Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My favourite snes games from 10 to 1

Options
  • 25-09-2009 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

10.Super castlevania 4(although I prefered cas 2 on the nes,and symphony of the night on the ps is the best cas ever)

9.Super Ghouls and Ghosts

8.Super Mario World

7.super probotector

6.Prinse of persia

5.Super Metroid

4.Chronotrigger

3.Final fantasy 6(3 in the states)

2.Zelda 3

1.Shadow run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

No StreetFighter on your list so there for you Fail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Agreed with most of them up until number 2 and number 1!! Metroid would be higher for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say it's a great list. And street fighter should be played in the arcade not on the SNES :P

Here's mine off the top of my head:

10. Axelay

9. Yoshi's Island

8. Demon's Crest

7. Earthbound

6. Assault Suit Valkens

5. Chrono Trigger

4. Super Mario World

3. Final Fantasy 6

2. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

1. Super Metroid

There's plenty of games I haven't played on the SNES that I'm sure are contenders like Lufia 2, Shin Megami Tensei, the Soul Blazer trilogy by Quintet and I've only started secret of mana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

No StreetFighter on your list so there for you Fail

I don't particularly like beat em up games although I was good at street fight 2, but its my list, my opinion so I can write what I like, Prince of persia and shadow run are such underrated games.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    2. Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening

1. Super Metroid

I've only started secret of mana.

Do you mean link to the past or are we talkin gameboy player?!

Agree with number 1.

Secret of Mana is amazing, would be in my top ten for sure. Last boss is a bitch though :pac:

• Advertisement

I'd say it's a great list. And street fighter should be played in the arcade not on the SNES :P

Here's mine off the top of my head:

10. Axelay

9. Yoshi's Island

8. Demon's Crest

7. Earthbound

6. Assault Suit Valkens

5. Chrono Trigger

4. Super Mario World

3. Final Fantasy 6

2. Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening

1. Super Metroid

There's plenty of games I haven't played on the SNEs that I'm sure are contenders like Lufia 2, the Soul Blazer trilogy by Quintet and I've only started secret of mana.

No secret of mana , thats a surprise. Links awaking is the GB title,you mean a link to the past right?

No secret of mana , thats a surprise. Links awaking is the GB title,you mean a link to the past right?

missed the end of your post, have you played prince of persia and shadow run

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just editted that zelda typo :)

There's no secret of mana because I've only recently gotten around to playing it and giving it a good go. I think it's aged quite a bit but is still an excellent game but not top 10 material for me. Then again I've only played 5 hours of it.
    missed the end of your post, have you played prince of persia and shadow run

I haven't played Shadowrun but it's on my to do list since it's supposed to be excellent. Prince of Persia is indeed a classic but I normally associate it with the PC version not the Snes version which I haven't played.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Secret of Mana is the buggiest, messiest, most dumbed-down action RPG you will LOVE LIKE YOUR OWN CHILDREN.

Make sure you play the ROM version that adds in loads of extra text (or play the German version :D)

The reason I like Shadow run so much is that is was so ahead of its time, you had to save up money to upgrade weapons and armour and also magic spells, you also got karma points to upgrade, things like leadership,chrissma, stregth, body, magic etc.You had to hack into computers and hire other mercenarys some were better with guns, some were better with magic, the atmosphere, everything about this games was class

Prince of persia on the snes, was a classic because of the puzzle element and level design. I probably have it too high on the list but it def top 10 for me

• Advertisement

ok I edited my original list a bit now

Alien 3 is another that deserves a mention too, its very like Super Metroid but I think because the game areas look similar throughout the wholegame put people off a bit

Here is prince of persia on the snes, what I like about was the skill it required and the puzzles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbkANEjSLq4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

The Donkey Kong Country games? They where amazing at the time.

Oh god no. The donkey kong country games were slightly above average platformers hiding behind excellent graphics for their time that now look awful.

Loved Super Castlevania as well. I liked Simons Quest but I got horribly stuck due to how awful the clues were handled in the game. It's literally impossible without a walkthrough. Still prefer Castlevania 3 and Rondo of Blood of the traditional 2D Cv games.

If anyone likes Super Metroid they need to play demons crest. It's a brilliant and gorgeous looking game let down a bit by the lack of a battery save system but is brilliant none the less (and modern emulators have save points in case you don't have time for a 6 hour marathon session).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

No mario kart or rock n roll racing......

Meh. I like mario kart but don't love it as much as most people. I wouldn't put it in my top 10 with the huge amount of quality on the SNES. Perhaps it's because when I was younger I was too busy playing mega bomberman and the j cart enabled micro machines 2 on the megadrive with friends and didn't get to play a snes that much and missed out on the buzz. I only really started getting into mario kart for MK64 with some crazy multiplayer sessions on that but it certainly wasn't the best of the series.

Haven't really played rock n' roll but it's good but hardly top 10 material. It's no F-zero in singleplayer.

Catlevania:Symphony of the night on the PS one is the best castlevania ever bcause of the rpg element

You played micro machines instead of Mario Kart? You sir, really need to take a long look in the mirror!

Rock n Roll racing had the most epic soundtrack EVER :D

• Advertisement

I'm sorry, my parents got me a megadrive despite asking for a snes when I was younger :(

I agree that Symphony of the night is the best castlevania by miles because of the metroid exploration elements but there's a lot more to that game that made it superb as a whole. I have a soft spot though for the old linear games but would never rank rondo of blood or castlevania 3 over Symphony.

I'm sorry, my parents got me a megadrive despite asking for a snes when I was younger :(

I agree that Symphony of the night is the best castlevania by miles because of the metroid exploration elements but there's a lot more to that game that made it superb as a whole. I have a soft spot though for the old linear games but would never rank rondo of blood or castlevania 3 over Symphony.

I agree, the games these days have lost something that the games of yesterday had, I mean thats why I like simons quest so much. I also prefer the older resident evil games 1 and 2 over RE4 even though that is supposed to be one of the best games ever made.maybe its just my nostalgia talking

You should check this out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

um, Super Mario Kart? still the best in the series
    zombies ate my neighbours needs to be in there too
    Super R-Type is a personal fave
    I liked Killer Instinct too

Super R-type can **** off and take a long walk off a short pier. I love R-type 2 but super r-type removes the mid level checkpoints and turns a fantastic and challenging game into the gaming equivalent of an unbearable ****. R-type 3 makes a mockery of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,990 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Rock n' Roll racing does not deserve to be mentioned. It's a very mediocre game that was only made slightly interesting by the music. Which has a grand total of six songs. (You'll notice it looping very very quickly) One used as the title music. Stay clear.

Oh and the controls are awful too. Micro Machines wins hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I feel your pain man, I feel your pain. Just last week I finished Super Mario World for the FIRST time. It feels like showing up to a party so late that the building it was held in has since been demolished and most of the people who where at it are dead now.

Also, reminded me of this:

540837405_nK8hG-L-2.jpg

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I feel your pain man, I feel your pain. Just last week I finished Super Mario World for the FIRST time. It feels like showing up to a party so late that the building it was held in has since been demolished and most of the people who where at it are dead now.

You haven't finished it until you get all 96 exits :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Super R-type can **** off and take a long walk off a short pier. I love R-type 2 but super r-type removes the mid level checkpoints and turns a fantastic and challenging game into the gaming equivalent of an unbearable ****.

n00b

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I agree, the games these days have lost something that the games of yesterday had, I mean thats why I like simons quest so much. I also prefer the older resident evil games 1 and 2 over RE4 even though that is supposed to be one of the best games ever made.maybe its just my nostalgia talking

Nah, you're right. I've been complaining about this gen (handhelds excluded) in the retro forum.

Advertisement