Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ortega recalled by Argentina

• 25-09-2009 2:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Surely a sign that Maradona has finally lost it completely. Why call up a 35yr old alcoholic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Melion wrote: »
    Why call up a 35yr old alcoholic?

to keep him company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Sixto Peralta will be next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Mario Kempes is waiting eagerly by the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I remember when Ireland played Argentina in Robbie Keane's first game in Ireland, Ortega looked like he was going to be the best player in the world. Maybe this will pay off like Brazil bringing back Romario for USA 94?

Or it could all blow up in their faces obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Maybe this will pay off like Brazil bringing back Romario for USA 94?

Or it could all blow up in their faces obviously.

with all due respect; is that fence comfortable? ;)

nah, i know what you mean, but i can't see this being a good move in any way, shape or form. it's ludicrous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Batistuta ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Leixlip_Red

In all fairness... it's only for a friendly and he is pickeng a side from all the players based in Argentina. Could be a stroke of genius !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ScholesyIsGod

Even though it's an Argentina based squad of players, calling up a 35 year old who hasn't played international football in 6 years is still a strange one he'd be better off giving one of the younger players playing in Argentina a chance to get some experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Who's next? Sorin? Redondo? Simeone?

Crazy stuff, he had more than enough talent already at his disposal to qualify, this just reeks of desperation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think if Maradona is going pick an all argentina based squad he will learn nothing by bringing back Ortega. Surely giving some new talent a shot is more worthwhile then bringing back a 35 year old with no desire, who will not want to fight for place when it matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I remember years ago wanting Ortega to join Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I remember years ago wanting Ortega to join United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I remember years ago wanting Ortega to join Shelbourne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

I notice 36 (going on 37) year old ex Derby County striker Esteban Fuertes (who made his international debut in May of this year) is also in the squad along with Boca legend Martin Palermo

SlickRic wrote: »
    to keep him company?

:D

It gets lonely at the top boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Here's hoping it works out better than Cannigia's comeback! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Boca legend Martin Palermo

Legend that man, has the worst entry ever in the Guinness book of records :D I would ask them to remove it if it was me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Jaysus Ortega...was wondering what happened to him. Brings back memories of his "chin-butt" on Van Der Sar at WC 1998.....and Bergkamps quite frankly unbelievable winning goal moments later.

Jaysus Ortega...was wondering what happened to him. Brings back memories of his "chin-butt" on Van Der Sar at WC 1998.....and Bergkamps quite frankly unbelievable winning goal moments later.

I miss Denis, god he was a super player. Some unreal goals, matrix like! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Maybe this is what got Ortega back in...

Higuaín has also been given a last minute call up after Lisandro López was injured. About fúcking time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement