Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Low For Cork City FC (mod note #27)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Irish Times
    Cork delay managerial appointment

CORK CITY will not now appoint a manager until at least next week, but the club insisted yesterday that it would reach agreement on the payment of wages owed to players in time for the money to be handed over before Christmas, reports Emmet Malone.

Around €150,000 is owed to players, some of whom have left the club, and it had been hoped that the money would be paid by Monday when the club’s initial application for a licence for next season had to be lodged. The FAI’s licensing committee is to meet today and could take a tough line on City’s application because the money is still outstanding.

The PFAI is hoping that its members will receive the cash today but says that in the event they do not then some money from the Foras-backed hardship fund will be made available.

Roddy Collins, meanwhile, met with club owner Tom Coughlan yesterday, but it seems that no final agreement was reached on the Dubliner’s appointment and it may now be the new year before the matter is resolved.

Yeah, right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Des wrote: »
    Yeah, right.

The club didn't say which Christmas.

Roddy is in the Echo saying TCFC will be challenging for all trophies within two seasons.

Apparently current City players have been paid the November installment, but are still owed the December installment. No mention of staff or former players, or taxes on the wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Roddy is in the Echo saying TCFC will be challenging for all trophies within two seasons.

Apparently current City players have been paid the November installment, but are still owed the December installment. No mention of staff or former players, or taxes on the wages.

Why does Roddy talk such ****?? He really must want to be the City manager. Am I correct in saying they only have less than 10 players for next season

Will any one on here be following them next season if TNB is still in charge?? I'm not.

I really feel sorry for the staff at the club. We still don't know if they've been paid yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

[Cork City Football Club are pleased to announce the appointment of Roddy Collins as the club’s first team manager for the forthcoming season.

Speaking to CorkCityFC.ie, Roddy Collins said: “It is an honour to have been appointed and I am delighted with the appointment. This is a job that I have wanted for many years, and I cannot wait to get started.”
    “I am looking forward to sitting down with the playing staff currently on the books at the club and also to introducing some new blood. I am very enthusiastic about the task at hand and I want to rally the troops for the season ahead.”

“The fact that the club has qualified for Europe is also a huge bonus, as playing in European competition is where everyone wants to be. It is a testament to the previous manager, the players and the Chairman that the club secured a place in Europe.”
    "Turner's Cross has always been an excellent venue for matches, with a great atmosphere and great support. In my experience, any point you earned at Turner's Cross was hard won and we have to make sure that this is the case next season."

Speaking of the appointment, Cork City’s General Manager Liam Meaney said: “Having interviewed a number of high quality candidates who expressed their interest in the position, we feel that Mr Collins is best suited for the club’s needs in the forthcoming 12 months. We are delighted that he is a free agent; he has extensive experience and a proven record of success when operating on a restricted budget and his appointment represents a significant financial saving for the club with regard to this position, without compromising on quality.”

i laughed.

• Advertisement

Fúcking

LOL

Joke manager for a joke club

Oh for God sake. :mad::mad:

They can bring in Roddy yet they can't pay players/staff for December.

I love the fact that Roddy praises the club yet he ripped apart the fans in his section in the Sunday Star.He can praise the Cross for it's atmosphere but come season time, there'll be no atmosphere what-so-ever there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

:D

As lows go, this is by far the lowest. Glad I stated my boycott before this cúnt got the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Listen to the Uks xmas no1 , it will make you feel better.

Nope, this is actually more apt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Only got the job because he's a free agent (stating the bleedin' obvious, I know). I'd be amazed if there really was more than one candidate for the job. If the club is still in existance I'd further be amazed if he's still in the job by Christmas of next year. Coughlan and himself couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery between the pair of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

marwelie wrote: »
    Only got the job because he's a free agent...
    Was he not still under contract at Floriana? Not that contracts mean all that much to CCFC, but anyway...

djpbarry wrote: »
    Was he not still under contract at Floriana? Not that contracts mean all that much to CCFC, but anyway...

http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=99144
    Floriana may seek compensation after departure of Roddy Collins
    by HENRY BRINCAT

Floriana FC are seriously considering a request for compensation after the sudden departure of Irish coach Roddy Collins.

The Irishman was contracted to Floriana FC after he moved from Dublin last summer. Since he took over, the Greens had quite a good start to the season, but soon after he left early last week, they collapsed to a humiliating 6-2 defeat last Friday at the hands of leaders Qormi.

Reports from Ireland indicate that Collins is on the verge of becoming coach of Irish club Cork City, but the latter need to get the release from Floriana before they can make their move.

And the Greens are not expected to effect the release of their coach unless some form of compensation is paid to them.

Before last Friday’s match, the Greens made it clear in a statement on their official website that Collins was still contracted to them despite his departure.

Collins told RTE Radio in Dublin last Thursday that he had been hoping to get the release letter from Floriana on that day to take over at Cork.

The reports from Dublin, however, indicate that Cork club owner Tom Coughlan is currently serving a one-year ban and this is hampering the move. He had been hit with the suspension and a fine of euros 5,000 by the Disciplinary Committee of the Association - for bringing the game into disrepute. He is now challenging the decision in the High Court.

Collins is reported to have left Malta as his family failed to settle down. Some reports also said that he was angry with Floriana as he had not been paid his October wages. Yet, the Greens have denied this.

In the meantime, it is known that Cork City are also facing trouble with the Football Association of Ireland (FAI). According to reports in Ireland, their players have not yet been paid what they were promised and will possibly be thrown out of the FAI league if the debts are not paid immediately.

Yesterday, it was known that Floriana’s former player Zoran Popovic was expected to be named club coach.

Popovic, who is already in Malta, had formed part of the Floriana squad in season 1993/94 as one of their foreigners, together with Mark Miller, now coach of Hibernians.

djpbarry wrote: »

Yeah, he was. I think he just left when TNB told him about the job. Floriana said it was like City doesn't exist (no website or contacts).

On a different note, has TNB paid the MFA for City to play at the Cross???

Who's taking the butter vouchers to Malta.

What the fúck kind of land does this Caughlan live in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Good jesus how awful to get a shoddy xmas present - yuck
    sad for ye :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

kerash wrote: »
    Good jesus how awful to get a shoddy xmas present - yuck
    sad for ye :(

Boo! Hissssssss!:D

btw TNB stands for Tommy No Bobs for those outside the circus tent peeking in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

While most LoI fans having sympathy for City, the appointment of The Plasterer will change that for a high percentage.

Quint wrote: »
    While most LoI fans having sympathy for City, the appointment of The Plasterer will change that for a high percentage.

When you say City, do you mean the fans & players & staff or Coughlan? Neither needs any sympathy. Do you mean the appointment of Roddy will make LoI fans in general more determined to get rid of Coughlan (rather than having less sympathy for whoever)?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1223/corkcity.html
    Cork could face another financial row
    Wednesday, 23 December 2009 21:59

Cork City could become embroiled in another financial battle just hours after naming Roddy Collins as their new manager.

Collins' old club Floriana of Malta say they have not released the Dubliner from his contract and expect to be compensated by Cork.

Collins left the Maltese side earlier this month due to personal reasons but in a written statement Floriana say the ex Shamrock Rovers boss is not a free agent and are surprised by Cork's claims to the contrary.

The Floriana statement read: 'It was with great surprise that Floriana FC learned this afternoon that our coach Mr Roddy Collins signed a 12-month contract with Cork City FC, Ireland, and that the Cork City FC General Manager publicly claimed in error that Mr Collins 'is a free agent'.

'At no time have Floriana FC given Mr Collins permission to speak with any other club and furthermore have not released him from his contract. Floriana FC have fulfilled in excess all contractual obligations to Mr Collins since his arrival in Malta.

'Until last evening, Mr Collins was asking for us to release him from his contract, however, he fully understood that to do so meant some form of compensation had to be made from Cork City FC.

'We will be contacting Cork City FC owner Mr Tom Coughlan to come to an arrangement where we will receive compensation to not bring this matter further than an amicable settlement.

'We do not wish to bring the Maltese Football Association (MFA) or Football Association of Ireland (FAI) into this matter as we believe that a professional club of Cork City's stature will wish to do the right thing for their reputation and image, the good of the game and for the betterment of both clubs.'

Collins was earlier today unveiled as the new boss of the troubled leesiders on a twelve-month contract.

• Advertisement

Pure Cork wrote: »

It's like a circus now. Bring Roddy in and lose money straight away. Nice thinking TNB.

BTW, thanks Pure Cork for keeping us updated with any announcements/press releases. Nice 1!!! :):D

a professional club of Cork City's stature will wish to do the right thing for their reputation and image

The club called Cork City does not have a reputation or image to maintain.

Very interested to hear the FAI reaction to this.

The club called Cork City does not have a reputation or image to maintain.

I'd be more interested in hearing what the licensing committee are going to do considering that TCFC didn't meet the deadline.

The club still has one more day if they are going to fulfill their promise of paying all players and staff who are owed money before Christmas (That still isn't enough to satisfy the licensing criteria that should have been sorted by the deadline on Monday, as the Revenue has to be paid too). I had to laugh at the line "Meanwhile, the Cork City players were paid their wages today" in the Echo, considering last week in advance of the deadline Coughlan was quoted as saying he'd honoured all commitments to the players' in terms of monies owed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

It's like a circus now. Bring Roddy in and lose money straight away. Nice thinking TNB.

BTW, thanks Pure Cork for keeping us updated with any announcements/press releases. Nice 1!!! :):D

As a Drogs fan I've been keeping my head down on this one - since I don't think we deserved to get our Premier licence last time around.

But this is getting past a joke. Coughlan is just sticking two fingers up at everyone, mostly at the longsuffering fans of Cork City who deserve much better.

Well I can tell you for a fact that that is not true. That former member may not have been paid but the peeople who actually matter were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Quint wrote: »

I don't think that's the case at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A competitive bridging loan payable whenever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I don't think that's the case at all.

Frankly i could'nt give a **** if we've sympathy from others are not.

While support from fans of other clubs is always nice, right now we're more concerned with the guy who is slowly destroying our club and how to prevent him from killing it all together, rather than what fans of other clubs think us.

5boe1.jpg

Anyone else feel sick just seeing this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Stick to the topic at hand, I'm feeling all festive but that won't stop me banning people if they continue along the line of hoofball v real fans v barstoolers rubbish that permeates every bloody conversation on the League of Ireland on these boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Iago wrote: »
    Stick to the topic at hand, I'm feeling all festive but that won't stop me banning people if they continue along the line of hoofball v real fans v barstoolers rubbish that permeates every bloody conversation on the League of Ireland on these boards.

What are you on about? :confused:

LoI fans are discussing the state of CCFC and its problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There was a deleted message from someone blathering on about how crap the League is and we're idiots for following it.

Surely there is a rule on boards.ie that you are not allowed post obscene pictures like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I swear to god, Cork City are becoming a carbon copy of Shamrock Rovers - pre-the fan takeover. It's eerie the similarities between what happened to us and what's happening in Langerland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What are you on about? :confused:

LoI fans are discussing the state of CCFC and its problems.

There were a number of (now)deleted posts that had gone off-topic and down the usual road. If you have an issue or question on moderation please PM the moderator in question rather than cluttering the thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

5boe1.jpg

Sickening sight indeed. There should be small print on the bottom of the flag "*or until I kill it...assuming they get a PD license next season and I actually stay" :rolleyes:

Isn't he lacking a UEFA Pro License as well?...in the off chance we would be competing in Europe (dream on I guess).

Sickening sight indeed. There should be small print on the bottom of the flag "*or until I kill it...assuming they get a PD license next season and I actually stay" :rolleyes:

Isn't he lacking a UEFA Pro License as well?...in the off chance we would be competing in Europe (dream on I guess).

Apparently he'll be doing the course for the pro licence over the coming months.

I swear to god, Cork City are becoming a carbon copy of Shamrock Rovers - pre-the fan takeover. It's eerie the similarities between what happened to us and what's happening in Langerland.

Unfortunately, the FAI seem intent on propping up the current incarnation so Foras won't find it as easy to topple them with stuff like whistle-blowing.

stovelid wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the FAI seem intent on propping up the current incarnation so Foras won't find it as easy to topple them with stuff like whistle-blowing.

I disagree, i think their as sick of him as we are. They've openly criticised him on numerous occasions as well as taking discplinery action against him. The real question is whether they've gone far enough or not.

I disagree, i think their as sick of him as we are. They've openly criticised him on numerous occasions as well as taking discplinery action against him. The real question is whether they've gone far enough or not.

They should have let the whole thing topple last season. They had the chance.

The 2010 license will be another chance, in fairness.

• Advertisement

Looks like CCFC will have the most potent attack in the LOI in the 2010. Andrew Cole to team up with Glen Crowe. That will get the punters through the gates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

One looks like a crow and the other has the movement of a bag of coal.

Found this on foot.ie:
    Yesterday morning, Monday 28th December, Floriana began official proceedings to ensure their case for compensation is heard in the highest quarters. The MFA have stated that Collins, Roderick is still coach of Premier League side Floriana F.C. and this has been transmitted to the Football Association of Ireland (FAI)and UEFA. The FAI were unavailable for comment this afternoon as they are currently closed until after the New Year. Cork City F.C. are likewise closed until the New Year, as told by a club supporter by phone from Dublin. Floriana F.C. released a statement to the Maltese media this morning that laid out the claim for compensation and evidentially refuted the "facts" put forward by Collins in the Irish media. A senior club official who for procedural reasons cannot be named offered Mr. Collins is facing a very serious case of slander. He deliberately and with extreme malice did set out to drag Floriana F.C. down into the dirt with him and this behaviour has been his undoing. He already faces a warrant for failure to pay outstanding bills here in Malta and this will be enforced should he return and will be pursued through the Irish system. He cannot simply run away on debts and obligations in such a manner."

l-Orrizzont special report 29/12/09

The thing seems messy alright but I can make out in it that Roddy faces a warrent?!?

gimmick wrote: »
    Looks like CCFC will have the most potent attack in the LOI in the 2010. Andrew Cole to team up with Glen Crowe. That will get the punters through the gates.

I seriously doubt both of them coming to City next season. They club won't be able to pay any of their wages.

I seriously doubt both of them coming to City next season. They club won't be able to pay any of their wages.

Of course they won't, but it illustrates just how deluded and out of touch with reality Coughlan and Roddy are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

In all fairness, that didn't stop them last year. Stephen O'Donnell, Faz, Dan Connor. We've seen it before and they got away with that. I suppose I really should say 'he' instead of 'they'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

gimmick wrote: »
    Can't wait to see one of the PLs greatest ever goalscorers playing over here every week

George O'Callaghan released by Yeovil....wonder will Roddy try and sign him, since he has mentioned his interest in him before. That'll get the supporters through the gates :rolleyes:

96FM are reporting that Danny Murphy and Dan Murray have signed for Shamrock Rovers, but its all bull according to people who know them. Wonder what Danny will have to say about Billy Barry this time :p

George O'Callaghan released by Yeovil....wonder will Roddy try and sign him, since he has mentioned his interest in him before. That'll get the supporters through the gates :rolleyes:

96FM are reporting that Danny Murphy and Dan Murray have signed for Shamrock Rovers, but its all bull according to people who know them. Wonder what Danny will have to say about Billy Barry this time :p

Georgie released by Yeovil, really surprised by that;). Please, please, PLEASE don't sign him. At this rate, City have been turned into an absolute circus led by ringmaster Tommy and his assistant Roddy. My love for City is dying.

Wouldn't be surprised if Murray and Murphy joined Rovers. They deserve a lot more than what they've gone through this season. Oh and Gamble is signing for Hartlepool on a free on Jan 1 according to the Echo. We won't have a squad if we get a licence

Georgie released by Yeovil, really surprised by that;). Please, please, PLEASE don't sign him. At this rate, City have been turned into an absolute circus led by ringmaster Tommy and his assistant Roddy. My love for City is dying.

Wouldn't be surprised if Murray and Murphy joined Rovers. They deserve a lot more than what they've gone through this season. Oh and Gamble is signing for Hartlepool on a free on Jan 1 according to the Echo. We won't have a squad if we get a licence

Yeah, lets see how long he would last this time. Never really been a fan of George. In a way, I guess Tommy and Roddy are the perfect match for each other, both living in a dream world ;)

As for love of city dying, i think that started for me during the year and find myself not really bothered about attending matches next year, but still finding myself reading all about the circus rolling into town :/

To be honest, I can't really hold a grudge for any players who go elsewhere, especially with all that has gone on. No point staying and not getting their wages when there are mortgages to pay for and alot of the lads having families to look after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement