Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

any idea who is in it? im not one for french movies tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Whybin

No idea unfortunately, I'm not a french film buff myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

Hi all

Hoping you can help me on this one......I remember very little of it though! ( unsurprisingly):p
    From what i remember it was a movie set in frontier america and there was a guy with a dog I THINK called Buck.
    Towards the end of the film he places a bet that his dog could pull a 2,000lb sled .....and he does even though it was frozen to the ground.....not much to go on there but I have faith in you all! :D

Thanks in Advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Zadkiel wrote: »
    Hi all

Hoping you can help me on this one......I remember very little of it though! ( unsurprisingly):p
    From what i remember it was a movie set in frontier america and there was a guy with a dog I THINK called Buck.
    Towards the end of the film he places a bet that his dog could pull a 2,000lb sled .....and he does even though it was frozen to the ground.....not much to go on there but I have faith in you all! :D

Thanks in Advance

Think it's ... Call Of The Wild (1972)

Thanks OutlawPete but no thats not it.:(
    It wasn't charlton heston the guy in it had a beard and the dog was big like a St bernard or leonberger !

• Advertisement

Thanks OutlawPete but no thats not it.:(
    It wasn't charlton heston the guy in it had a beard and the dog was big like a St bernard or leonberger !

What year, approx, would you say it was made?

OutlawPete wrote: »
    What year, approx, would you say it was made?

I would say mid -late 70's!

I would say mid -late 70's!

I'm near 100% sure it's Call Of The Wild that you are talking about.

The problem is finding the one you seen as there have been many versions.

The only versions that I could find in the 70's was the one I already posted and this TV version:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074270/

Here is another screen adaption also, but it is from 1935 with Clark Gable, maybe you seen a tecnicolour enhanced version?

And here's a 1997 version with Richard Dreyfrus:

Thanks Pete....
    for some reason I dont think any of these are them, but theres only one way to find out. I'm going to get a copy of the Charlton Heston one and watch it, I'll let you know!
    Thanks again for taking the time

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Going bit nuts here, please help. Saw it about 10 years ago on tv. No famous actors afaik. Had a definitive action look/feel of Luc Besson movie. Combed imdb.com for his work but could not find it.

Description (apologies if this gets infantile): A criminal gang of 4-5 people is being chased by police. Police chief is portrayed as a disgusting corrupt male of 40-ish... There is a scene where he is devouring a hotdog look-a-like sandwich full of greasy mess (why do I remember this? :o:o). Gang leader has a gfriend, who can not speak (deaf-mute). One of the gang members is (dressed like) a priest. They have these guns (please don't laugh) that when bullets hit something / someone it sends those objects flying through the air, as if the bullets themselves had explosive charge.

I'd really like to know the name of this movie, despite its clearly being, aheem, what it is, judging by my description. Thanks. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Damo123

There was film I only ever saw the trailer for. It looked good and I planned on buying it but I forgot all about it until a few months ago and now I cant remember the name.

I think it was a comedy.

All I remember from the trailer was a cop goes into a take out, orders a burger.... and the guy who takes his order says the down the microphone... "its for a cop"... then the cops all like.. "whyd ya say it was for a cop, is he gonna spit in that burger"...

Any helps would be appreciated biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Damo123 wrote: »
    There was film I only ever saw the trailer for. It looked good and I planned on buying it but I forgot all about it until a few months ago and now I cant remember the name.

I think it was a comedy.

All I remember from the trailer was a cop goes into a take out, orders a burger.... and the guy who takes his order says the down the microphone... "its for a cop"... then the cops all like.. "whyd ya say it was for a cop, is he gonna spit in that burger"...

Any helps would be appreciated biggrin.gif

Super Troopers

jasonorr wrote: »

Thanks Jason... smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Going bit nuts here, please help. Saw it about 10 years ago on tv. No famous actors afaik. Had a definitive action look/feel of Luc Besson movie. Combed imdb.com for his work but could not find it.

Description (apologies if this gets infantile): A criminal gang of 4-5 people is being chased by police. Police chief is portrayed as a disgusting corrupt male of 40-ish... There is a scene where he is devouring a hotdog look-a-like sandwich full of greasy mess (why do I remember this? :o:o). Gang leader has a gfriend, who can not speak (deaf-mute). One of the gang members is (dressed like) a priest. They have these guns (please don't laugh) that when bullets hit something / someone it sends those objects flying through the air, as if the bullets themselves had explosive charge.

I'd really like to know the name of this movie, despite its clearly being, aheem, what it is, judging by my description. Thanks. ;)

Dobermann. Crazy film indeed. ;)

Dobermann. Crazy film indeed. ;)

Bang on!!!! Dobermann it is!!! Many thanks Karl Hungus. I won't even dare to ask how did you manage to dig this out. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Bang on!!!! Dobermann it is!!! Many thanks Karl Hungus. I won't even dare to ask how did you manage to dig this out. Thanks again.

I have it on DVD, knew it right away from your description. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

OK, here's one:

Set in London, a kind of low budget ensemble piece - about 5 or 6 different interwoven story strands, nobody famous in it really, a bittersweet kind of Mike leigh type thing (but it's not him) and I think it all takes place over the course of one night. There's a black taxi driver in it and he spends a fair bit of time in a café. It's certainly no older than early 90s.

As to what happens - well, nothing much really, it's one of those, but it's very good IIRC.

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 somethinghuman

It sounds a bit like the German film - 2 Männer, 2 Frauen, 4 Probleme.

It's about a woman who finds out her loser husband is cheating on her. He's in Venice with his lover so she decides to kidnap the lovers's lawyer husband and drive him and her two kids from Munich to Venice to confront their cheating spouses. He thinks she's insane, she thinks he's a pig.

Of course the lawyer is allergic to kids and they get into all kinds of scrapes along the way but eventually fall in love and he becomes a father figure to the kids, while their respective spouses relationship starts to fall apart.

Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Whybin

This sounds right, I'll have to find it and be sure but from what I can see of it on youtube I think you've done it.

Thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

What's that movie where there's a Spanish teacher who is a monk? He was an awesome character and I'm racking my brains trying to remember what he was actually in!

• Advertisement

THeres a film I wanted to see. Its recent enough. I only saw the trailer for this film. And from the trailer I remember one line sayin something close to (or to the extent of) "everyone gets burned with their own bomb from time to time".... at this point in the trailer it was showing the bomb maker but he was missing a finger or something...

This could be wrong... BUt from very hazy memory. I think it might have a middle eastern thing going on with it. And again this could be wrong. BUt I think the film could have being centered around some sort CIA group trying to catch the bomber.

I know that description could be a thousand different films. But maybe somebody will recognise it biggrin.gif

Is it The Kingdom ?

And the post bofore, you are not thinking of Nacho Libre, per chance ???

Is it The Kingdom ?
    ???

No its defo not that. BUt that looks like a good film all the same. Hope extravision has that tonite :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Sounds a bit like Traitor but the trailer doesn't have that quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭1stimpressions

Okay so this film is animated from actual footage (technique?) with real actors much like A Scanner Darkly. The film follows a young man/teenager on his lucid dreams and meets thinkers from all over the world giving him their opinion on reality and life etc. Im thinking it came out circa 2003 but could be off by a few years. Caught it on tv late one night and could not find it on the long list of animation on wikipedia.

Ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Okay so this film is animated from actual footage (technique?) with real actors much like A Scanner Darkly. The film follows a young man/teenager on his lucid dreams and meets thinkers from all over the world giving him their opinion on reality and life etc. Im thinking it came out circa 2003 but could be off by a few years. Caught it on tv late one night and could not find it on the long list of animation on wikipedia.

Ideas?

Sounds like Waking Life. Also directed by Richard Linklater.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243017/

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭1stimpressions

Sounds like Waking Life. Also directed by Richard Linklater.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243017/

right you are, enjoyed that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

THeres a film I wanted to see. Its recent enough. I only saw the trailer for this film. And from the trailer I remember one line sayin something close to (or to the extent of) "everyone gets burned with their own bomb from time to time".... at this point in the trailer it was showing the bomb maker but he was missing a finger or something...

This could be wrong... BUt from very hazy memory. I think it might have a middle eastern thing going on with it. And again this could be wrong. BUt I think the film could have being centered around some sort CIA group trying to catch the bomber.

I know that description could be a thousand different films. But maybe somebody will recognise it biggrin.gif

Im pretty sure the scene youre describing is in the Kingdom but i could be wrong and youre pretty sure thats not the one so two other films that sound quite similar are Syriana and Body of Lies if thats any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

I agree:Grant Sykes: I]upon seeing Al Ghazi inspecting hands of dead bodies[/I Fingerprints are on the other side.
    Colonel Faris Al Ghazi: I'm not looking for fingerprints.
    Grant Sykes: Then what are you doing?
    Colonel Faris Al Ghazi: Fingers.

I can't find quote but it's surely on 'commecial trailer' on facebook. Play that and see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JennyBeGood

Hihi!

I'm going crazy here! I know the song "I think its going to rain today" was used in a film, it sounded like it was sung by a French voice but I cannot think of what film! Its driving me nuts! The opening line is "Broken windows and empty hallways", I know that can be heard clearly. Can anyone help?

Oh and I know from googling that it was sung by Better Midler in Beaches :)

Advertisement