Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

Sounds like a scene from 'Once Upon A Time In America'
    Robert DeNiro was in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Time_in_America

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Foreign film (French, as far as I remember) with an old man on his death bed, remembering his life. One sequence has his younger self going to the beach with an older woman, presumably the village flirt, who promises she'll "teach him everything he needs to know about women", or something like that. I saw it on TV over twenty years ago, so it can't be any later than 1985, to allow for it turning up on television. It could be some very well known arthouse thing, for all I know, but I've no idea what it is.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,274 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Foreign film (French, as far as I remember) with an old man on his death bed, remembering his life. One sequence has his younger self going to the beach with an older woman, presumably the village flirt, who promises she'll "teach him everything he needs to know about women", or something like that. I saw it on TV over twenty years ago, so it can't be any later than 1985, to allow for it turning up on television. It could be some very well known arthouse thing, for all I know, but I've no idea what it is.

Wild Strawberries? It was swedish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

No, it's not Wild Strawberries, but thanks for the suggestion.
    I should have said it was in colour.
    Probably made in the seventies or early eighties.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ktull3

374417_1796405946025_1220527462_n.jpg

What movie is this from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

ktull3 wrote: »
    374417_1796405946025_1220527462_n.jpg

What movie is this from?

I'm probablywrong but it looks like same acting face hoffman had in marathon man.don'tremember a lady in a wedding dress though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

crazygeryy wrote: »
    I'm probablywrong but it looks like same acting face hoffman had in marathon man.don'tremember a lady in a wedding dress though.

The Graduate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's from The Graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

Seen a movie in the early 90's. It was about an actress who is playing a cop in some movie, she wears the uniform home and loving the power it gives her, becomes a vigilante. It was an American or Canadian film and was out around the same time as Reservoir dogs. Any suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

zombiepaw wrote: »
    Seen a movie in the early 90's. It was about an actress who is playing a cop in some movie, she wears the uniform home and loving the power it gives her, becomes a vigilante. It was an American or Canadian film and was out around the same time as Reservoir dogs. Any suggestions
    I Love a Man in Uniform, although it was a male actor in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Draydis80

Stinicker wrote: »
    I am trying to recall a movie I watched several years ago (probably a 90's film) and can't think of the name, there is a scene where the protagonist is going up a stairs and catches a fat cop with a hooker in a compromising position. The protagonist had earlier had some involvement with the hooker but when he was told she was a hooker from his buddy he brushed off the notion.

I really can't think of the name or the actor who played the protagonist and it may have been Gabriel Byrne or Aidan Quinn and I think the role was that of an italian so it may not have been either of them too.

Any ideas?

I think you're thinking of sea of love with Al Pacino and Ellen Barkin. I think John Goodman is the fat cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

Darvich wrote: »
    I Love a Man in Uniform, although it was a male actor in that.

Thank you, I don't know why I thought it was a female actor in the lead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Title pretty much says it all...

I t was previewed in the IFI about a year ago, Irish made about a group of teenagers having a house party but the trailer suggested that all wasn;t as it seemed or else something went very wrong....seemed like it could of been very decent.

Anyone have any clue what film i'm talking about? I'd love to track it down but have no chance without the name

Cheers

Edit : It wasn't 'What Richard Did'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

That would be Kirsten Sheridan's "Dollhouse". Saw the trailer myself in the IFI. Was shocked by how bad it looked. That's why I remember it.

That would be Kirsten Sheridan's "Dollhouse". Saw the trailer myself in the IFI. Was shocked by how bad it looked. That's why I remember it.

Boom thats it! Cheers

It was terrible was it?

I just remember being intrigued by the trailer, but now I have the name and after reading some reviews it does sound a little bit too off the wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

I only saw the trailer but it came across as one of those highbrow teenage dramas you would find on channel 4. The classical soundtrack grated me as well-trying to make it look like Clockwork Orange and appear like a nihilistic dysfunctional kids romp. Mind you that's just what I got from the trailer. I haven't seen the film so the jury is out.

I only saw the trailer but it came across as one of those highbrow teenage dramas you would find on channel 4. The classical soundtrack grated me as well-trying to make it look like Clockwork Orange and appear like a nihilistic dysfunctional kids romp. Mind you that's just what I got from the trailer. I haven't seen the film so the jury is out.

Ye very C4 vibe off the trailer alright, like a darker version of skins.

After reading some reviews it seems there is some plot twist towards the end that borders on the preposterous. I'd still like to have a look to see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

Just spotted this creepy but cool gif:

tumblr_mabh74I7Jf1qfxsjpo1_400.gif

Anyone know the movie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

welkin wrote: »
    Just spotted this creepy but cool gif:

Anyone know the movie?

Is it not just Tuesday from the original Addams Family?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

Is it not just Tuesday from the original Addams Family?

Could be - I found it on "movie gifs" but it never said where it was from.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just re: Dollhouse. It's an interesting enough idea - filmed with a young cast who have no idea what's going to happen next. But it's more admirable in theory than in practice. It's very one note, and none of the characters are likeable or even entirely convincing. There's a few nice flourishes here and there, but disappointing overall.

And yes the end is ridiculous.

Just re: Dollhouse. It's an interesting enough idea - filmed with a young cast who have no idea what's going to happen next. But it's more admirable in theory than in practice. It's very one note, and none of the characters are likeable or even entirely convincing. There's a few nice flourishes here and there, but disappointing overall.

And yes the end is ridiculous.

Could you PM me a very very short synopsis and the ending please? Mainly the ending i'm interested in

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

welkin wrote: »
    Could be - I found it on "movie gifs" but it never said where it was from.

It certainly is Wednesday Addams from the original series, played by Lisa Loring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Weird question this: I'm looking to identify a song/piece of music from a film, rather than a specific film.

The film that the music is in is Any Given Sunday. The music in question is the piece of dance/techno/electronica that is playing during the game between the Miami Sharks and the Dallas Knights. The music begins almost immediately after Al Pacino delivers his famous speech, and the music plays for some of the opening exchanges of the game.

If anyone has any info on what this piece of music is, cheers. I've heard it before and I just think that I know who the artist is but I'm not sure. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

DazMarz wrote: »
    Weird question this: I'm looking to identify a song/piece of music from a film, rather than a specific film.

The film that the music is in is Any Given Sunday. The music in question is the piece of dance/techno/electronica that is playing during the game between the Miami Sharks and the Dallas Knights. The music begins almost immediately after Al Pacino delivers his famous speech, and the music plays for some of the opening exchanges of the game.

If anyone has any info on what this piece of music is, cheers. I've heard it before and I just think that I know who the artist is but I'm not sure. Thanks!

I reckon this is what you're looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Here's a list of all the tunes in the movie:

http://www.what-song.com/Movies/Soundtrack/499/Any-Given-Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

roanoke wrote: »
    I reckon this is what you're looking for?

Thanks!!! That is it! I was totally bloody tortured over that. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 craggle

I watched a film on tv3 years ago, probably 2002 or2003. It was clearly a made for tv film and i never noted the name of it but it was so brilliantly bad that i still remember it with fondness and want to see it again.

It was set on a plane with a pilot called Lucky. The plane couldnt level out after take off and the reason was that there were coin collectors with coins in their hand luggage which affected the centre of gravity. It was supposed to be a disaster type film but we laughed all the way through it.

I google it a good bit but ive never found out what it was called. Might have to write to TV3 if no one on boards can help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

... There wasn't any snakes on this plane were there? :pac:

Advertisement