Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue

• 25-09-2009 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Picked this up about 90 mins ago, and it is getting it's first listen as I type. Am currently on the fourth track "Your Decision" and am liking what I hear.

It is very much a typical Alice In Chains album so far, with Layne's presence weighing heavily in the lyrics, intentionally or not.

William DuVall sounds right at home and has some great vocal harmony work with Cantrell already after only four tracks. But he also has more of a classic rock sound to his voice, which was always present in his stuff with Comes With The Fall, but it defo adds something to the classic Alice sound.

Lyrically it seems both quite retrospective, unsuprisingly enough, and quite positive. Maybe not as happy and positive as the vibe on Pearl Jam's Backspacer, but pretty positive for an AIC album.

It brings to mind some stuff off of Dirt at times, Angry Chair in particular, as well as nods toward Jar Of Flies and Facelift, but an interesting vibe that I am getting off of some of the guitar work is that of a Lynyrd Skynyrd slant, whom oddily I bought the new album of today as well.

Damn I am typing slowly today because we are now into track six:D

Early signs are saying that Alice In Chains are back in business, and methinks that anyone out there that loved their music will find this album a very easy listen.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Can't wait to get this! Preordered it on CDWow for like 7 euro, which means I'll be getting in a month probably... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Kess73 wrote: »
    Picked this up about 90 mins ago, and it is getting it's first listen as I type. Am currently on the fourth track "Your Decision" and am liking what I hear.

is it available in "real" shops today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Gives_Way_to_Blue
    Black Gives Way to Blue is the upcoming fourth studio album by the American rock band Alice in Chains, which is due for release on September 29, 2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

chin_grin wrote: »

if is referring to America (the 29th being tuesday) - then you count back to the previous Friday for Ireland. I would say it is available today - I just want to be sure before i go hopping on any buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I've had it repeating all morning here. I'm very impressed.

DuVall's vocals really hit the mark for me. I'm not going to make any comparison between his and Layne's vocals as I wanted to listen to them for what they are and not in another mans shadow.

Some great songs in there, at the moment tracks 2 and 3 are standing out for me. Not so sure about some other tracks though, the opener for instance is somewhat weak.

Overall I'm liking it. :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, my apologies. That happened with Downs third album. Was out a few days before the release (I just happened to be in HMV and counting it down).

Have to say I've only heard the singles of this. "A looking in view" I think is very sludgy and heavy, but goes on far too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

if is referring to America (the 29th being tuesday) - then you count back to the previous Friday for Ireland. I would say it is available today - I just want to be sure before i go hopping on any buses.

Irish release date was this morning. HMV, Tower etc all have it now.

chin_grin wrote: »

Irish cd release dates are always the Friday before the UK Monday release date, and generally four to five days before the US release date.

Into my second listen now, and it is an album that I think will reward over time.

I think it and Backspacer are two very contrasting albums ,from bands from a similar era, but while Backspacer is by far the more immediate of the two, BGWTB will not disappoint those that want to invest time in listening to it.

Backspacer is the driving in your car singing along like a loon album, and Black Gives Way To Blue feels more like a sitting at home in a melancholy mood type of album.

Interesting that both albums end on a very similar note though, soundwise. The last tracks on both being an aching love song in their own right, in memory of Layne in the case of BGWTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

loving it... so far so good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭IanMc666

They played the new stuff pretty well at Marlay Park this year, am dying to hear the album as a whole. Must get it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Gonna see em live on Tuesday.

Looking forward to it, should be a good one!

Gave it another whirl this morning in the car, and it just keeps sounding better and better.

This has been a really good month release wise for me, and next month is looking like it will be quite decent also.

As for AIC, I can only say to those who are mulling over getting it, to go out and pick it up asap. Those who are long term fans will love it as it has plenty of nods to the old days as well as sounding fresh, and those who have only picked up on AIC through seeing them live in recent years will love this too as there are better tracks on the album than what they played live in the last year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Going into town today to get this cant wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Gonna grab this later on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Listened to the album, great in places but the songs drag i find. The title track though is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

I can't get enough of this album really impressed with it, the only problem i would have is owl DyVall didn't get enough of the mic!! but Jerry is class and did write all the lyric's, Black give's way the title track is very touching tought i would've sucked with elton john on it but i really love this song, seemly Jerry had a hard time recording this song as its his good bye to Mr Staley and suffered right through the writing and recording because he was only greiving after all these years!!! Kinney was having panic attacks also, this ablum gets 9/10, get these fu@ks to dublin again!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

The first track has grown to be one of my favourite on the album having initially thought it was a bit of a weak one.
    "Time, time to start living". Some great lyrics in the first one.

It's funny the way many were trashing the fact that they'd gotten back together and brought in William DuVall from CWTF etc etc and now peoples are saying he doesn't get enough time on the stick!

Great album all around though. I love the sludgy guitars that kick in on Acid Bubble, once it did I got a tingly in my spine and thought "They're baaaaaccck".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm really impressed. I didn't think I'd listen to it much but it's really good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Had to buy this off itunes,was sold out everywhere in the city yesterday :O.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

shut up all of you...i havent got it yet....

Just finished listening to it,what a great album really enjoyed listening to it,off to listen to it again :pac:.

just youtubed it there.

wow.

Im really so impressed witht his album. Its really really good. So refreshing to see a band that understands A SONG. Rather than their own egos. Great stuff, so glad to see em back.

Now come to ****in dublin yis pricks!!

Was listening to it again this evening in the car and it got me thinking about their next album. Yes this album is out a few days and I am already going on about the next album.

My line of thought was that this album is pretty much the old band members voicing their thoughts/feelings etc about Layne and maybe getting some musical closure. So the next album should be a truer reflection on what this line up is about, especially after touring this album and gelling some more.

Now come to ****in dublin yis pricks!!

Eh, they supported Metallica in Marley Park this year! And were the best band of the day to be honest! :pac:

Ah yeah but a headlining slot would be nice too, look at all the UK gigs they're doing sure and not a sniff of an Irish show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Have bought tickets for the Brum gig 13th of November, bring it on!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I saw them play in the Moore Theatre in Seattle there on Thursday, the new stuff is sounding great live. Jerry played 'Black Gives Way to Blue' solo, and it was awesome. I've been listening to the album since I came home and I can't wait to see them back here.

Yeah he played it along next to an empty stool and a mic/mic stand and a spotlight on the chair I saw. He was apparently fairly emotional after it, really nice tribute though.

Going to the Manchester gig myself, should be deadly!

Anyone a fan of William's band Comes With The Fall out of interest?

• Advertisement

Richy06 wrote: »
    Ah yeah but a headlining slot would be nice too, look at all the UK gigs they're doing sure and not a sniff of an Irish show.

this.

support slots are ****e, they should get a full show and proper time/ SOUNDCHECKS!!

Advertisement