Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science through Arts

Options
  • 25-09-2009 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi
    can anyone tell me what computer science modules are studied in years 2 and 3 if I register for the arts omnibus degree (DN012). Ideally I'd like to take a single major in computer science or joint major with economics. Has anyone combined these 2 subjects any opinions on the courses would be useful.
    Mick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

mickmac76 wrote: »
    Hi
    can anyone tell me what computer science modules are studied in years 2 and 3 if I register for the arts omnibus degree (DN012). Ideally I'd like to take a single major in computer science or joint major with economics. Has anyone combined these 2 subjects any opinions on the courses would be useful.
    Mick.

I'm BA single major Stage 3.. I'l get back to you with a reply when I get a chance! (reflective of the course!)

I have a friend doing a Joint Major with Economics in Stage 3 too so I'l get some input from him too

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Sachor

Details of all modules offered in either joint major comp science or single major comp science can be found here
    https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/w_sm_web_inf_viewer_banner.program_list?p_website_mode=CONTINUING&p_term_code=200900#bookmarkarts&humansciences

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

thanks sachor thats the sort of site i was looking for. Does anyone know around how many hours a week you'd spend in computer labs in second/third year if I did a single major in computer science?
    Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I did the BSc, it was about 24 hours a week of scheduled lectures and labs when I was in 3rd year. I'd assume it would be similar if you were doing the BA single major.

Excellent thanks for the reply Kirby. Those sort of hours sound managable enough.
    Mick.

• Advertisement

note that its roughly 24 hours of scheduled lectures/labs, you have to remember your gonna be spending a hell of a lot more time than that in there trying to work out assignments and what not which is extrememly time consuming

Yes I'd realised that 24 hours would only be class room based learning etc. but I'm thinking of doing the part time arts degree so I'm just looking for a guideline figure for the number of hours I'd need to be in class. I've no problem putting in the extra hours during my off time. I'm just trying to see how many modules I could really take in a year if I continue to work.
    Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hoffle

Do BA students who are doing a Major in comp sci and a minor in something else have to do 4th year comp sci?

hoffle wrote: »
    Do BA students who are doing a Major in comp sci and a minor in something else have to do 4th year comp sci?

no, you get a level 8 Arts degree at the end of 3rd year, dont see what the difference is between finishing in 3rd instead of 4th year, obviously it would be a slightly better degree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

no, you get a level 8 Arts degree at the end of 3rd year, dont see what the difference is between finishing in 3rd instead of 4th year, obviously it would be a slightly better degree

I think it's an ordinary vs an honours degree?

• Advertisement
Advertisement