Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing more memory?

Options
  • 25-09-2009 3:56pm

My sister has a Dell Optiplex GX260. It only has 256mb of RAM but has a 2.4Ghz Processor. I want to install more memory. I went to Crucial's website and it told me:

"Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot"

I searched eBay and found this.

I just want to ask is this the correct memory? Also will I need to take out the old memory (the 256mb) first and replace it with the 1gb or can I put the new memory in in addition to the old memory?

Thanks for any help as its my first time attempting this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I did the same thing as you, I just installed my new RAM earlier :D. This is the thread I created, there might be some information useful for you http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055686799

What I ended up doing was I opened up the case and checked the brand/model of my motherboard. I then searched for it's specifications and found out that it only takes a maximum of 512MB per memory slot. I was originally planning to buy two 1GB sticks so it's a good thing I did what I did.

If you want to keep the old RAM, I think you need another one of the same size i.e. 256MB and at the same speed i.e. PC2700

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

For the price you're better off buying two 1gb sticks, it'll make a huge difference to the pc. I'm not sure that there's any problem with putting the old stick in a spare slot, I've had sticks of different sizes in older PCs but I think the newer ones need a pair of ram modules of the same size.

Advertisement