Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Low For Cork City FC (mod note #27)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I love how the word fudge has become a staple for LOI fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Pure Cork wrote: »
    CCFC will get a licence if the club meets the licensing requirements, and we'll find that out mid-February (or possibly 1st February). I really doubt there would be a fudge, if you've heard what the FAI have said about the situation.

If CCFC do get a licence, then by extension that would mean there has been a fudge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Des wrote: »
    If CCFC do get a licence, then by extension that would mean there has been a fudge.
    Not if, somehow, all the debts are cleared and any other problems are sorted.

all the debts are cleared and any other problems are sorted.

:D

:D

I'm going to wait until it's confirmed that Tommy is gone before I celebrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Apparently its 300k that is owed in wages. Also, Alan Mathews has withdrawn his legal proceedings, which means the wages he's owed will also be considered in the licensing application.

Petition to Wind Up: Cork City Investment FC Limited
    15 January 2010
    To be heard on 1st February 2010.
    Petitioner: Gerard Harrahill, Collector General
    Solicitor for the Petitioner: Frances Cooke, Revenue Solicitor
    Registered address: Rushbrook, Cobh, Co. Cork
    Last accounts filed: 30/11/2007
    CRO Number: 366256

fh041205 wrote: »
    Also, Alan Mathews has withdrawn his legal proceedings, which means the wages he's owed will also be considered in the licensing application.

I wonder did someone put Matthews up to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

... I have a sneaking suspicion that there'll be a fairly large fudge here, and we'll see Cork City, under TNB, in the PD next season.
    I’m not so sure about that. Having already set a precedent of sorts with Derry, the FAI would lose any remaining credibility if they were lenient with Cork. Apart from that, I think the FAI’s patience with the situation at CCFC has probably run out at this point – better to cut their losses at this stage. I don’t think they’d risk issuing a license with a winding-up order hanging over the club – that’s just asking for trouble. Everyone involved in the league is crying out for a completely uneventful 2010 – no publicity is good publicity as far as football in Ireland is concerned.

In somewhat related news, as expected, Derry have been removed from the remainder of the Septic-tanka Cup.

I wonder did someone put Matthews up to this.

He is allowed to resume the case at a later date, so I wouldn't be surprised. I also wouldn't be surprised if he did it himself. Of course, if CCIFC go down and FORAS take over the license, will he be entitled to any money?

He is allowed to resume the case at a later date, so I wouldn't be surprised. I also wouldn't be surprised if he did it himself. Of course, if CCIFC go down and FORAS take over the license, will he be entitled to any money?
    CCIFC owe the money. If CCIFC goes bust, the liquidator will distribute any assets. To take over the licence means to take over the club and all the debt. FORAS aren't taking over the licence, FORAS applied for a licence in the event that CCIFC doesn't get one.

• Advertisement

Would a FORAS backed club have a different name?

Would a FORAS backed club have a different name?
    Hopefully not. Derry City FC is still Derry City FC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

gimmick wrote: »
    I love how the word fudge has become a staple for LOI fans

Man see fudge; man say fudge.

CCIFC owe the money. If CCIFC goes bust, the liquidator will distribute any assets. To take over the licence means to take over the club and all the debt. FORAS aren't taking over the licence, FORAS applied for a licence in the event that CCIFC doesn't get one.

So unless Mathews is high up on the liquidator's list he'll get nothing, in the event that CCIFC go bust. I don't understand how FORAS can apply for a licence without a club......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

www.corkcityfc.ie

Reality Bites.

www.corkcityfc.ie

Reality Bites.

Some weird shít going on with TNB and the webmaster there, and it's fairly distasteful for either side to be washing their laundry in public like that tbh.,

Some weird shít going on with TNB and the webmaster there, and it's fairly distasteful for either side to be washing their laundry in public like that tbh.,

Should he leave his site up despite being owed money? What's wrong with giving a simple explanation of why the site is down? Was it distasteful when players and staff were in the media regarding non/late payment of wages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Unfortunately, that's been going on as long as I can remember with city.

But under the present ownership, record has shown that it is the only way to get things sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

If Cork get refused permission to play in europe , who gets their place?

• Advertisement

cymro wrote: »

Dundalk AFAIK. I think they've already been told to prepare for that eventuality, unofficially of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

I don't understand how FORAS can apply for a licence without a club......

Fingal County Council applied to join the League while they still had no club, so I don't see a problem for Foras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

cymro wrote: »

Coughlan was already informed that if he signed Roddy, there couldn't be an invitation to take their place in Europe. He still went ahead and signed Roddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Dundalk AFAIK. I think they've already been told to prepare for that eventuality, unofficially of course.

Actually it's us. Cook has a pro license, Foster doesn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Cork playing in St.Colmans Park this season by the looks of it. Hopefully playing down in the A League, don't fancy those trips down there since all the locals seem to love us Dubs, well they did the last two times we played down there.

• Advertisement

Cork playing in St.Colmans Park this season by the looks of it.

Heard that too. Although I was under the impression that the MFA wouldn't let Coughlan put Turners Cross down on their Licence application, so he had to change it. Could be like the time Rovers put United pk on theirs.
    Actually it's us. Cook has a pro license, Foster doesn't

Yes I was mistaken. Dundalk must be kicking themselves over that.

TNB's challenge to the FAIs charge of disrepute was thrown out of court today.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

FAI Statement:
    The Football Association of Ireland today (January 27) welcomed the High Court’s ruling not to grant Mr Tom Coughlan, Chairman of Cork City FC, a judicial review of the FAI independent disciplinary committee’s decision which banned him from football related activities for bringing the game into disrepute.

This case vindicates the FAI and its procedures as well as setting important precedent for costly and time consuming legal actions of this nature.

Through this ruling the High Court determined that sporting bodies like the FAI are not amenable to judicial review since the Association is not a public body.

The Court emphasised once again that disputes by members should be resolved through the internal mechanisms provided under Association rules and not made the subject of legal actions. Justice Hedigan noted that the FAI operates a very detailed and clear disciplinary process and provides for a speedy appeals mechanism, all of which was afforded to Mr Coughlan in this case. Regrettably the internal appeal mechanism was ignored by Mr Tom Coughlan.

In making his decision, Mr Justice John Hedigan dismissed the argument put forward that Mr Tom Coughlan, as chairman and owner of Cork City Investment FC Ltd, is not subject to the Association’s rules. The Court also noted that a short delay in the original hearing did not give Mr Tom Coughlan a right to arbitrarily walk out and accepted the right of the Chairman of the Disciplinary Committee not to adjourn the disciplinary case against him.

Welcoming the decision, Fran Gavin, Director of the League of Ireland said,
    “This High Court victory vindicates the independent disciplinary committee’s actions. Their finding that Mr Tom Coughlan brought the game into disrepute and their sanction now stands. By ignoring the internal appeals process open to him and engaging in a costly and entirely unnecessary Judicial Review application to the High Court, Mr Coughlan has squandered money that should have gone into League of Ireland football. We again call on Mr Coughlan to stand down from the untenable position he holds at Cork City FC in the interests of the game, the club and most importantly its fans. We thank our Legal Counsel and our solicitors in A&L Goodbody for their assistance in this case.”

tnb got his arse well and truly kicked by the Court.
    Good to see Gavin putting the boot in also. I hope the FAI pursue him for every cent of their costs.
    They should bring another charge of disrepute against him for this! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/2835/

Coughlan set to step down

by Alan Smith
    Thu, Jan 28 2010
    Tom Coughlan
    Sources close to extratime.ie have confirmed that Cork City chairman Tom Coughlan will step down from his position today [Thursday].

The news comes after Mr. Coughlan failed with his High-Court appeal to have his 12-month ban from football overturned on Wednesday.

It is now expected that the club will be taken-over by local businessman Michael O'Connell, who was aided by the Quintas group in recent discussions with Coughlan.

An official statement is expected to be released by the club later today.

I can smell a huge fudge on the horizon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Club Statement:
    Cork City Football Club wish to confirm that Mr Tom Coughlan will step down as Chairman of the club.

The club will shortly appoint an interim Chairman to oversee the proposed takeover of the club and ensure the strategic development of the club for the 2010 season and into the future.

:rolleyes:

FAI Statement:
    Rather than talking of stepping down as Chairman of Cork City FC, Mr Coughlan should immediately relinquish ownership of the club and allow in the parties who have expressed an interest in taking Cork City forward. These parties made their interest clear to Mr Coughlan many months ago, yet nothing has happened. Gestures at the eleventh hour when it could be too late to rectify next season are too little, too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

great news for yee today wasnt it

well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

Coughlan was on Off the Ball there tonight, didn't really get himself across to well, getting riled up over petty details and generally playing the "I'm doing the best I can" card. He says he'll tranfer ownership within the next couple of weeks though.

...and the fun has ended. Roll on Roddy taking over the club and the laughs will keep coming.

...and the fun has ended.
    Not by a long shot, sure we've only seen a glimpse of the fudge so far.

I firmly believe Delaney will give Cork a Premier Licence.

Any Cork City fan who even tries to defend that decision is a clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

According to Foot.ie (the decrepid mess that it is) the club doctor hasn't been paid in 2 years...

No business should be allowed to operate treating employees in such a manner. Then again, you've got to hand some of the blame to the doctor for continuing his services for so long without renumeration.

Players and staff had a press conference this morning in Cork. Players will not play competitively for the club while Coughlan is still involved in the club. Conference can be viewed here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Players fined 2 weeks wages for striking over not being paid since 14th november, they should send in the fines in cheques :p

thats ****ing madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

It's gone beyond a new low now.
    To hear Dan Murray describe what he is putting up with is just shocking.
    And to think that Collins wants to get rid of him..:rolleyes:
    Btw, this coughlan is a disgraceful excuse for a human being...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

there is no way in hell that anyone should support the club while coughlan is involved) based on what has happened in the last 24 hours.

Tom Coughlan is a parasite. how he can treat staff like that is unbelievable.

The staff who have not been paid since june/july should have spoken up long before now.

TNB should be 100% ashamed of himself and should not be allowed to be involved in any business.

• Advertisement

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0130/corkcity.html

Which according to the FAI's licensing booklet means Cork City FC as it stands should not be allowed to compete in the League of Ireland. Fat chance of that happening. :rolleyes:

Can smell the fudge already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can smell the fudge already!

I honestly can't see it. If he doesn't walk this week, I think they'll be denied a licence and FORAS will get a First Division One.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

ccosgrave wrote: »
    Coughlan was on Off the Ball there tonight, didn't really get himself across to well, getting riled up over petty details and generally playing the "I'm doing the best I can" card. He says he'll tranfer ownership within the next couple of weeks though.

He really was pathetic, he went on a rant for about 2 minutes cos Eoin McDevett called Matthews and Farelly 2 managers instead of a player and a manager! Thought McDevett could have asked some tougher questions.
    The neck Coughlan has, he actually said it was a good year for Cork!

I honestly can't see it. If he doesn't walk this week, I think they'll be denied a licence and FORAS will get a First Division One.

If he doesn't walk this week? All debts, etc... were meant to be paid by the 29th January, and they weren't.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    He really was pathetic, he went on a rant for about 2 minutes cos Eoin McDevett called Matthews and Farelly 2 managers instead of a player and a manager!

He's just pissed because he offered Farrelly the managers job in Cork and he more or less told him to go fk himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

If he doesn't walk this week? All debts, etc... were meant to be paid by the 29th January, and they weren't.

Yeh, but the FAI make up the rules as they go along and they don't want a premier division without Cork.

If Cork get themselves up to scratch before the season kicks off, they'll be in the premier.

dyl10 wrote: »
    Yeh, but the FAI make up the rules as they go along and they don't want a premier division without Cork.

If Cork get themselves up to scratch before the season kicks off, they'll be in the premier.

Hence my "Can smell the fudge already!" comment.

But as Fran Gavin told me firmly last season when Drogs, Cork, Kildare etc... got some fudge, it's not up to the FAI.:rolleyes:

The six players suspended and fined are Dan Murray, Danny Murphy, Dan Connor, Stephen O' Donnell, Paul Deasy and Mark McNulty. Disgraceful stuff, but I suppose at the minute it makes no difference since they aren't even getting paid! :mad:

TNB is showing himself to be the clown that he is and the sooner he cuts all ties with the club, the better! He seemed to come in as the "saviour" of the club, but with no knowledge of how to run a club, which showed from the start, he has only ended up tarnishing his own name and turned the club into a joke!

It was said in the Evening Echo today by Gerry Harris (chances are he has been suspended as well, as he was at the table for the press conference), that the club were 75% of the way to securing the licence and have been given a five day extention.

....have been given a five day extention.

And so it begins.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Paparazzo wrote: »
    He really was pathetic, he went on a rant for about 2 minutes cos Eoin McDevett called Matthews and Farelly 2 managers instead of a player and a manager! Thought McDevett could have asked some tougher questions.
    The neck Coughlan has, he actually said it was a good year for Cork!

He was quoted as saying that because of him City were able to win the Setanta Cup and qualify for Europe. It's amazing how deluded the man really is. Those things were achieved despite Coughlan being there.

Hopefully we'll be rid of him soon and hopefully he'll take Meaney and Roddy with him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement