Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodcarving

Options
  • 25-09-2009 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭

Lads I wanted to try my hand at handcarving, something small like a little figureen but I was wondering whats the best timber to use for handcarving ??

21/25

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

One of the traditional timbers is Lime, google Grinling Gibbons for lots more historical info.

Edit> Sorry should have said Limewood, Lime-wood, Basswood or for the Gardeners and Arborists that would be Tillia spp.

Main reason for using the timber from the Lime tree is that it is quite a soft wood to carve and can hold the detail. Lots of other timbers are as good but a lot harder to work and harder on the tools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilia picture halfway down the page says it all

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, wood from the Lime tree also known as the Linden in Europe and Basswood in the US. Not to be confused with the wood of the citrus fruit of the same name. It's main advantage is that it is quite soft and has very little grain.

Advertisement