Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to remote varnish from concrete

Options
  • 25-09-2009 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I spilt some varnish on my concrete driveway. Anyone know how I can get it off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

well, physically, by sanding/brushing is one way.

cellulose thinners is another.

nitromors paint remover is another.

it is worth trying th powerwasher too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Blowtorch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

You could also try making up a "poultice" of caustic soda (mix caustic soda granules with some fullers earth cat litter) add a little water and apply it to the area. Leave it for a while, should soften it enough to allow you to lift it/ scrub it off with water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I've a Karcher powerwasher with a lance for cleaning paths/driveways and it blasts EVERYTHING off the paths, i.e. spilt paint, oil, grease, moss etc etc. No elbow grease required at all.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

Varnish is oil based and while it appear stuck to the concrete that will not last as soon as the concrete gets wet the water will travel under the varnish and it will lift off all by itself.

Worst thing you can do is use any product that may soften the varnish causing it to spread because the thinner the varnish becomes the deeper it can go into the porous surface of the concrete.

If it's a nuisance I would go with Prosperous Dave's method and if not just leave for a while you will see the edges loosen and pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

You could try some brush softener then clean the area with water

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

I've a Karcher powerwasher with a lance for cleaning paths/driveways and it blasts EVERYTHING off the paths, i.e. spilt paint, oil, grease, moss etc etc. No elbow grease required at all.:D

Hey again Dave!

Now my attic is insulated I'm looking to sort the brickwork at the outside of my house. Basically the previous owners did a manky job painting the pointing between the bricks and it looks awful. It's like a kid did it with a marker.

What model Karcher do you have and do you think it would be powerful enough to take off what looks like oil based paint that has been there about 20 years. All help appreciated as I want to sort this out without using the words "wire" and "brush".

Sorry if I'm taking this off thread but this job needs to be done.

Advertisement