Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Wacon tablet for a product designer

Options
  • 25-09-2009 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, Im a product design student in my final year, I use photoshop and other design software such as C4D, rhino and solid works and was just wondering if this tablet in Aldi is worth it or would you guys recommend something better for my money. Thanks.

http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_10573.htm

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well it's a Wacom...
    but it's only 147.6 × 92.5mm
    This slightly bigger A6 (148 × 105) one is similarily priced:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=340975&view=detailed#ProductTabs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thanks, that one looks better alright. What size would people generally use? A6 seems a little small if your used to working on A3 and A4 paper. I know Wacom is a good brand and as such I have stayed away from anything else I have seen.

Would you recommend the one in the above link for say making A2/A3 posters in photoshop and the likes?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Thanks, that one looks better alright. What size would people generally use? A6 seems a little small if your used to working on A3 and A4 paper. I know Wacom is a good brand and as such I have stayed away from anything else I have seen.

Would you recommend the one in the above link for say making A2/A3 posters in photoshop and the likes?

Well for the most part you'll have to zoom in to do fine details anyway.
    A6 is a bit on the small side but it is certainly very usable. The pressure sensitivity alone makes it worthwhile.

I'm a lefty so I have my (A6) tablet on the left and my mouse on the right and change back and forth a good bit.

Im lefty aswell so that setup would so me aswel. Tablet - Keyboard - Mouse. I think Ill leave the Aldi one and just get the komplett one. Thanks for the help.

Ok, Ive decided to bite the bullet and go for an Intuos4. Now the next big decision is the size. I was about to place my order for the Medium but I thought I should double check first if that is what would suit me. Ill mainly be using it for Photoshop, Illustrator and similar. I also may end up using it in Solidworks and similar 3d CAD packages.

Which size would you recomend?

• Advertisement

Ok let me rephrase the question in case the reason no on ewas replying was because they didnt get what I was asking.

I have decided Im going to buy a Wacom Intuos. I would like a recommendation between the Large and the Medium. I would love a Cintiq but cant afford that much.

I will mainly be using it for creating logos, large format posters (A2, A3), renderings of products, and possibly for 3d modelling packages, sketching and colouring my sketches.

I use a 20" widescreen at the moment and in the future I may be getting either a second screen or a bigger screen, I will also be getting a 17" notebook (Dell Predision M6400 covet or similar) next year to do work on.

Which would you recommend?

I am hoping to order this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Well Ive being looking to pick one up soon meself have never gone through with it though, Im in no way a designer or anything at this stage but would like to get into it, Ive used photoshop and the likes when I was younger but never really carried through with it, but looking to get back into it just as a hobby for the time being.

Anyway onto the size thing, you have to remember that youll never be working at a default 100% zoom with the likes of these programs, youll always be zooming in on huge pixel documents to get the fine details down so the size isnt as big an issue as you think.

I will probably be getting the medium one when i do decide to get one just because I know ill never need the extra size when zoomed in, also be lighter and easier to manage when drawing from the lap etc. With the bigger one it wont be as comfortable to move around and you may be restricted to working on a static surface like a desk.

Though this is all personal preference, do you normally work at default zoom level, do you use big long sweeping lines, do you like to have the mobility to be able to move around the tablet easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭emmetcummins

Instead of getting the dell notenook, get a tablet pc. You can get ASUS all in one tablet desktops or Toshiba Tablet PCs that use Wacom drivers

Advertisement