
    others ideologies - like grapes are better than peaches etc. depending on
    the label that was on the can.

Some of the cans are sent to prison and a revolt breaks out.

It was a really well made satire, I would love to see it again.

Thanks
    Konservfilm??

Ah yes, that's the one. Very funny and cute little can-people
    as I remember.

Thanks for the input! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bhk123

I need help identifying this movie

Its a sci fi movie (maybe an episode or somthing.....) probably 1998-2005, i think a tv movie or a mini-series, the hero he has a computer he speaks to (female voice), and there is a terrorist i think that kidnaps a girl..... i am only sure about the ending in wich the hero beats the villain in a virtual reality game that looks like half life( a fist person shooter) using the rocket luancher wich he finds tnx to his computer female voiced. tnx in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 bhk123

bhk123 wrote: »
    I need help identifying this movie

Its a sci fi movie (maybe an episode or somthing.....) probably 1998-2005, i think a tv movie or a mini-series, the hero he has a computer he speaks to (female voice), and there is a terrorist i think that kidnaps a girl..... i am only sure about the ending in wich the hero beats the villain in a virtual reality game that looks like half life( a fist person shooter) using the rocket luancher wich he finds tnx to his computer female voiced. tnx in advance

lets see i think i also recall a secne in wich after the bad guy kidnaps the girl (or maybe just tricks her or charms her), i think he licks 2 small "thingis" and connects them to her forehead in order to control this "super computer" with lots of tera bites or somthing...

he probably needs some information from her or somthing

Advertisement