Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Low For Cork City FC (mod note #27)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I forgot.

Sweeping broadsides are what you do best.

Thanks for caring :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Zebra3 wrote: »

Why should they? It's up to clubs outside the Greater Dublin area to get their act together.

A few of the ones within the Greater Dublin area have'nt got their act together either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

A few of the ones within the Greater Dublin area have'nt got their act together either.

I fully agree with you, but it doesn't take away from what I said.

The whinging on here from some wanting special treatment for clubs outside the Dublin area is beyond belief.

Cork City have got away with murder since they went into examinership and some here still feel hard done by. Ffs.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Cork City have got away with murder since they went into examinership and some here still feel hard done by. Ffs.... :rolleyes:
    Ridiculous.

Back on topic: http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/dan-connor-ive-had-enough-1977158.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Pure Cork wrote: »

Can't blame Connor for his anger. Everything he says in this is true. With TNB in charge, the club's a joke. No manager, no website, no club-shop, 6 players for next season (at the mo), longstanding wages haven't been paid.

What I can't understand is that TNB is going around looking for a manager while the club mightn't even get a license. The only way for TNB to leave is to pay him off which nobody wants to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ridiculous.

How's that? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

This is a shocking indictment of Cork City FC.

Dan Connor: I've had enough
    Cork keeper to join exodus as wages go unpaid

By Aidan Fitzmaurice

Wednesday December 16 2009

CRISIS CLUB Cork City edged closer to the brink this week with the news that the club's few remaining players were not paid.

And now most of those six players are trying to find alternative employment, on the basis that their contracts with City are effectively null and void.

Experienced keeper Dan Connor says he cannot see himself playing for the club again as long as controversial owner Tom Coughlan remains at the helm -- Connor today launching a stinging attack on Coughlan and his stewardship of the club over the last 18 months.

Beleaguered Cork supporters have witnessed an alarming exodus of talent in recent seasons (see panel), with 14 players joining British clubs from City in the past four years. Most recent was the sale of teenage defender Kevin Long to Premier League side Burnley for a reported €150,000.

But more are bound to leave, as long-serving midfielder and Ireland international Joe Gamble, who only last month expressed his desire to stay with Cork and see out his career at Turner's Cross, is this week on trial with League One side Hartlepool United. The Monkey Hangers, as Hartlepool are sometimes known, are hoping to get clearance to play Gamble as a trialist in a reserve game against Sunderland today.

Gamble would command a fee of around €150,000 if sold on the transfer market, but due to breaches of his contract such as non-payment of wages, it's likely that Gamble will be seen as a free agent and allowed to join Hartlepool, or any other club, for no fee.

Debts

That leaves Dan Connor, Dan Murray, Danny Murphy, Billy Dennehy, Stephen O'Donnell and Paul Deasy as the only players left under contract at a club which has no manager, no squad, no training facility and massive debts, with owner Coughlan due in Dublin tomorrow to answer disrepute charges from the FAI.

But Connor, who only joined Cork from Drogheda United 12 months ago on a two-year deal, has already made up his mind and insists he will not be at the club if Coughlan is allowed remain in charge -- though the prospect of Cork being denied a licence and kicked out of football is a very live one.

"I honestly could not work with that man again. There is a complete absence of trust now between the players and the club," Connor said today.

"I would quit senior football and play in the Leinster Senior League before I would go through another season like this and work under the conditions that we had in Cork for the last year.

"Paul Doolin said when he left the manager's job a few weeks ago that it just was not worth the hassle and he was right. Sometimes you have to say enough is enough. If the owner doesn't have the money to run the club, why did he take over in the first place, or why didn't he let go a few months ago if he had the chance?

"This club has been a disaster and a shambles. For the last few months it's been embarrassing.

"We had the problem with getting the bus to Dublin, problems with wages, issues at the training ground, no showers after training as the power was cut when the bill wasn't paid. We've had enough," added Connor, who won a league title with Drogheda United and also played for Waterford United, after a spell in England with Peterborough United.

Connor has not been paid by City in more than four weeks -- and even then he was only paid a portion of the wages he was due for the month.

The remaining contracted City players were due to be paid yesterday but they were informed the previous day that there would be no wages, which deeply angered the City squad. Cork asked the players to delay their wage commitments until next month, when Cork are due a payment from Burnley relating to the sale of player Kevin Long, but Connor says he has no faith left in the club.

"We've had broken promises, we have been lied to and it's very, very hard to take. We are coming up to Christmas, I have a family to support, but I haven't been paid at all in a month and it's a while since I was paid my full monthly wages.

"Just now we were told that a donor's cheque had bounced, so there was no money there for us.

"Footballers are aware of what's going on. But we can't accept being lied to. The club can't just promise that you will be paid, and then send you a text at 8pm the night before your wages are due saying, 'We don't have the money so we can't pay you'. People's livelihoods are at stake here," he added angrily.

Battling

Derry City and Cork City spent the latter part of last season battling it out for third place in the league and the Europa League place that follows, but now it's certain that Derry, who finished fourth, will not even be in the Premier Division next season, if they are allowed back in to senior football at all, while at this point in time, it's hard to see Cork City FC being awarded a licence for the 2010 season.

Former player Gareth Farrelly has contacted the FAI's club licensing department to alert them to the fact that Cork reneged on a promise to pay him a sum of €36,000 that he was owed, while former manager Alan Mathews is pursuing Cork through the courts with an unfair dismissal case which could cost the club €300,000.

That leaves the players from Cork and Derry in limbo, unable to find a club in Ireland due to cut-backs, so a move abroad appears to be the only real option for most. Some Scottish and lower-league English clubs have offered trials, but so far the only players to secure moves are Bohemians keeper Brian Murphy (to Ipswich) and Cork defender Kevin Long (to Burnley).

Connor, 28, had a trial with Exeter City in the summer but that failed to result in a contract. The Dubliner may have to look outside of Ireland for work.

"I don't know what my next move is," he said. "Going abroad might be an option, but going on trial is hard for a keeper. You play in a trial game and get nothing to do, so you can't impress."

- Aidan Fitzmaurice

This is a shocking indictment of Cork City FC.

Dan Connor: I've had enough
    Cork keeper to join exodus as wages go unpaid

By Aidan Fitzmaurice

Wednesday December 16 2009

CRISIS CLUB Cork City edged closer to the brink this week with the news that the club's few remaining players were not paid.

And now most of those six players are trying to find alternative employment, on the basis that their contracts with City are effectively null and void.

Experienced keeper Dan Connor says he cannot see himself playing for the club again as long as controversial owner Tom Coughlan remains at the helm -- Connor today launching a stinging attack on Coughlan and his stewardship of the club over the last 18 months.

Beleaguered Cork supporters have witnessed an alarming exodus of talent in recent seasons (see panel), with 14 players joining British clubs from City in the past four years. Most recent was the sale of teenage defender Kevin Long to Premier League side Burnley for a reported €150,000.

But more are bound to leave, as long-serving midfielder and Ireland international Joe Gamble, who only last month expressed his desire to stay with Cork and see out his career at Turner's Cross, is this week on trial with League One side Hartlepool United. The Monkey Hangers, as Hartlepool are sometimes known, are hoping to get clearance to play Gamble as a trialist in a reserve game against Sunderland today.

Gamble would command a fee of around €150,000 if sold on the transfer market, but due to breaches of his contract such as non-payment of wages, it's likely that Gamble will be seen as a free agent and allowed to join Hartlepool, or any other club, for no fee.

Debts

That leaves Dan Connor, Dan Murray, Danny Murphy, Billy Dennehy, Stephen O'Donnell and Paul Deasy as the only players left under contract at a club which has no manager, no squad, no training facility and massive debts, with owner Coughlan due in Dublin tomorrow to answer disrepute charges from the FAI.

But Connor, who only joined Cork from Drogheda United 12 months ago on a two-year deal, has already made up his mind and insists he will not be at the club if Coughlan is allowed remain in charge -- though the prospect of Cork being denied a licence and kicked out of football is a very live one.

"I honestly could not work with that man again. There is a complete absence of trust now between the players and the club," Connor said today.

"I would quit senior football and play in the Leinster Senior League before I would go through another season like this and work under the conditions that we had in Cork for the last year.

"Paul Doolin said when he left the manager's job a few weeks ago that it just was not worth the hassle and he was right. Sometimes you have to say enough is enough. If the owner doesn't have the money to run the club, why did he take over in the first place, or why didn't he let go a few months ago if he had the chance?

"This club has been a disaster and a shambles. For the last few months it's been embarrassing.

"We had the problem with getting the bus to Dublin, problems with wages, issues at the training ground, no showers after training as the power was cut when the bill wasn't paid. We've had enough," added Connor, who won a league title with Drogheda United and also played for Waterford United, after a spell in England with Peterborough United.

Connor has not been paid by City in more than four weeks -- and even then he was only paid a portion of the wages he was due for the month.

The remaining contracted City players were due to be paid yesterday but they were informed the previous day that there would be no wages, which deeply angered the City squad. Cork asked the players to delay their wage commitments until next month, when Cork are due a payment from Burnley relating to the sale of player Kevin Long, but Connor says he has no faith left in the club.

"We've had broken promises, we have been lied to and it's very, very hard to take. We are coming up to Christmas, I have a family to support, but I haven't been paid at all in a month and it's a while since I was paid my full monthly wages.

"Just now we were told that a donor's cheque had bounced, so there was no money there for us.

"Footballers are aware of what's going on. But we can't accept being lied to. The club can't just promise that you will be paid, and then send you a text at 8pm the night before your wages are due saying, 'We don't have the money so we can't pay you'. People's livelihoods are at stake here," he added angrily.

Battling

Derry City and Cork City spent the latter part of last season battling it out for third place in the league and the Europa League place that follows, but now it's certain that Derry, who finished fourth, will not even be in the Premier Division next season, if they are allowed back in to senior football at all, while at this point in time, it's hard to see Cork City FC being awarded a licence for the 2010 season.

Former player Gareth Farrelly has contacted the FAI's club licensing department to alert them to the fact that Cork reneged on a promise to pay him a sum of €36,000 that he was owed, while former manager Alan Mathews is pursuing Cork through the courts with an unfair dismissal case which could cost the club €300,000.

That leaves the players from Cork and Derry in limbo, unable to find a club in Ireland due to cut-backs, so a move abroad appears to be the only real option for most. Some Scottish and lower-league English clubs have offered trials, but so far the only players to secure moves are Bohemians keeper Brian Murphy (to Ipswich) and Cork defender Kevin Long (to Burnley).

Connor, 28, had a trial with Exeter City in the summer but that failed to result in a contract. The Dubliner may have to look outside of Ireland for work.

"I don't know what my next move is," he said. "Going abroad might be an option, but going on trial is hard for a keeper. You play in a trial game and get nothing to do, so you can't impress."

- Aidan Fitzmaurice

That's the link from Pure Cork. Seriously, the situation is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

It's starting to look more and more likely that Roddy is about to enter scene right...

www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1216/collinsr_corkcity.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's starting to look more and more likely that Roddy is about to enter scene right...

Going be very interesting this.

My mate is avid City fan and hates that man with passion.

Interesting times

Nothing new in that article, it just mentions the meeting between Thomas and Roderick.

I heard Roddy does'nt have the coaching badges to take over City, not sure if its true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I heard Roddy does'nt have the coaching badges to take over City, not sure if its true.

Clutching at straws? :D

I've never been Connors biggest fan but i have to applaud him for speaking out about this. It's important people know about the ****e thats been going on for the last few months.

SantryRed wrote: »

Yes.:(

• Advertisement

TNB can pay Roddy to be our manager yet the club is on it's knees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

TNB can pay Roddy to be our manager yet the club is on it's knees

Assume roddy is bringing in money, hes not short a few quid.

SantryRed wrote: »

If Tommy gets a licence and appoints Roddy as manager (or Roddy comes on board in any capacity) I won't care because I won't be supporting TCFC. The managers job is just a sideshow. The licence is the main event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

If Tommy gets a licence and appoints Roddy as manager (or Roddy comes on board in any capacity) I won't care because I won't be supporting TCFC. The managers job is just a sideshow. The licence is the main event.

If roddy comes on board and brings in cash and you get decent players in you will be the 1st to get a season ticket.

Football fans are fickle, its our goddamn birthright.

Do Cork City exist? by Claude Abela - Malta l-Orrizont

Speaking to this reporter this morning Floriana FC's spokesman stated that the club is surprised by the speculation regarding the coach Roddy Collins. "The Coach is still under contract until the end of this season and was to sign a contract extension this week. However we are now trying to get to the truth of this matter as it appears that Roddy and some man called Tom Coughlan were already speaking last week, before the coach returned for the Msida game." The clear breach of protocol on both sides has surprised the club, especially as since Saturday there has been no response from Cork City, no calls answered and no replies to faxes or emails. Indeed the FAI (Football Association of Ireland) have remained silent when contacted repeatedly by the club, Floriana, to explain why one of their clubs would behave in such an irresponsible and illegal manner.

"We've begun to wonder if Cork City even exist," the spokesman said "they've no website, they don't seem to answer phones and the FAI don't even know what division they play in. Yet apparently they're going to play Europa League? It's beyond a joke."

When asked if the club are considering legal action the spokesman answered: "If Cork City are professional and honourable they will respond to us and explain why they were in negotiations with our coach without our permission or knowledge, if they are not then it will be a very serious matter."

The current joke doing the rounds goes: "How do you keep a coach at Floriana? Beat Valletta and lose the rest."

• Advertisement

Just looked at the blue screen/website and noticed this:

To all Cork City FC supporters, and other website vistors:
    The website has been pulled because I have not received payment from Cork City FC Investments Ltd in over five months. I pay for the website expenses myself, which I am no longer willing to do. Until I receive the money owed to me, the website shall remain offline. I apologise to Cork City supporters, but after repeated requests for payment which have fallen on deaf ears, I feel I am left with no other option.

Declan Carey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Sure Coughlan has only hs ECDL and he runs a football club.:D

dreamers75 wrote: »
    If roddy comes on board and brings in cash and you get decent players in you will be the 1st to get a season ticket.

Football fans are fickle, its our goddamn birthright.

No. I won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

gimmick wrote: »
    FORAGE are paying lip service. far too many egos involved for them to make any sort of impact. They have 350ish members, many of whom have no plans on re joining due to the incompetence of them at board level.

I'm a member of FORAS, and as far as I know most are rejoining. What's your problem with FORAS?
    Lot of bitterness in your post, with that very clever and witty play on the name, can you give me some examples of this "incompetence"??

delete

deleted at request of another poster

delete

delete

• Advertisement

delete

delete

delete

delete

delete

delete

I agree, and perhaps I am being too harsh, but like anything CCFC these days it creates a strong opinion one way or other.

Press Release from Floriana - Issued by the Joint Executive and General Committee of Floriana Football Club - 17.12.09
    Due to recent speculation in the Irish media regarding the future of our Coach, Mr. Roddy Collins, the club wish to state the following:

1. According to Mr. Tom Coughlan, owner of Cork City FC and Mr. Liam Meaney, General Manager of Cork City FC, they began speaking with our Coach before any intention was indicated that Mr. Collins was looking to leave the club. In fact when this came to light last Friday night, following a report in the Cork Evening Echo, Mr. Collins strenuously denied and completely contradicted the report as a pure rumour and furhter refuted having met with anybody in Cork City in relation to becoming their new manager. This was confirmed by Mr. Collins to members of our Executive and Committee.

2. Floriana Football Club have always, as acknowledged by Mr. Collins, fulfilled their contractual obligations with our Coach and indeed had informed him that not alone was he secure until the end of the season 2009-10, but also that we wished to activate his 2 year extension clause with immediate effect, both as per Mr. Collins request, prior to the article in the Evening Echo.

3. At no time have Cork City FC requested permission from Floriana FC to speak to our Coach and have refused to respond to any phonecalls, faxes or emails requesting information regarding these now confirmed meetings since Saturday morning until today.

4. Mr. Collins returned to Ireland on Sunday 13.12.09 to organise bringing his family back over to Malta again and preparations were indeed made by Mr. Collins just a week previously to have them housed (at the club’s expense) in the SAS Radisson, St. Julians, throughout the Christmas period while looking for a new family home in Malta, having dropped the lease on their previous home in October.

5. Mr. Collins was due to report for duty today in advance of tomorrow's game with Qormi FC and remains under contract to Floriana FC until further notice.

We appreciate the recovery Mr. Collins has made in his career with Floriana FC, from a shaky start he has moulded a strong team and is unbeaten in 7 games. We are surprised that Cork City FC would approach a Coach already under contract and are disappointed that they would behave in such an underhanded, illegal and immoral manner. We will continue to contact them so that they can explain their position and actions. However since they seem to have a very uncertain and bleak future, despite the committment of their loyal and long suffering fans, this current absence of communication bodes ill for their and Mr. Collins future prospects should the media reports prove to be true.

• Advertisement

It would be farcical, only that that point has been passed a long long time ago. Not sure what to call that crap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

From backpage of Cork's Evening Echo

attachment.php?attachmentid=1485&d=1261060037

John McCale is like a Comical Ali or a Joseph Goebbels.

I can't decide.:o

McHale is a muppet. he talks about all of this, yet completely ignores the fact that two 1st team players have lambasted Tommy in the last 2 days about non payment of wages. I know they are buddies and all, but sure, as a sports editor, he should be reporting even handedly, not in this paranoia filled crap way.

From backpage of Cork's Evening Echo

attachment.php?attachmentid=1485&d=1261060037

John McCale is like a Comical Ali or a Joseph Goebbels.

I can't decide.:o
    Load of crap
    http://breakingnews.ie/sport/coughlan-baffled-by-fai-charge-438676.html
    Coughlan baffled by FAI charge
    Print PrintEmail+ Email+Email+ Share+
    17/12/2009 - 15:33:47
    Cork City boss Tom Coughlan defended himself and his commitment to soccer in Cork City as he appeared before a disciplinary committee in Abbotstown at lunchtime today.

Coughlan challenged the charges of bringing the game into disrepute when he went before an independent committee made up of FAI members.

“I fully intend to defend myself and the club at today’s hearing,” Coughlan said this morning on his way to Dublin.

“Yes, it has been a hard year for me and the club, but some of what is being thrown at me is unfair.

“When I took over 12 months ago I inherited a club with a huge wage bill, one it could not afford.

“Then once we took over we found a situation worse than what we believed it was before we took over. It takes time to make changes to any business and it will take us another while yet to get everything correct, but we will.

“I took over Cork City to save the club from extinction and remember when I did that there were not too many others willing to part with their money to save the club.”

Coughlan, who today became the first owner in over 20 years to be charged, is baffled why he is the only person to face such a charge when other clubs have caused as much embarrassment to the league, than the one he got the most criticism for — not paying a bus company on time before one trip to Dublin.

“With Derry City leaving their players short approximately €200,000 this year, Dundalk introducing wage cuts mid-season and Drogheda United leaving their players short roughly €200,000 last year it’s very strange that the owner of Cork City should be the only person brought to task.

“As far as I know I am the only person in League of Ireland history to pay back the money in full owed to the players by a previous regime, while still trying to ensure no player is owed anything at the end of what’s been a very difficult year financially for the club, the country as a whole, with job losses and pay-cuts becoming the norm.”

It has been widely reported the Coughlan is believed to have invested more than €800,000 of his own money this year, but the owner refused to confirm how much it has cost him.

“It has cost me a fortune, both financially and privately.

“All I am getting for my troubles is abuse from all quarters, but I am determined to get this right.

“There are new structures in place, there is a new general manger in place, there is a new budget in place.

“I will be announcing a new manager in the next 48 hours — the future is bright.

“We are in Europe next year, so we must be doing something right. I know I have made mistakes, but I have honoured all my commitments to the players’ in terms of monies owed.

“We are late with the players’ money this week, but the club has no way of bringing in income for the past few weeks, but the players will be paid and very soon and everything will be in place before we send off our licence application for next year.”

Meanwhile, Joe Gamble has opened talks with Hartlepool today and Yeovil Town have also expressed an interest in him.

Article courtesy of The Evening Echo newspaper.

Read more: http://breakingnews.ie/sport/coughlan-baffled-by-fai-charge-438676.html#ixzz0Zxkl170I

Tommy wrote:
    I have honoured all my commitments to the players’ in terms of monies owed.
    All the players are free to leave because their contracts weren't honoured. Meaney texted the players asking them to wait until after Christmas for wages. Dan Connor is quoted in the Daily Mail as being owed around 4 weeks wages. Farrelly, Healy, Sullivan, and Murphy have gone through the PFAI to try and get their money. This is just players we're talking about.

Constant blatant lies in the Echo has resulted in Tommy, CCFC, McHale, and the Echo losing all credibility. It's actually working against them now because nothing is taken seriously.

Just saw the echo in a shop.
    Has Machale no shame at all? He obviously thinks that there are enough idiots in Cork to believe his crap.

it's laughable that a self promoting press release can be passed off as "journalism"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

TC banned for 12 months?

Banned from what? Link?

Dare we get our hopes up about something?

Ah, i see now, but am not sure what banning Tommy from football actually achieves? Surely all he needs to is sign the company across is some puppet role?

gimmick wrote: »
    Ah, i see now, but am not sure what banning Tommy from football actually achieves? Surely all he needs to is sign the company across is some puppet role?

Paul will probably be promoted from teamaker. The punishment won't get rid of him, the licence is the key. It's clear to everyone that nobody wants him involved. Presumably he'll appeal the 12 month ban and €5k fine. It's interesting how he found the money to pay for the website today/yesterday so he could release statements, yet players and staff are still owed money. Will he find that money by Monday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

So €5,000 fine, €6,000 owed to Farrelly, and then players wages all owed by Monday. Where in the name of God will he get that money?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement