Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 6 is the best Final Fantasy Game

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    He did one on FF Tactics and FFXII as well in that series of articles as well as a FFIX one done by Kat Bailey.

I think i love Kat Bailey :) You should check out her blog on 1up the Grind. It's all about RPGs.

Yep i read it and follow her twitter feed. Someone called her a JRPG Hater yesterday on 1up when she openly tells everyone that FFVI got her into gaming :D They also have a podcast now called Active Time Babble

I like their views as they don't seem to give into fanboys yet don't rubbish games to be elite and trendy. If they like a game, they say it and don't just carbon copy other sites reviews. Prinny: Can I Be the Hero is an example of that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm listening to the 1up yours podcast, starting back in 2006 and it's hilarious. They are usually pretty drunk doing it and break embargoes and give each other awful slagging. It's a pity Shane 'Sony' Battenhausen isn't working there anymore. I love the stick he gets over loving Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

seraphimvc wrote: »
    i didnt try to push or change people's mind :( i was simply stating out what i thought and felt out of honesty for these games(as i always do, all these years in forum).
    i stated out my point of views and reasons - they are fully debatable.but noodler on the other hand only shouted out 1 sentence:'I dont understand what you are talking about!'.

good god,anyone in my position will be (slightly) annoyed?this is a forum for rational discussion afterall.

i have been here long enough to tell people that i am a boardsie who play nice and tend to stay away from troubles :)and at least now i know my english written sentences are readable and understandable.thanks!

sorry for the OOT now.:(

p/s:i tried to search helpdesk to see if he has any previous record:pac: i am not surprise.

You have got to be kidding me?

How much more of this crap do i have to take exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Let's try and keep things civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Seraphimvc

Here, remember this post?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61643939&postcount=34

and then this one from the moderator wanring you not to take argument's into other threads?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61659005&postcount=42

Please don't ever try and make yourself sound objective please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lads just stop bickering. The next one that throws a personel insult at the other is getting a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

I know most will diagree and say FF7 is the best, but most people havent even played FF6. FF6 which was FF3 in the states wasn't even released in europe, you could only play it if you had a converter or an american snes which I had.Graphics wise FF7 is better of course but for sear gameplay and story FF6 wins handsdown.Actually there were quite a few of those squaresoft rpgs that were just little gems that never got release over here , chrono trigger,secret of mana(was released here) Mario RPG, Earthbound,illusion of gaia,were all class,actually some I mentioned were by enix

Shadow run was also a class rpg on the snes

I agree with this post.

Its sure been a while, but FF6 really pushed the medium in terms of narrative complexity. It was pretty damn excellent for its time. Sure, the script is simple, in terms of the amount of words that describe a given situation - but even though its simply told, there's a lot of depth and subtlety to the characters actions and motivations. Considering the state of the medium at that time, the plot and script are excellent.

FF7 was a good game too, and technically revolutionary, but the plot wasn't nearly as self-consistent, or as well written. There were some good scenes, but it was somewhat overwrought - didn't have as much class, and was less well thought out. It might have been exciting at the time, but it was harder to care for the range of characters. And the world of FF7 wasn't as internally coherent as that of FF6.

The gameplay of FF6 was pretty clearly more complex and better. The battle system in FF7 was a huge dumbing down. Sure, you could customise all the characters - but in other words they were basically interchangeable from a gameplay point of view. FF6 encouraged their differences and unique skills to be tactically deployed in different situations. There were some pretty good combinations of tactics that could be used too.
    My only problem is Ultima makes the game far too easy.
    I'd agree with this - it breaks the battle system when you get to that stage in the game - 4 x ultima + mimic was too powerful.

Chronotrigger and SoM are mentioned... CT was of course awesome, if maybe a less adult game that FF6. I'd love to see a modern remake of that actually, with a more mature setting and script - maybe work in a horror angle - but similar gameplay and ideas. The time travel gameplay scenarios were excellently executed.
    Its interesting, I think CT and SoM will serve more as templates for the future of RPGs than FF6 etc - non random encounters, more directly controlled action, situated in the world.

Controversial opinion:
    I think the combat systems in WoW and FF12 are just regressions, and hopefully shortlived ones. They are fundamentally boring, and eventually this will become apparent.

fergalr wrote: »
    CT was of course awesome, if maybe a less adult game that FF6. I'd love to see a modern remake of that actually, with a more mature setting and script - maybe work in a horror angle - but similar gameplay and ideas. The time travel gameplay scenarios were excellently executed.

Oh dear god no! It's perfect the way it is. They tried that with Chrono Cross and it just didn't work. All the charm from Trigger just wasn't there and it felt so out of place.
    fergalr wrote: »
    Its interesting, I think CT and SoM will serve more as templates for the future of RPGs than FF6 etc - non random encounters, more directly controlled action, situated in the world.

TBH the 32-bit RPGs have a lot to answer for when games like Earthbound and Chrono Trigger had visible enemies on the overworld. There really was no excuse to have random encounters especially when 32-bit RPGs like Grandia had visible enemies. Square RPGs were particularly bad due to the awful load times, stuff like suikoden had no load times so random encounters weren't jarring at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

tell me about barret's story - which is empty.he doesnt even get much
    dialogue after they left the bar.
    This character has a reasonably fleshed out backstory, with a kid, and with the story of how he lost his arm.
    tell me about cait sith - empty.
    tell me about cid - er.....a pilot?
    tifa?the childhood part with cloud scene and the part she saw the mines incident and after that she didnt get much attention,not even touching or decent at all.
    Mostly agree here - although the fact that cloud remembers things that didn't happen, and how this plays out when he communications his non-real memories with Tifa is pretty good stuff.
    yuffie and vincent small story too.vincent's vengence can be done far better.
    there,most the team of ff7 is gone.RED13 and aeris-cloud-sephiroth are the only touching decent ones.(think back of now,was aeris really necessary to be killed?sephiroth just jump down from nowhere and kill the girl without a reason.........pure evil?emo rage??)
    Sephiroths story was excellent. He was a very well done antagonist - hard to argue with that.
    Aeris could have done with some backstory alright - and there's an element to which she was 'refrigeratored' to give cloud motivation. Still, struck an emotional cord with a lot of young gamers playing it at the time.
    As you say, Reds story was good too.

But yeah, for my money, the stories in FF6 are more varied, subtle, well written etc.
    Maybe you just had to be there in the early 90s :-) I dunno!
    ff6
    cyan - country man.do i need to explain more?phantom train was heart broken.
    terra - complex sad love story of parents from different races.and thus her own sad little girl story.
    terra-locke-celes - triangle love,the complicated background of three of them makes the love story more appealling than tifa-cloud-aeris(teenage young people drama)?
    shadow-relm - father and daughter,decent stuff
    sabin-edgar - country men,royal family touching brothers story
    even the mog who doesnt say a word have a nice light hearted story with the yeti :p
    and what more?gau,orphan,a small discussion of this social phenomeno.
    the weak stories would be the typical hero who save the world Locke,old wizard-relm- grandparent+granddaughter family,the poker guy pilot(hell,even there is fcking love story with his airship!).

the debate of the ff6 has the most epic stories in the series is a damn old one already....the stories are there,if you didnt notice/feel them,blame who? as a matter of fact,ff6 has a more mature audience approaching than ff7,ff7 is aiming the younger generation market.bear in mind that i havent even mentioned the legendary boss Kefka:pac: sephiroth on the other hand is just..emo raging....speaking of this,i think retro had some discussion on sephiroth with you back then.....

as i said,shoot the visual effect or the old midi music if you want,but trying to say ff6 has a sh!tty story will just make yourself feel sorry.

and the battle system you said?jesus....any customisation of the character:magic/summon/weapons you can ever think of,they are all in ff6.......i will quote this post as a future reference if i ever talking about the stuffs of ff6&ff7 again.

p/s:i wrote all the above without looking into wikipedia or anything - a die hard fan of FF indeed :Dthis means i love FF games and i discuss here for the sake of being a FF lover - not those people who fight for 'oh,my FFX is da BEST' fanboy.if i find your reply offensive or trying to look for trouble, i probably will just click the ignore your post button.

Advertisement