Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 6 is the best Final Fantasy Game

Options
  • 25-09-2009 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I know most will diagree and say FF7 is the best, but most people havent even played FF6. FF6 which was FF3 in the states wasn't even released in europe, you could only play it if you had a converter or an american snes which I had.Graphics wise FF7 is better of course but for sear gameplay and story FF6 wins handsdown.Actually there were quite a few of those squaresoft rpgs that were just little gems that never got release over here , chrono trigger,secret of mana(was released here) Mario RPG, Earthbound,illusion of gaia,were all class,actually some I mentioned were by enix

Shadow run was also a class rpg on the snes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Moved to ff forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And you are dead right FF6 is way better than FVII. In fact I'd go so far to say that FFVII is pretty average for the series. The story isn't all great shakes when you look at it, the translation is beyond dreadful and the battle system is the most uninteresting of the entire series. It's not just squaresoft RPGs that are better than it but there are many others from other companies that are far better than FFVII. FFVII blew people away at the time and was genuinely groundbreaking but I think it's only enduring due to nostalgia and the fact that it's usually the only JRPG many people have played. I used to be in the FFVII is the best game ever camp but I'm older and wiser now and see the error of my ways and have played much better games in the same genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Legend of Dragoon is better!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I loved this game!!!! wish i had been able to finish it :(

I really liked FF6, maybe because it was my first step into FF history, probably because it was the only game i had for about 3 months, but I can't help the fact that I look on FF7 fondly to this day. I've recognised all the faults that Retro always points out but as he says, it's down to nostalgia. I F**king love FF7. but i agree that FF6 was an amazing game

RedXIV wrote: »
    I loved this game!!!! wish i had been able to finish it :(

I really liked FF6, maybe because it was my first step into FF history, probably because it was the only game i had for about 3 months, but I can't help the fact that I look on FF7 fondly to this day. I've recognised all the faults that Retro always points out but as he says, it's down to nostalgia. I F**king love FF7. but i agree that FF6 was an amazing game

How was FFVI your first final fantasy game?

Did you buy the psone disc of it before FFVII?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

I enjoyed ff6 when I played it way back when, it was fairly revolutionary for its time but to be honest I dont think you can stick it and FF7 together and state one is better than the other without resorting to your own personal peferance.

Both pushed the limits of what a JRPG was for the time in terms of gamplay,story and hardware. The argument of people liking FF7 because they played it an impressionable age dosent hold much weight for me.

Yes I was young when I played it, but that dose not take away form the great backrounds, great cast of characters, eaisly the best video game soundtrack I have heard, only rivaled by final fantasy 10.

It seems to me that alot of people seem to hate ff7 due to its popularity.
    The typical complaints used against it "emo characters, bad translation" can be applied to evey episode of the series before ff10, "you spooney bard" etc.

Still though its nice to actully have an argument about which game is better considering the franchise has gone to the dogs and sold out completly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Quoting this because I forgot what a fantastic game that was, I got to the last boss fought it for about an hour before I died and never played it again.

Absolute Classic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Both pushed the limits of what a JRPG was for the time in terms of gamplay,story and hardware. The argument of people liking FF7 because they played it an impressionable age dosent hold much weight for me.

Yes I was young when I played it, but that dose not take away form the great backrounds, great cast of characters, eaisly the best video game soundtrack I have heard, only rivaled by final fantasy 10.

It seems to me that alot of people seem to hate ff7 due to its popularity.
    The typical complaints used against it "emo characters, bad translation" can be applied to evey episode of the series before ff10, "you spooney bard" etc.

Still though its nice to actully have an argument about which game is better considering the franchise has gone to the dogs and sold out completly.

I'm complaining about FFVII because for the series it was a massive step backwards for FF and also for JRPGs. FFVII was only revolutionary for it's technical achievements. It's battle system is simplictic compared to nearly every other JRPG and a walk in the park. Look what came before it, FFV's job system, FFVI's class based system, not to mention countless other JRPGs with better systems at the time. The story is a rushed mess and can't hold a candle to chrono trigger, FFVI, phantasy star IV, lufia 2 etc. Also the translation is an utter disgrace compared to Ted Woolseys great work on the Squaresoft RPGs of the SNES era.

It's a good game but best FF game? Best JRPG? Best game ever? Not a chance I'm afraid.
    Quoting this because I forgot what a fantastic game that was, I got to the last boss fought it for about an hour before I died and never played it again.

Absolute Classic.

Where the hell is this love for Legend of Dragoon coming from, are you all taking the piss? I can understand people liking FFVII but legend of dragoon is one of the most mundane and boring JRPGs ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 The_Hat

An FF6 thread that hasn't mentioned Kefka? Blasphemy, surely! Best FF villain surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And you are dead right FF6 is way better than FVII. In fact I'd go so far to say that FFVII is pretty average for the series. The story isn't all great shakes when you look at it, the translation is beyond dreadful and the battle system is the most uninteresting of the entire series. It's not just squaresoft RPGs that are better than it but there are many others from other companies that are far better than FFVII. FFVII blew people away at the time and was genuinely groundbreaking but I think it's only enduring due to nostalgia and the fact that it's usually the only JRPG many people have played. I used to be in the FFVII is the best game ever camp but I'm older and wiser now and see the error of my ways and have played much better games in the same genre.

Only you could do a post on a FF6 appreciation thread and only talk about how much FF7 annoys you.

FF7 has more than technical achievements, you could fully customise each character, the battles were more satisfying and the Story was better with the CD allowing a decent character analysis and proper emotive responses compared to having 12+ main characters in FF6 with a little exposition on each one.

Both great games of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

How was FFVI your first final fantasy game?

Did you buy the psone disc of it before FFVII?

it wasn't my first, it was my first step into the history of FF6, i got it after playing FF9 and wanted to play the earlier games. Was great because my PS1 broke and i had it on snes :D

I'm complaining about FFVII because for the series it was a massive step backwards for FF and also for JRPGs. FFVII was only revolutionary for it's technical achievements. It's battle system is simplictic compared to nearly every other JRPG and a walk in the park. Look what came before it, FFV's job system, FFVI's class based system, not to mention countless other JRPGs with better systems at the time. The story is a rushed mess and can't hold a candle to chrono trigger, FFVI, phantasy star IV, lufia 2 etc. Also the translation is an utter disgrace compared to Ted Woolseys great work on the Squaresoft RPGs of the SNES era.

It's a good game but best FF game? Best JRPG? Best game ever? Not a chance I'm afraid.

I agree that FFVII owes alot to nostalgia for its popularity, but i played alot of games that i loved as a child but none of them left an impact like FFVII. I recently bought the Blu-Ray version of FFVII:AC and to the utter disgust of my girlfriend (and probably retro :D) I went straight home to watch it. I'm a sucker for a story and the fact that FFVII has 4 extra story adaptations, regardless of quality, got me excited. I know the story has flaws and I know it was rushed but dammit, I can't help but love it. Simple lessons, with interesting characters are all the recipe I need to be sold :o

Where the hell is this love for Legend of Dragoon coming from, are you all taking the piss? I can understand people liking FFVII but legend of dragoon is one of the most mundane and boring JRPGs ever made.

I didn't get to finish it but the part of the game I played was enjoyable for me :) but then again, as I said earlier, I am a sucker for a story :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I recently played through this again and it reminded me of how much of a fantastic game it is. It has a brilliant cast of characters with Shadow being the best for me, even Gau who spends pretty much the majority of the game being really irritating has his great scenes. The story is great and the battle system is good. For me though, the absolutely epic soundtrack is the games crowning glory, there are so many brilliant tracks in this game.

My only problem is Ultima makes the game far too easy. A comparison between Chrono Trigger and FF6 would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

noodler wrote: »
    Only you could do a post on a FF6 appreciation thread and only talk about how much FF7 annoys you.

FF7 has more than technical achievements, you could fully customise each character, the battles were more satisfying and the Story was better with the CD allowing a decent character analysis and proper emotive responses compared to having 12+ main characters in FF6 with a little exposition on each one.

Both great games of course.

surely someone have to do the :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: face when they read this?:D

every FF after 6 is using some original parts from 6 to build up their level up/battle system, and,frankly,the story too:pac: not saying that 6 doesnt use the ideas/experience from the previous FF1-5 but FF6 is like the ultimate version of everything they can think of and throw them in together - it is certainly not the perfect/flawless JRPG EVER made , but i doubt that any existed RPG can offer more than what FF6 can offers.story,music,level up/battle/summon system made FF6 a pure timeless epic classic.

characters' stoeries?:p

if you wanna attack FF6 please aim at their MIDI songs,the small cute characters design etc etc usual ways to criticise the older less-visual-impressive games which will probably sound more logical and acceptable.but obviously if you do that you would surely sound like b@astard caused' you are talking about an old game from the last last generation?:D

just admit that you dont fcking like the old crap 2D characters plus there is no crazy heavy metal music and there is no emo kid characters who trying to pose and acting unnecessary cool all the time during the game.oh, and of course the female characters in FF6 also s*ck caused' they are not 'visually' attractive,dont they :P

and yes,all games annoy me at some point during the gameplay - there is no perfect game out there that can satisfy me in everyway.but i tend to speak out what i really feel on the behalf of the facts of these games. FF7 is without a doubt has a big place in FF history while of course i will recommend every gamer should try out all the old era FF - but if you ask me ,which one is my no.1 godlike FF?:P the one with this theme song.

seraphimvc wrote: »
    surely someone have to do the :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: face when they read this?:D

every FF after 6 is using some original parts from 6 to build up their level up/battle system, and,frankly,the story too:pac:

characters' stoeries?:p go dig up the old threads!

I don't know whether to report the post or request a translation.

You haven't written enough actual points for me to counter though.

Are you able to understand my post or would you like some of the bigger words explained? Just drop me a PM if you do.

ah,as usual i tend to spend ages on editing my post lol
    I don't know whether to report the post or request a translation.

You haven't written enough actual points for me to counter though.

Are you able to understand my post or would you like some of the bigger words explained? Just drop me a PM if you do.

wow ,read your post 2nd time again,what you quote of i wrote has nothing wrong in english literature at all - you need a translation??

can i take that as an offence that you saying that i cant speak english??:( i will demand a ban as that is a discrimination, a personal insult.the roll eye icon has always existed in Boards.ie for a long long time, i gave your post a roll eye and that means i disagree what you said,common sense?also,your original post of replying Retro:

now THAT is rude and ignorance. and that should be considered as a personal abuse - ie your post is disturbing.which is another reason why i gave you a roll eye - i strongly disagree what you said and dislike your rude reply to other boardsie.

again i said there is nothing wrong with my before edited post.this sentence is everything that you need to counter:

every FF after 6 is using some original parts from 6 to build up their level up/battle system, and,frankly,the story too.

name one thing that in level up/battle system and story that doesnt exist or traces can not be found in FF6.since you are saying ff7 has outperformed ff6 in story/characters/battle system.i will state out the exact same thing what ff6 has and that ff6 has a more advanced/decent system which gives the player more fun and more strategic.

maybe i should explain everything in the simplest form:rolleyes: every characters in ff6 has a complete unique and decent story behind.their tales are fully told and explained as epicly as possible - related to family,country,love.

tell me about barret's story - which is empty.he doesnt even get much dialogue after they left the bar.
    tell me about cait sith - empty.
    tell me about cid - er.....a pilot?
    tifa?the childhood part with cloud scene and the part she saw the mines incident and after that she didnt get much attention,not even touching or decent at all.
    yuffie and vincent small story too.vincent's vengence can be done far better.
    there,most the team of ff7 is gone.RED13 and aeris-cloud-sephiroth are the only touching decent ones.(think back of now,was aeris really necessary to be killed?sephiroth just jump down from nowhere and kill the girl without a reason.........pure evil?emo rage??)

ff6
    cyan - country man.do i need to explain more?phantom train was heart broken.
    terra - complex sad love story of parents from different races.and thus her own sad little girl story.
    terra-locke-celes - triangle love,the complicated background of three of them makes the love story more appealling than tifa-cloud-aeris(teenage young people drama)?
    shadow-relm - father and daughter,decent stuff
    sabin-edgar - country men,royal family touching brothers story
    even the mog who doesnt say a word have a nice light hearted story with the yeti :p
    and what more?gau,orphan,a small discussion of this social phenomeno.
    the weak stories would be the typical hero who save the world Locke,old wizard-relm- grandparent+granddaughter family,the poker guy pilot(hell,even there is fcking love story with his airship!).

the debate of the ff6 has the most epic stories in the series is a damn old one already....the stories are there,if you didnt notice/feel them,blame who? as a matter of fact,ff6 has a more mature audience approaching than ff7,ff7 is aiming the younger generation market.bear in mind that i havent even mentioned the legendary boss Kefka:pac: sephiroth on the other hand is just..emo raging....speaking of this,i think retro had some discussion on sephiroth with you back then.....

as i said,shoot the visual effect or the old midi music if you want,but trying to say ff6 has a sh!tty story will just make yourself feel sorry.

and the battle system you said?jesus....any customisation of the character:magic/summon/weapons you can ever think of,they are all in ff6.......i will quote this post as a future reference if i ever talking about the stuffs of ff6&ff7 again.

p/s:i wrote all the above without looking into wikipedia or anything - a die hard fan of FF indeed :Dthis means i love FF games and i discuss here for the sake of being a FF lover - not those people who fight for 'oh,my FFX is da BEST' fanboy.if i find your reply offensive or trying to look for trouble, i probably will just click the ignore your post button.

Noodler, try and be a bit more subtle. I think i shouldbe obvious by now that seraphimvc isn't a native english speaker (I hope).

Noodler, try and be a bit more subtle. I think i shouldbe obvious by now that seraphimvc isn't a native english speaker (I hope).

Did you try and read the above?

What more can I possibly do?

Language barrier or not I think it is pretty obvious she knows what she is doing with the trolling of every comment I make regardless of forum. Christ, even trying to tell moderators my posts are banworthy.

Being bad at English should not allow you to snipe away at willl.

Did you try and read the above?

What more can I possibly do?

Language barrier or not I think it is pretty obvious she knows what she is doing with the trolling of every comment I make regardless of forum. Christ, even trying to tell moderators my posts are banworthy.

Being bad at English should not allow you to snipe away at willl.
    is a he :pac:

trolling?*sigh*

my points are there.

funny to see you always try to avoid to reply my point of view by saying you cant understand -

my english maybe bad,but my points are still valid.they are understandable.

i never personally target your post,jesus,try to search my reply posts:eek:i always reply whenever i want regarding the topic,and for a record,this is your annoying post that comes out of nowhere annoying reply i can remember so well caused' since then i recognize your name.BUT, i always reply your post with a valid point - if i dont agree,i shout out,if i agree,i thank you,checked your thanked post :rolleyes:

and Retro,i honestly expect some basic respect to any posters in the forum:

what?who are you? what makes you thinks that he is the ONLY one who likes FF6 better than ff7?There are countless of people/critics out there you can find with a quick google.You ignore the points which the man stated earlier and try to pull out this:

thus,i disagree with you and i fully explain my point of views that counter your reply.i tell you why ff6's characters are more customisable than ff7 ones.seriously,common sense??ff7 and ff6 use the same 'magic learn from stone' system and ff6 has far more magic stones than they have?while the abilities orginally with the characters,gosh,cloud-swordman,tifa-setzer....again,ff6 has more characters with more unique abilities in them,gau has 10times more skills can be learned from enemy skill materia!fully customise each characters ?ff6 has more a more unique/better design rather than the ff7's characters since everyone in ff7 are interchangable if you have the right materia on her/him.and i fully explain why ff7's characters stories s*cks on the above post.Retro,please give me a hand here, you read them and tell me do i have my points?

who is wrong or who is right,read what we have written.you are offensive and deserve a ban saying i have bad english = my points are not invalid,ie you dont understand so no reply needed.the fanboy attitude of yours also should be considered in.

While I agree with your points more than noodlers regarding FFVII and FFVI, noodler is perfectly entitled to his opinion on the the matter. We can argue points but please both of you don't start taking these up as personal slights against each other. I'd rather not have to hand out bans.

Seraphimvc, there's no point trying to change peoples opinions since it rarely will happne. Argue your points as to why FFVI is better than FFVII but don't try to change peoples minds because there will always be people that will disagree with you. Just look at Legend of Dragoon, it's far and away the worst JRPG I've suffered through and yet there's people that think it's one of the best games ever made.

I used to be really bad with trying to change peoples opinions on games on here when I started (and I was arguing for FFVII as the best game ever usually back then :) ) but I since learned that there's no need to push your point. I might lapse every now and then but I try my best not to try and change peoples minds and instead argue my points and not press it if it looks like it's going to turn ugly. You'll only end up in fights that will get you banned.

I still think this forum should be changed to JRPG forum then there can be some proper trolling of FFVII fans :pac:

• Advertisement

While I agree with your points more than noodlers regarding FFVII and FFVI, noodler is perfectly entitled to his opinion on the the matter. We can argue points but please both of you don't start taking these up as personal slights against each other. I'd rather not have to hand out bans.

Seraphimvc, there's no point trying to change peoples opinions since it rarely will happne. Argue your points as to why FFVI is better than FFVII but don't try to change peoples minds because there will always be people that will disagree with you. Just look at Legend of Dragoon, it's far and away the worst JRPG I've suffered through and yet there's people that think it's one of the best games ever made.

I used to be really bad with trying to change peoples opinions on games on here when I started (and I was arguing for FFVII as the best game ever usually back then :) ) but I since learned that there's no need to push your point. I might lapse every now and then but I try my best not to try and change peoples minds and instead argue my points and not press it if it looks like it's going to turn ugly. You'll only end up in fights that will get you banned.
    i didnt try to push or change people's mind :( i was simply stating out what i thought and felt out of honesty for these games(as i always do, all these years in forum).
    i stated out my point of views and reasons - they are fully debatable.but noodler on the other hand only shouted out 1 sentence:'I dont understand what you are talking about!'.

good god,anyone in my position will be (slightly) annoyed?this is a forum for rational discussion afterall.

i have been here long enough to tell people that i am a boardsie who play nice and tend to stay away from troubles :)and at least now i know my english written sentences are readable and understandable.thanks!

sorry for the OOT now.:(

p/s:i tried to search helpdesk to see if he has any previous record:pac: i am not surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Final Fantasy VII was bloody wonderful, both innovation and story wise, until
    aeriths death
    when the whole game just seemed to collapse.

VI is probably the best of the 2d ones, but I feel that one of the major pros - the steampunk vibe - is still better carried out in VII and that there were some very questionable design features in it (espers/magic).

Overall my preference lies heavily with VII/VIII/X in the current generation - the more JRPGy and cartoony they get the less interest I have. I've a copy of Suikoden for the PSX waiting till after my exams, hopefully it'll recreate the same great experiences I've had with these,ChronoTrigger or Seiken Denetsu 3.

For nerdy extra credit, can anyone tell me if a ROM of "Final Fantasy VI: The Interactive CG Game" for the N64 was ever leaked? I saw a video of it ages ago.

I still think this forum should be changed to JRPG forum then there can be some proper trolling of FFVII fans :pac:

I'd be well up for this, it's very llimited at the moment.
    jimi_t wrote:
    VI is probably the best of the 2d ones, but I feel that one of the major pros - the steampunk vibe - is still better carried out in VII and that there were some very questionable design features in it (espers/magic).

Espers/magic is just materia except handled way better though?
    jimi_t wrote:
    For nerdy extra credit, can anyone tell me if a ROM of "Final Fantasy VI: The Interactive CG Game" for the N64 was ever leaked? I saw a video of it ages ago.

It was never a N64 rom. It was more a target render and I don't think it was ever advertised as anything to do with the N64. It was something knocked out by square on SGI workstations as a learning tool for the guys about to do the FFVII CGI work. Since it was on an SGI workstation and silicon graphics had a hand in the N64 development it was assumed it was a N64 demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I'd be well up for this, it's very llimited at the moment.
    Yes please, so very much so - although I think I'll pass on the trolling of FFVII fans. ;)

Retr0, how easy would it be for the section to be renamed?

GothPunk wrote: »
    Yes please, so very much so - although I think I'll pass on the trolling of FFVII fans. ;)

Then i could talk about Etrian Odyssey and Others.

GothPunk wrote: »

I'm not sure it would be that hard, it will be up to the admins. I could start a thread in feedback or forums boards and I'll post a link here so people can give feedback.

FF might be the most popular series in the west but it's far from the best JRPG series and it really limits it especially with how unpopular FF XI is.

If I had my way it would be a Shin Megami Tensei forum :)

I'm not sure it would be that hard, it will be up to the admins. I could start a thread in feedback or forums boards and I'll post a link here so people can give feedback.

Yep, do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

IX

Jeremy parish's final fantasy VI lookback @ gamespite

• Advertisement

He did one on FF Tactics and FFXII as well in that series of articles as well as a FFIX one done by Kat Bailey.

I think i love Kat Bailey :) You should check out her blog on 1up the Grind. It's all about RPGs.

Advertisement