Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Crazy People

All I can remember from that film is the slogan:

Volvos. They're boxy but they're safe

Was it not
    "Volvos.. They're boxy, but good!",
    we still quote the line whenever we see one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I remember seeing a clip of this film on an arts review program years ago. I think it was a Scottish film. The bit I seen was set back at a house party. It had that early-morning feeling. There was a DJ playing on the right of the screen, with a bedroom doorway on the left. A couple of dodgy looking guys were standing around the bed. There was a girl lying on it and it looked like she'd passed out. They could have been raping her. A horrible image. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Sounds like the scene from Less Than Zero, with Robert Downey Junior, James Spader and Andrew McCarthy.

EDIT:
    Forget it... thats American not Scottish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Sounds like the scene from Less Than Zero, with Robert Downey Junior, James Spader and Andrew McCarthy.

EDIT:
    Forget it... thats American not Scottish

This was about 7-10 years ago. And the film had just been released. I'm fairly sure it was British (but I'm not absolutely certain).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

pow wow wrote: »
    This one has been driving me nuts for years! I'm looking for the name of a scary film that might have been for kids (it was on RTE and the like during the day) in the late 80s/early 90s. Bits I can remember are as follows:-

1. The main characters were ghosts/zombies or something similar. They looked human but I don't think they ever spoke. The main one was a kid around 9 or 10 with black bobbed hair (and a fringe I think) who used to look menacingly at the camera for what seemed like forever. There were lots of stills with the kid just staring at the camera (there may have been menacing music, or I may be losing my mind). They all looked a bit dishevelled but definitely humanlike.

2. Glowsticks! Weirdly glowsticks played a huge part in this as the zombie-esque people used to retreat to a dark cave (I think they lived in it) and towards the end of the film there was a shot of them marching en masse into the cave with their glowsticks.

I can't remember anything else about it beyond the kid with the bad haircut, the glowsticks and the cave. Help!

Thought it might have been "Monster Squad" made in the mid-late 80's although I don't remember glowsticks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Was it not
    "Volvos.. They're boxy, but good!",
    we still quote the line whenever we see one.

Ah, you're right. I've been messing up that line all this time. The line underneath was 'Be Safe instead of Sexy'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ah, you're right. I've been messing up that line all this time. The line underneath was 'Be Safe instead of Sexy'.

Come in the Bahamas!:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

There was a film released quite recently, I saw it being reviewed on TV, not sure if it was in cinema or on DVD.

I think it was English and about two sisters who were going to Cuba to scatter their dad's ashes. I can't remember anything else about it, it was quite a short review.

Any ideas?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Day of the Flowers? http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/nov/28/day-of-the-flowers-review

By the sounds of it maybe just watch I Am Cuba instead ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Day of the Flowers? http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/nov/28/day-of-the-flowers-review

By the sounds of it maybe just watch I Am Cuba instead ;)

Think that's it. Couldn't remember what they said about it so was trying to remember the name to investigate. Might not bother now. :D

Thanks though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Remember watching a biopic film about the Russian Royal family a few years back on tg4, tried searching for it but no use. anyone knows what I'm talking about?

p.s The actors in the film also spoke in English

uggybear wrote: »
    Remember watching a biopic film about the Russian Royal family a few years back on tg4, tried searching for it but no use. anyone knows what I'm talking about?

p.s The actors in the film also spoke in English

Is it an older film?
    Can you remember any of the plot?
    Black and white, or colour?

Some quick possibilities:
    Russian Ark
    Nicholas and Alexandra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Is it an older film?
    Can you remember any of the plot?
    Black and white, or colour?

Some quick possibilities:
    Russian Ark
    Nicholas and Alexandra

Found it! it is Nicholas and Alexandra! Watched the trailer of it on YouTube and yes some of the scenes do look very familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

uggybear wrote: »
    Found it! it is Nicholas and Alexandra! Watched the trailer of it on YouTube and yes some of the scenes do look very familiar.
    Just about to pop on and tell you what you where looking for, Months back the guys and gals helped me find it on here. I since bought it and watched it 20 time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

I remember seeing this movie a long time ago. I think it was made in the 1980s. It involves a guy orbiting a desert planet in a small spacecraft. He either landed or crashed on the planet. He met some others on the planet and they were at war with another group. The guy helped build a large vehicle with a big triangular v shaped part on the front.

Anyone remember this or have a few titles to throw at me?

BTW, it is not Enemy Mine (1985)

Thanks.

The truck looked something like this: http://asset-a.soup.io/asset/6639/3503_ae50.gif

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Skerries wrote: »

No. I'm almost certain it was made in the 1980s.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I'll guess Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone from 1983, which was the first movie I saw with polarized 3D glasses.

I'll guess Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone from 1983, which was the first movie I saw with polarized 3D glasses.

That's it! Cheers Zubeneschamali. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Hi,

Another one from my youth, think it was a film. But just remember glimpses of this set in a cave, and they driving around in these large types of buggies. I've an idea they were fighting against these "cave creatures", but can't be 100% on that. sorry for the vagueness of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

syboit wrote: »
    Hi,

Another one from my youth, think it was a film. But just remember glimpses of this set in a cave, and they driving around in these large types of buggies. I've an idea they were fighting against these "cave creatures", but can't be 100% on that. sorry for the vagueness of it all.

Could be Mind Warp starring Bruce Campbell

A film about a chip shop/take away. Maybe Irish and made in 1990s/early 2000s. It's not 'The Van'.

An Irish film with a young guy
    who leaves a job in the public service to go to college and study art
    . Possibly late 1990s or early 2000s.

Does anyone know these 2 movies? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

A film about a chip shop/take away. Maybe Irish and made in 1990s/early 2000s. It's not 'The Van'.

An Irish film with a young guy
    who leaves a job in the public service to go to college and study art
    . Possibly late 1990s or early 2000s.

Does anyone know these 2 movies?q Cheers.
    The second one is Cowboys and Angels. Set in Limerick.

Aglomerado wrote: »
    The second one is Cowboys and Angels. Set in Limerick.

Cheers Aglomerado.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377701/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A film about a chip shop/take away. Maybe Irish and made in 1990s/early 2000s. It's not 'The Van'..

I think it's Saltwater.

spurious wrote: »
    I think it's Saltwater.

I don't recall a seaside area (mentioned in below link) in it. The takeaway was in a city area.

http://www.nytimes.com/movies/movie/187071/Saltwater/overview

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Baze

Could be: The Halo Effect (2004).

Decent film.

Baze wrote: »
    Could be: The Halo Effect (2004).

Decent film.

Cheers Baze, that's the one! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr Boom Boom

Australian Movie Documentary from late 90s possibly early 2000s. Followed a working class family of Greek origin I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I saw A scene from a movie, I don't know how old I was but I woke from the sofa, all I remember was once scene!

The man was in A hospital bed and he was talking to shoulder, which seemed to have I am not sure if was one eye or two eyes and it also had mouth.

I assumed it was Evil Dead 3 as I got older but I seen that 100 times now, I know it's not that.

Advertisement