Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Low For Cork City FC (mod note #27)

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hearing it's all over. Cork City Football Club RIP. There's a possibility they can go the Supreme Court but it's very unlikely to happen and almost certain to fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

^ yup. gone into liquidation. so hopefully foras can now buy the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

jank wrote: »
    Some of the posts here are disgraceful. Gloating in pleasure as another LOI club goes under. Many people have lost their jobs tonight...... Cop yourself

Most haven't been paid in weeks anyway. The Club deserve it after all thats happened. And Tom Coughlan is the club because he owned/ran it.
    Even is he does pay the tax bill, all Couglan has is the name Cork City Football Club.

So now that CCIFC are gone who owns the name of the club? Can anyone just reposess it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Couldn't help but laugh hearing Coughlan getting "emotive" on 96FM earlier, almost in tears. He's brought it all upon the club and telling those trying to save the club, through his legal team, that it wasn't a loss to him and if he wasn't given the money he was after that he would let it go under...sickening. People who don't know half the story texting in, feeling sorry for him then :rolleyes:

Fair play to those involved with Foras and the investors who did go on air and cleared some things up, great representatives of city fans.

TNBs company has been wound up, i'll just say i don't wish him any luck cos i would probably get banned for posting what i really think about him :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

gimmick wrote: »
    Its hard to take seriuosly anything a Shels fan has to say on anything when they have a banner stating FTA, which stands for "Fúck Them All". Bitter twisted to the core.

You're the only one coming across as bitter.

Enjoy the next Cork franchise as long as it lasts....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Zebra3 wrote: »
    You're the only one coming across as bitter.

Enjoy the next Cork franchise as long as it lasts....

You never pass an oppurtunity to stir some **** do you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

That should be that:
    Cork City wound up at High Court
    Tuesday, 23 February 2010 15:18

Cork City Football Club have failed in their eleventh hour bid at the High Court to save the Leeside club from going out of business.

The club sought a stay on an order winding up the club, however, Ms Justice Mary Lafoy said she could see no reason to grant a stay of execution and said her decision to grant a winding up order stood.

Cork City are now considering their position with a trip to the Supreme Court the only viable option available to the club's owners.

City owner Tom Coughlan said he was deeply disappointed with the court's decision.

He told reporters outside the court that he was seeking legal advice and was not giving up just yet.

Coughlan said he would welcome the financial support of anybody who wanted to save Cork City.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0223/corkcity_court.html

A fat lady who sings to the white courtesy telephone please...

Coughlans like a baby throwing the rattle out of the pram right now. No doubt he'll drag this on as long as he can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

You never pass an oppurtunity to stir some **** do you.

I have had him on ignore for about the last 2 years, so please don't quote him.

Anyway, FTA :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

He can drag it on as long as he wants, but it won't be overturned now.

Good luck to FORAS and the Cork fans on the new club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

djpbarry wrote: »
    That should be that:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0223/corkcity_court.html

Coughlan said he would welcome the financial support of anybody who wanted to save Cork City.

Where has he been the last week or two :rolleyes:

What happened to his ban from the FAI? and I'm guessing he hasn't paid his fine either...

I just listened to a recording of Toms epic rant on the radio this morning and i nearly fell off the chair laughing. The good thing is it shows Coughlan for the pathetic individual that he is.

I just listened to a recording of Toms epic rant on the radio this morning and i nearly fell off the chair laughing. The good thing is it shows Coughlan for the pathetic individual that he is.

Can you link it please? Would love to hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

gimmick wrote: »
    One major positive of that is I will no longer have to read your incessant shíte. 6000+ post and not a single half decent one. But I suppose thats to be expected.

Least we've got something in common anyway gimmick. :P

Can you link it please? Would love to hear it.

The only links i have are on the CCFC forum and you need to be registered and given access to get into the thread to see the links.

If i come across any other links to the recordings i'll post them up here though.

8ce152b991ef459bd11c4726498590f1e7e62f98cd.jpg

smiling to the last.. pr!ck..

I'll up it in a few minutes. Just rapidsharing it now

http://rapidshare.com/files/354757031/10_02_24_96fm_tnb.MP3.html

That should be good for 10 downloads. Forgot to log in. Ill re up if this one expires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Cheers, listening now.

Hahaha, crazy, crazy man. "You don't even have a Cork registered car!!!!"

• Advertisement

Stung on the tax issue TNB.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

/chuckle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

I wonder if there will be an objection by other Foras's to the name being used by the new co-op? FAS etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Shame to see cork city wind up :(

Tc is deranged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Radio interview is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Classic stuff there.

Cork City FORAS Co-op are pleased to announce the appointment of Tommy Dunne as first team manager for the 2010 League of Ireland season. Having fulfilled the role of assistant manager in Cork in the 2009 season, Tommy brings the necessary experience and qualifications to the club as we embark on a new journey in Cork football.

His decision to take on this challenging role is a measure of his commitment and ambition and, as the Board of Management’s preferred candidate, we are sure that all involved in Cork football will fully support him. The club would like to thank all candidates who expressed an interest in the position and wish them every success in the future.

Speaking on his appointment, Tommy stated “It’s a job I would always have liked and I’m delighted to take it on. Last year was an enjoyable year for me even though there were problems with the club. I’ve enjoyed being in Cork, the people, and playing in Turner’s Cross and the atmosphere there. It’s an exciting job and I’m looking forward to getting started.”

great choice i think. a great coach, the players last year loved him, and a gentleman off the field.

and that's the end of that chapter

200px-Aabf09.jpg

/thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Roar wrote: »
    and that's the end of that chapter

200px-Aabf09.jpg

/thread

Wow other clubs just get a new thread every year :p

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

Gladto see the back of this thread, onwards and upwards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I laugh when he said "snide comments" even though there was none! After hearing TC on newstalk and on that radio station gives you a good indication of what it's like to deal with.
    Des wrote: »

Reminds me a bit of of this:

From todays Indo (robbed from the Shels forum).
    Does anyone really care about sorry tale of two Cities?

As weeks go, it's been fairly eventful. Cork City came to an end, and on Friday morning, a week before the opening fixtures, so too did the League of Ireland itself. And now that it is clear what this column is about, I suspect very few of you will bother to read on.

It seems it's all change. Referred to on their website as 'the former League of Ireland', the FAI announced at Friday's official launch that the top level of football played in this country is to be known as the Airtricity League for at least the next two years.

Following on from the financial irregularities which saw Derry City demoted, even for seasoned observers of domestic football in Ireland, these are turbulent times indeed.

In a bid to prevent a repeat of the events at Cork last week, the FAI is also re-branding itself as a no-nonsense force in domestic football, ready to severely punish any who step out of line. That is somewhat at odds with their decision to include Cork in the Premier Division fixture list 48 hours after their website confirmed they had not been granted a licence to compete.

Among their multitude of shortcomings, no audited accounts were submitted from last year, they held no tax clearance certificate for the year ahead, and wage payments to last season's squad, in the region of €170,000, were still outstanding. At no point did owner Tom Coughlan submit a budget for this year either.

Despite all this, there are still some deluded individuals who believe the club was victimised.

The case for including a club of their size and location is straightforward enough, but the embarrassment their actions caused throughout last season meant there was only one logical course of action available. The low point was surely the refusal of their bus company to bring them to Dublin to play St Pat's due to unpaid bills. Undermining every effort made by anyone who ever spent time promoting the league, the press coverage which followed set the league back years. If events anywhere led to similar headlines this season, you would have to fear for its very future.

Coughlan's legacy of incompetence and mismanagement should serve as a warning to supporters everywhere. While it's an incredibly difficult job running a club, it seems it is all too easy to completely destroy one.

Commentators have been asking how this was allowed to happen, but ignoring deadlines, flouting rules and amassing debts of €1.2m exposes the simple truth. Whether he underestimated what he had taken on, or was simply not up to the task, the club has paid the ultimate price as a result.

Though not the loftiest of ambitions, a season without unpaid wages or winding-up orders would represent progress. The actions of those running Derry City and Cork City over the past 12 months have damaged the credibility of the league and rubbished the notion that professionalism is sustainable here in any way. Whether it has done irreparable harm remains to be seen, but it has done nothing to discount claims that the decision-makers at many clubs are incapable of overseeing significant change.

The presence of only two clubs based more than an hour from Dublin city is unfortunate, but the inclusion of anyone on solely geographical grounds is a move for which fans in this country are not yet ready. The promotion of Sporting Fingal and UCD will do little to generate revenue for their opponents, as both have little travelling support. Though fully deserved and much needed, the absence of Cork and Derry has financially hurt everyone.

If Shamrock Rovers are away from home, the total number of paying spectators for an entire Premier Division fixture list would

not exceed the attendance of a big game in League Two in England. Particularly with Fingal and UCD in the division, there will be several games which will not entice even 1,000 people to watch. The negativity resulting from events at Cork doesn't help, but as long as attendances remain at current levels, there is little to suggest the FAI can implement change in any meaningful way.

With the level of compensation schoolboy clubs are entitled to under UEFA guidelines pricing many youngsters out of a move to the UK, the top division has now become the likeliest route to a career in England for hopeful youngsters keen to impress. Though the quality of players and coaches continues to improve, too few people around the country currently have any interest, and simply changing the name of the league won't address that.

That is the reality, and despite it being the most popular sport in the country, the general feeling of apathy among the majority of the Irish public towards anything relating to domestic football continues to be the issue more than any other which will prevent its further development.

I wonder whether last week's events have even registered with many members of the public, and that is maybe the most damning indictment of all.

rsadlier@independent.ie

From todays Indo (robbed from the Shels forum).
    Link here.

All well and good Mr. Sadlier, but what's your solution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Will Foras have a team to line out at the week end for the season opener?

• Advertisement

Will Foras have a team to line out at the week end for the season opener?

They had a friendly today

http://www.corkcityforasco-op.com/index.php/2010/02/friendly-away-to-crosshaven/

Which they won 7-0, they would certainly seem to have some semblance of a team.

Admir Softic, Greg O'Halloran, Cillian Lordan and George O'Callaghan all supposedly lined out for FORAS today.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

djpbarry wrote: »
    Admir Softic, Greg O'Halloran, Cillian Lordan and George O'Callaghan all supposedly lined out for FORAS today.

Thats great news - there has been some tremendous work to ensure that there is a Cork soccer team represented, and in fairness, there are companies that have come up trumps with regards gear and sponsorship. I really hope it works out, and get the real bads lows put in the past for Cork soocer. I for one am going to try and attend any home games that I can, and I hope the Cork community supports the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

This has been locked as there's a new thread for Cork's fresh start. Onwards and upwards..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement