Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

• Registered Users Posts: 46 craggle

No snakes but it looks like there were no coin collectors either, ill have to watch the film to be sure. Orlyice, thank you so much, this has been on my mind for years! Thats my weekend viewing sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Was just thinking about a movie I seen a bit of during my LC. I didn't see the whole movie, but the part I remember was in a woods, and there was a guy(could have been naked and curled in a ball) screaming. I think it was about how war can mess with the mind. And we watched it cause of a poem or a poet we were studying, I'm not sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Was just thinking about a movie I seen a bit of during my LC. I didn't see the whole movie, but the part I remember was in a woods, and there was a guy(could have been naked and curled in a ball) screaming. I think it was about how war can mess with the mind. And we watched it cause of a poem or a poet we were studying, I'm not sure though.

I've never seen the film, I read the book, but I'm guessing it's Regeneration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regeneration_(1997_film)

The poet is Siegfried Sassoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this one has been bugging me for years and maybe too obscure to get

it was a 70's film and one of the scenes I remember is about a guy in a cage with nothing but darkness outside of it and he is dressed like someone from the late 1800's
    He has been kidnapped by aliens or some other creatures as you never see them only their disembodied voices and they are curious about him and mankind as they ask him questions about humans
    later on they put a woman in there and she attacks him thinking he is the cause and the voices ask are they having sex but he tells them no but they do later on but he insists they turn off the lights and they are disappointed.
    the only other scene I remember is he is in a box in a theatre I think looking down at a younger version of himself like the end of 2001: A space Oddyssey

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Skerries wrote: »
    this one has been bugging me for years and maybe too obscure to get

it was a 70's film and one of the scenes I remember is about a guy in a cage with nothing but darkness outside of it and he is dressed like someone from the late 1800's
    He has been kidnapped by aliens or some other creatures as you never see them only their disembodied voices and they are curious about him and mankind as they ask him questions about humans
    later on they put a woman in there and she attacks him thinking he is the cause and the voices ask are they having sex but he tells them no but they do later on but he insists they turn off the lights and they are disappointed.
    the only other scene I remember is he is in a box in a theatre I think looking down at a younger version of himself like the end of 2001: A space Oddyssey

I've only read the book, but it sounds very similar to Slaughterhouse Five.

it could be that, i'll watch it on youtube and verify

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

Im looking for a film I remember bits of from when I was a kid.
    It was a comedy.
    It was about a family who had crazy neighbours and the dad used to play music through speakers at night to try annoy them.
    Another part had all the town mothers at a crockery convention thing every week but they just kept getting gravy boats eventually they all lost the rag and attacked everyone on stage with them.
    The only other part I remember was a police officer was hassling the family and when he let them pass the father shouted "Sonofabitch' as they drove past.

I thought it was Steve Martin with brown hair but I checked his filmography and its not him i can picture the actor but cant think of his name for the life of me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Gitb1 wrote: »
    Im looking for a film I remember bits of from when I was a kid.
    It was a comedy.
    It was about a family who had crazy neighbours and the dad used to play music through speakers at night to try annoy them.
    Another part had all the town mothers at a crockery convention thing every week but they just kept getting gravy boats eventually they all lost the rag and attacked everyone on stage with them.
    The only other part I remember was a police officer was hassling the family and when he let them pass the father shouted "Sonofabitch' as they drove past.

I thought it was Steve Martin with brown hair but I checked his filmography and its not him i can picture the actor but cant think of his name for the life of me

When you said "Steve Martin with brown hair" I took a gamble and googled "Charles Grodin Gravy Boat"

Came up with this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Runs_in_the_Family_(1994_film)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

roanoke wrote: »
    When you said "Steve Martin with brown hair" I took a gamble and googled "Charles Grodin Gravy Boat"

Came up with this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Runs_in_the_Family_(1994_film)

My hero! Thats been getting to me for months!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Skerries wrote: »
    it could be that, i'll watch it on youtube and verify

It totally is. Watched it not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

I havn't many details of this movie as I basically only saw one scene, I was about 5 and that scene scarred me for years, so just curious now as to what it was. basically there was 2 guys in a jungle/forest setting, and were jumping off a little cliff into the lake below, and just swimming around. then one of the men gets out of the lake and walks back up the cliff thing, he calls out for his friend wondering where he is. then he notices something on the ground, picks it up only to discover its a human eye, he starts screaming crazily (cue me balling crying and running out of the room :L)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,274 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

123 LC wrote: »
    I havn't many details of this movie as I basically only saw one scene, I was about 5 and that scene scarred me for years, so just curious now as to what it was. basically there was 2 guy in a jungle/forest setting, and were jumping off a little cliff into the lake below, and just swimming around. then one of the men gets out of the lake and walks back up the cliff thing, he calls out for his friend wondering where he is. then he notices something on the ground, picks it up only to discover its a human eye, he starts screaming crazily (cue me balling crying and running out of the room :L)

Sounds vaguely like the first scene in Congo. Bruce Campbell is the guy who picks up the eye. They weren't jumping off a cliff but they were swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sounds vaguely like the first scene in Congo. Bruce Campbell is the guy who picks up the eye. They weren't jumping off a cliff but they were swimming.

yes that's definitely it! thanks..

I've only read the book, but it sounds very similar to Slaughterhouse Five.

It was, Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

A couple that I've been trying in vain to place for some time now, may or may not be from the same movie, as they were seen so long ago I may have mistakenly lumped them together.

The first, and I believe this to be the opening of the movie, is of an elderly couple in a dark coloured car, 50's or 60's american saloon if I'm not mistaken. They drive into a deserted town where they stop for reasons I can't recall, what follows I cannot say but the couple meet their demise all as a black crow looks on, their car is then pushed into a ditch where it joins a dozen or so other abandoned vehicles.

The second scene, and again this may or may not be from the same movie, revolves around a rock band, fronted by two brothers, they may be twins. One is falsely accused of a crime, I believe it may have been rape, whereby he is quickly taken to a barn and hanged by the local townspeople. This part of the movie may have a documentary type feel, and be interspersed with interviews taken after the fact by a female investigative reporter.

My apologies if the above is overly cryptic, the above are scenes I remember watching as a child in the early nineties, I don't remember the movie being too old at the time, so I'm assuming it's an eighties movie, thank you.

A couple that I've been trying in vain to place for some time now, may or may not be from the same movie, as they were seen so long ago I may have mistakenly lumped them together.

The first, and I believe this to be the opening of the movie, is of an elderly couple in a dark coloured car, 50's or 60's american saloon if I'm not mistaken. They drive into a deserted town where they stop for reasons I can't recall, what follows I cannot say but the couple meet their demise all as a black crow looks on, their car is then pushed into a ditch where it joins a dozen or so other abandoned vehicles.

The second scene, and again this may or may not be from the same movie, revolves around a rock band, fronted by two brothers, they may be twins. One is falsely accused of a crime, I believe it may have been rape, whereby he is quickly taken to a barn and hanged by the local townspeople. This part of the movie may have a documentary type feel, and be interspersed with interviews taken after the fact by a female investigative reporter.

My apologies if the above is overly cryptic, the above are scenes I remember watching as a child in the early nineties, I don't remember the movie being too old at the time, so I'm assuming it's an eighties movie, thank you.

The first sounds like The Cars That Ate Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

The first sounds like The Cars That Ate Paris.

Would you believe I actually thought that, ordered the DVD of Amazon only to discover it's most definitely not that :( decent movie though all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

Hey all I am looking for one for my Dad. He remembers seeing it in the cinema around 1960. He remembers it is a war movie with a sniper that is fond of killing non-combatants. He remembers jungles so maybe Korean war or the Pacific theater of WW2. The bit he remembers from it is that the good guy gets the snipers rifle and breaks it over some rocks and literally walks into the sunset with his lady. Sorry for being so vague any help would be appreciated.

Would you believe I actually thought that, ordered the DVD of Amazon only to discover it's most definitely not that :( decent movie though all the same.

Try Dead & Buried. Been awhile since I saw it but it deals with townsfolk murdering tourists and is bloody good fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Could it be one of the Children of the Corn movies?

There are 6 or 7 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

i'm looking for a japanese horror film i saw a few years back, i think it japanese but could be korean but oriental anyway. i dont have much to go on but it follows a serial killer or an assassin who has an apartment in a city. some footage of him in an old van waiting for a victim, think it s a serial killer cos the victim is innocent i think. then there is a bit in a country house where there is another guy who is wanting to capture the main fella and does but he gets his comeuppance. sorry its really vague. good scene in the house in the country with lots of blood and gore - please help. i can't think of it and looking up japanese horrors isn't helping:)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,274 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

breadbin wrote: »
    i'm looking for a japanese horror film i saw a few years back, i think it japanese but could be korean but oriental anyway. i dont have much to go on but it follows a serial killer or an assassin who has an apartment in a city. some footage of him in an old van waiting for a victim, think it s a serial killer cos the victim is innocent i think. then there is a bit in a country house where there is another guy who is wanting to capture the main fella and does but he gets his comeuppance. sorry its really vague. good scene in the house in the country with lots of blood and gore - please help. i can't think of it and looking up japanese horrors isn't helping:)

I Saw the Devil?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

wow thanks for that! it sure is I saw the devil:) that was quick!

breadbin wrote: »
    wow thanks for that! it sure is I saw the devil:) that was quick!

The house in the country was what gave it away. It's Korean btw, which was probably why it wasn't coming up when you searched :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 moerto325

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bJGm4AmNc4i
    i m looking for this movie!thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭scoobydoobie

Good thread, i have been trying to find a movie i seen when i was a kid, but can't find anything about it online, im sure it was a movie and not a program, it was about two kids, one was a homeless kid he was coloured, and a white kid who lived at home, they both get up to some mischief including stealing cars, im nearly sure it was called hot shots, anyone remember it?

Edit to add; anyone know if there is a thread like this for forgotten snacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

Good thread, i have been trying to find a movie i seen when i was a kid, but can't find anything about it online, im sure it was a movie and not a program, it was about two kids, one was a homeless kid he was coloured, and a white kid who lived at home, they both get up to some mischief including stealing cars, im nearly sure it was called hot shots, anyone remember it?
    Hot Shots (1956) ?? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049336/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
    Edit to add; anyone know if there is a thread like this for forgotten snacks?
    All Things Retro http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=253

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭scoobydoobie

Thanks Brian, unfortunately not the one, the way i remember it, i would say it was an eighties move, sorry i should have said, thanks for the link to the other section, i will check that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El_robbo1980

Hi,

Film was fairly recent, an American comedy I think. There's one bit where the main character is drunk or falls into a hole in a garden for a pool maybe and then a woman appears in a bra and knickers jumping on his back?
    Any help?

Advertisement