Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Low For Cork City FC (mod note #27)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Depressing.

For the last 2 weeks the Evening Echo in Cork has been talking about how our results will effect our chances of European qualification.

Do they honestly think we will get a European license, never mind a premier division license.:o

It would be more depressing if ye did get a European license, in fact it would be a disgrace and make an even bigger joke of the league than it already is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Must do, sure how the f*ck did Drogs get a premier division license and sure ffs their stadium is still not to the FAI required standard even though the FAI agreed to fund the temp seating.:rolleyes:

Theres no reason we shouldn't have gotten a licence because of the ground. The FAI own it, so they have to make sure its of the required standard. Its ridiculous I agree, but it doesn't affect the licence application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

I can picture it now, City get Europe and can't afford to pay the bills. :(:(

Even worse for City is that Matthew's case is approaching. It'll be game over if Matthew's wins that case.

I've just heard that Tom Coughlan has now taken to banning FORAS Banners in Turners Cross for games. He turned down the FORAS Volunteers pitching in on matchday and now, it appears, he has banned their banners.

To me anyways, its getting ridiculous at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

:eek: only now?!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/cork-farce-leaves-bitter-taste-among-rival-clubs-1924089.html
    BARRING a calamitous collapse in their last two games, Cork City's players appear to have secured a place in next year's Europa League for the club, but not everybody in League of Ireland circles is happy with this development.

For Cork City to be in Europe next year, according to St Patrick's Athletic CEO Richard Sadlier, "would be absolutely farcical". And Sadlier is merely expressing a view which has general currency within the League.

As Bray Wanderers' official Eddie Cox put it: "Nobody wishes Cork City any harm, but there has been obvious mis-management, the FAI brought in rules and they don't appear to be abiding by them. The general consensus is that if it wasn't Cork, the FAI wouldn't be helping them to the extent they have been. I doubt very much that they would do the same for us."

In the past number of months, Cork City have been in the news for all the wrong reasons. A short list reveals:

Twice they have, at the last minute, avoided winding-up orders in the High Court
    They have been repeatedly late in paying the players' wages
    Twice they have averted a players' strike within hours of having to forfeit matches
    Settlements to former staff dismissed by the present owners have not been paid

Every week, there seems to be another bad news story emanating from the Leeside club, but the low point was reached, according to Cox and Sadlier, when a photograph appeared in national newspapers of players in a car boot thumbing for a lift before their trip to play St Patrick's Athletic on September 25 last. The bus company hired to transport them refused to travel until a bank draft for monies owed had been secured.

"That set us back years in terms of credibility, not only with football people but also with those on the periphery who we are trying to interest in the League," said Sadlier. "Those stories are so, so damaging."

Despite this, the FAI appear to have gone out of their way to keep Cork City afloat, mindful, perhaps, that a winding-up order would result in the matches they played this season being expunged from the records and thus causing chaos.

This doesn't go down well with other clubs who have cut their cloth according to their measure, and find themselves at a disadvantage.

"We feel very aggrieved," said Cox. "The FAI brought in club licensing, we have abided by the regulations and Cork haven't, yet it would appear that the FAI have helped to bail them out and we think that is unfair.

"We cut our budget by 60 per cent to meet their requirements, and we send in monthly accounts, but if Cork City did the same -- as they are supposed to do -- how did they end up owing the Revenue €400,000?"

What bothers Sadlier is that, at the end of last season, the clubs had a frank discussion with FAI officials and were told there would be harsh penalties for clubs failing to adhere to the regulations.

"The feeling was that a line was drawn," he says, "and that they would come down heavily on those guilty of doing X, Y and Z. Yet Cork are being treated the same way as Bray and Sligo who have done everything right. The tough decisions we (at St Pat's) made at the start of the season were to avoid the situation that Cork find themselves in, and that made us less competitive.

"It's a repeat of last season. Then Pete Mahon felt that UCD didn't overspend and got relegated. Drogheda and Cork ran into trouble and weren't relegated. So what's the advantage of acting in a correct manner? If you run up a huge list of creditors you can't pay, what are the consequences? We felt the FAI would come down hard on anyone getting into that situation, but there is no evidence that is the case.

"I'd be disappointed if a club the size of Cork dropped a division or went out of business, but there is a responsibility on those who run the League to see that the clubs who abide by the rules are protected. It shouldn't be of benefit to clubs to operate an over-spending regime."

There have been suggestions that if Cork are not relegated for their misdemeanours, one of the clubs who go down might take the FAI to court, but Cox says it won't be Bray: "We haven't the money for a court case, so we are waiting to see what the FAI are going to do."

The Cork City saga is unlikely to have a happy ending, and Sadlier says: "I don't envy the FAI, as it's a difficult issue to address. I assume there is a lot going on behind the scenes, but there has been no communication from them."

To ensure the bad news is kept to a minimum next season, the FAI may have no option but to make an example of Cork City. If that means dropping down a division, going part-time or even amateur, as former manager Dave Barry suggested, then so be it. At least the FAI will have made their point.

- SEN RYAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Our u17 manager was sacked yesterday morning. He was interviewed on local radio redfm:

Sacked because of criticism he made of the club in an interview during the week.

- The club have abandoned the youth and U-17s....

- Training cancelled twice in the past few weeks due to money not paid for training facilities at Eire Og. Young players won't come near Cork City because of what is going on....

- The club is in big trouble

- No interest in keeping the underage structure going

Is he trying to send out a message to other employees who try and speak about their opinion on how the club in run, in the media?

This is the same guy who brought through the likes of David Meyler, and Kevin Long, who has been immense with the first team, and who Coughlan has praised.

Underage set-up is important for the future of any club and Pat has brought some great talent into the club and it's sad to see him let go, especially in this manner, he was just telling it like it is.

I've just heard that Tom Coughlan has now taken to banning FORAS Banners in Turners Cross for games. He turned down the FORAS Volunteers pitching in on matchday and now, it appears, he has banned their banners.

I wonder what he'll do next, ban Foras members from matches?! Oh wait, he's kinda already alienated most city fans already :rolleyes:

I can't see how City will get a PD license next season unfortunetly and Europe will just be gone out the window. The club has been mismanaged so badly from the start of the season.

I'm sick of hearing the excuse "it's what is being carried over from the last owners", surely he knew what he was taking on when he took over the club and drew up appropriate plans. Of course when any organisation wants to look at our books, they are refused, or like everyone else (eg. players, staff, FAI, PFAI, MNS) can't get in touch with Mr. Coughlan. Would never wish what is happening with city, on any club and hope that our chairman will not be back next season and is never let set foot near another football club again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Why are the FAI not helping Derry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Des wrote: »
    Why are the FAI not helping Derry?

Exactly.

So far the FAI have saved Cork's bacon once and paid their wages just before a title-decider game (after letting them sleepwalk a previous game of similar importance against Bohs without intervantion)...why the hell does anybody think they (Cork) won't somehow get a license next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Except another court date for Cork if that story about the under17 coaches sacking is true.

Tommy had a meeting with players yesterday to tell them that he has agreed a deal to sign Andy Cole for next season....I wish I was joking, but it comes from a reliable source.

Honestly don't know what dream world he is living in.

• Advertisement

Tommy had a meeting with players yesterday to tell them that he has agreed a deal to sign Andy Cole for next season....I wish I was joking, but it comes from a reliable source.

Will Andy Cole have any interest in playing in the A league?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:D

Tommy had a meeting with players yesterday to tell them that he has agreed a deal to sign Andy Cole for next season...

Jesus. What will be paid with? An IOU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

stovelid wrote: »
    I fully support the protest.

Just make sure the team don't roll over on the pitch tonight though.

Not until Tuesday anyway.

:pac:
    stovelid wrote: »
    Exactly.

So far the FAI have saved Cork's bacon once and paid their wages just before a title-decider game (after letting them sleepwalk a previous game of similar importance against Bohs without intervantion)...why the hell does anybody think they (Cork) won't somehow get a license next year.

Love it when a plan comes together..

bohsman wrote: »
    Love it when a plan comes together..

Any truth in the rumours that your board lobbied the FAI to pay the wages?

That said, a DDSL team would have turned over Rovers that night so it's probably a moot point.

Not that I know of, dont think they'd listen to us either way in fairness.

Are you serious!! I'm sorry but this deserves a smiley:D followed by this for Andy Cole :rolleyes:.

Honestly, why bother with this when he can't even pay the players on time.

I cannot see the FAI giving any club led by TNB a licence to run a club next season. The ESB has been cut off in the Bishopstown training ground and creditors are queuing up to liquidate the holding company.

He couldn't pay the bus company 3 weeks ago to drive the players to Dublin to play a match... How is he going to pay flights for the team to play away in Europe next season?

TNB is getting away with murder in this city. It is left to the national papers to ask the searching questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Not only are there rumours of Andrew Cole joining City, but apparently we've bid for Cretaro and Mooney.

• Advertisement

Not only are there rumours of Andrew Cole joining City, but apparently we've bid for Cretaro and Mooney.

TNB should get a job writing fairytales :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

tonight's game with Sligo has been called off due a water logged pitch.

thank christ, didnt fancy going out into that.

that'll mean the players NOT getting paid though I'd imagine.

AGAIN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

With what money? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

With what money? :confused:

Haven't you heard?

monopoly_money_100.jpg

Declared legal tender in Cork this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I am quite amused by how this thread became the all purpose CCFC thread :)

Thank Christ that season is over. Horrible from start to finish.

The "Legends" Weekend has been "postponed".

A different fundraiser has been "postponed".

The club shop is closed until further notice.

The former club shop's court case against the club was adjourned during the week.

A former player is taking the club to court.

Rumours that the locks at Bishopstown have been changed.

• Advertisement

Nothing could have been done about that. The golf course is rained off, and TX is like a bog. No point in just going ahead with the dinner when the other 2 parts are cancelled. There is no conspiracy here.

A different fundraiser has been "postponed".

The club shop is closed until further notice.

The former club shop's court case against the club was adjourned during the week.

A former player is taking the club to court.

Rumours that the locks at Bishopstown have been changed.

Right,
    The Legends weekend called off due to bad weather forcast and the fact that TX is a bog

Fundraiser also called off due to said weather forcast

The club shop could be moving again, neither that or their out of stock:D:D

the club shop had a court case:confused::confused:

What player is taking them to court (again)? I only know Matthews is taking them

The locks have been changed?? I thought the ESB was gone. What harm, get a locksmith to make a key

Every cloud and all that:D:)

In the echo last night, City have accepted 150,000e for Kevin Long from Burnley. I was told this ain't true and that a lot of scout's were going to watch him in the u-21 game

Gareth Farrelly.

Its not Farrely, his case has been settled afaik. I think it is actually Billy Woods.

If Bishopstown is locked, so what? They are on hiolidays now anyway. Its probably not true anyway.

Along with that underage coach? Even as a Bohs fan Im impressed at the amount of court cases theyve managed to rack up.

• Advertisement

Neither you nor I know the half of it Id say.

The underage coach has no case. He went to the media, said stuff he should not have said (despite the fact most of what he said was 100% true), and was rightly shown the door.

Right,
    The Legends weekend called off due to bad weather forcast and the fact that TX is a bog
    Are you 100% sure?
    Fundraiser also called off due to said weather forcast
    I was talking about a different fundraiser being postponed, nothing to do with the "Legends".
    Yes, it appears so.
    The locks have been changed?? I thought the ESB was gone. What harm, get a locksmith to make a key
    Yeah, what harm, sure who cares about the underage teams.
    gimmick wrote: »
    Its not Farrely, his case has been settled afaik. I think it is actually Billy Woods.

If Bishopstown is locked, so what? They are on hiolidays now anyway. Its probably not true anyway.
    The youth teams are not on holidays.

Are you 100% sure?

Seems to be just because of the weather alright, because the Liverpool legends were already paid for the weekend.

About breaking the lease on the old club shop on Daunt sq. I have heard.
    What player is taking them to court (again)? I only know Matthews is taking them

Billy Woods is taking them to court. He left Oct '08 so it's from pre-Coughlan era, but he had agreed to pay it, it seems...but never did.
    In the echo last night, City have accepted 150,000e for Kevin Long from Burnley. I was told this ain't true and that a lot of scout's were going to watch him in the u-21 game

There were supposed to be a few scouts at the game against Sligo that had to be postponed, so i'd imagine the U21 match would be there next stop. Hope he gets a good move, class player.

Seems to be just because of the weather alright, because the Liverpool legends were already paid for the weekend.
    So they definitely booked the pitch?

The players were payed on Thursday, but were all the staff paid yesterday?

According to 96fm, they were.

According to 96fm, they were.

Did 96fm refer to players or staff, because I've rarely heard of staffs wages being mentioned in the media before.

Seems so.

Well players were definitely paid, it was even posted on the PFAI website about it. Sadly, I heard yesterday that the other staff hadn't been paid yet...whether anything has changed in the last 24 hours, I don't know. I hope they have been.

Guess who's being charged by the FAI for bringing the game into disrepute.

In relation to Danny Murphy's 7 match ban (apparently the ref feared for his life :rolleyes:);
    He is not a dirty player and the FAI have to know by banning a guy for seven games could cost the player his future at the club
    Hmm.....

In relation to Danny Murphy's 7 match ban (apparently the ref feared for his life :rolleyes:);

Hmm.....

A 7 game ban is ridiculouls and is a joke. Only in this league can a player be banned for 7 games when the season is finished.

Hopefully, that'll be overturned

According to last nights Echo:
    9 City players are now on the PFAI Transfer list: Faz, Siligalis, McNulty, Timmy Kiely, Lordan, O'Halloran, O'Donnell and Shane Duggan

8 City players are still in contract: Gamble, Connor, Murphy, Murray, O'Neill, Connor, Dennehy, Mulcathy and Cambridge

• Advertisement

Doolin has resigned! :D

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/2793/
    Doolin departs Leeside
    by Alan Smith
    Mon, Nov 30 2009
    Paul Doolin has apparently left Cork City FC, resigning from his position as manager of the club this afternoon.

Doolin had led Cork to third place in the Premier Division this season, battling against the odds with a depleted squad.

He came in for some heavy stick from the Rebel Army though, as many believed his style of football wasn’t up to the attacking standard expected on Leeside.

His relationship with Tom Coughlan became weaker and weaker throughout the campaign too, as the clubs now infamous owner became a hated figure locally.

Rumours are now afloat that Doolin will become the new boss of either Dundalk or St Pat’s.

The club have yet to officially comment, but a statement will be released in due course.

Wow, that's a surprise. Fair play to him for getting us into Europe after that shambles of a season. He'll prob go to Pats or Dundalk.

Looked at http://www.corkcityfc.ie/ for a club statement - No news on it or anything whatsoever although we have the colour blue to look at.

Maybe not :confused:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1130/doolinp.html
    Doolin dismisses reports of Cork exit

Monday, 30 November 2009 18:43
    Paul Doolin has dismissed reports that he is set to resign as manager of Cork City.

The Dubliner joined the cash-strapped Leesiders in January of this year on a two-year contract.

City finished third in this year's League of Ireland Premier Division in spite of having to sell a number of their best players because of the club's on-going financial problems.

Under the chairmanship of Tom Coughlan, the club has been beset by a series of financial setbacks since emerging from examinership last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

As I posted in the transfer rumours thread on here, Doolin or Rico are expected to sign for Pats by the end of this week, Mahon is supposely unlikely to stay on.

He is lying. He is gone. 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Doolins departure confirmed

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1130/doolinp.html

He did well to get out of that mess with any credit.

gimmick wrote: »
    He is lying. He is gone. 100%

But what are the terms of his departure.....

Mutual agreement. I would imagine he would not want to work on the budget offered to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

interesting!! wonder who will take the city job:confused:

• Advertisement

Tommy himself id say :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement