Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about debit cards and fraud...

Options
  • 25-09-2009 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

cannot find anything in the banks terms and conditions.
    If a visa debit card was used fraudulantly to purchase something online, the fraudsters could clear out a current account? no pin required. and no limit?
    I'm wondering how the bank would deal with this.
    Obviously if the PIN was used I can see how they would not be liable as said customer obviously wrote it somewhere etc. but if someone working in a shop took the details while I paid for something (and the number off the back) and bought something online, would I be covered. I know CC usually only have you liable for the first 50euro etc, wondering if the new breed of current accounts using debit cards have the same safegaurd in place. anyone know?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I think they put secure verification systems in place to make sure the card is being used by the owner.

Something like this, perhaps: http://www.ulsterbank.ie/ni/personal/daily-banking/current-accounts/card/ulsterbank-secure.ashx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Ah yes, I have seen this before. It needs to be supported by the seller too though. And I think only about 10% of online sites that take Visa offer this.
    I'm sure if I ring them up they will explain but didn't really want to ring them and say "if my card gets stoeln and my current account emptied am I covered for reimbursal if its fraudulant" etc. I'm sure there must be cover in place. Probably a whole department tasked with determining genuine fraud cases.

I think they put secure verification systems in place to make sure the card is being used by the owner.

Something like this, perhaps: http://www.ulsterbank.ie/ni/personal/daily-banking/current-accounts/card/ulsterbank-secure.ashx

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Basically the bank will investigate it and if they're satisfied it's fraudulent they'll refund you. I can't speak for all institutions, but I know the one I work for will generally refund the full amount of the loss. They do have fraud departments who keep an eye and flag up transactions that might be suspicious. Often they'll ring the customers to check if the transactions are genuine.

Advertisement