Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New 2 year contract for Trap

• 25-09-2009 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭

On SSN now.

Thoughts?

Tardelli also signs a 2 year contract to see them both till 2012

press conference on SSN now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I would have at least waited until after the play offs to see if an extension was warranted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I suppose going on his results so far you cant really argue, we are in a good position to make at least the qualifiers and could make the Final.

Although if it was up to me I would have only offered the contratc pending the outcome of this campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Can't really argue tbh.

At this point in time, we couldn't really have asked to be in a much better position for qualifying.

This might give a nice boost to the camp and pick things up a notch going into these two massive games.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

He has earned it, but seems a bit pre-mature

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ScholesyIsGod

I would have waited until after the qualifation campaign is finished before giving him a new contract but thats not how the FAI do things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

why was it offered now? he's not achieved anything yet.

ugh.

such a backwards lot those FAI amateurs.

AndyReid_1863503.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Well at least now if we win the WC, we'll have him at the cheaper recessionary rate.

Good thinking FAI, I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I would have at least waited until after the play offs to see if an extension was warranted.
    Same as that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think it's about time we stopped sacking managers after a single campaign (Stan is the exception of course). A bit of stability is what's needed and even though I don't like Traps squad choices, we are in a great position which we definitely would have taken at the start of the campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Yeah a bit of stability I think is needed. We are in a very good position that we have not found ourselves in many years. As much as there is controversy and arguments of Traps tactics and team selections, he is just about getting the results and thats all that matters really at the end of the day. Also, the players seem to be right behind him and have alot of respect for him.

Would also give the players more confidence I think too, and I think he is the right man for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Wish they waited until after the f***ing play-offs. I'm unsure about him, he has been more lucky rather than particularly good. I'd even say we've won a lot of games in spite of his tactics. And that's not even mentioning his squad selection is well below par!

Sorry if this has upset the sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What a stupid decision.

I seem to recall the IRFU did the very same thing with Eddie O'Sullivan before the Rugby World Cup in 2007, extending his contract to 2012 and it was a disastrous move. The FAI should have waited until the qualifying campaign had finished at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

What a stupid decision.

I seem to recall the IRFU did the very same thing with Eddie O'Sullivan before the Rugby World Cup in 2007, extending his contract to 2012 and it was a disastrous move. The FAI should have waited until the qualifying campaign had finished at least.

I was going to mention exactly the same thing but maybe from a purely business angle it makes sense to secure these contracts before they have actually achieved a major goal. It would give the manager a much stronger position to negotiate on the back of success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Who's paying him I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Des wrote: »
    Who's paying him I wonder.

Fás Course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I wouldnt of minded as much if id seen Andy Reid back in the squad and liam miller getting the fook out of there.:(

Were getting results but some of our displays have been dismal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Right decesion by the FAI who else is there out there who could do what Trappa has done with a pretty average squad in comparion to previous Ireland teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

We are getting the results which should see us get to the play offs but with better performances i feel we could have been top in games it looked like we could have won but only drew.That in itself could warrant a new contract for him but before the group is finished is way too premature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

right let me get this straight, nothing has been achieved yet! we have to endure that sore sight on the eyes for 90 mins! nothing! nothing has been learned! I am just about prepared to watch the dreadful spectacle that is a current International match if there is a successful outcome at the end, but if not, whats the point!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Fantastic news- has everyone forgotten that muppet Stan. Trap is a genius and has done it without that gimp Ireland and Reid made his own bed when he refused to go to it.

It's the best decision the FAI has made in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

Great to see he's staying on. You have to think that if Trapattoni can't do anything with the Irish team well then, who can?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm glad its happened now, as otherwise there would just have been mounds of specualtion leading up the play offs (assuming we dont explode over the next 2 games) with lots of nonsense about them potentially being his last games in charge. This way the team can get on with their business everyone knows where they stand and the football, for better or worse, can take center stage.

It would have been ridiculous to let him go considering we went into these qualifiers as 3rd seeds and we're now on the verge of finishing 2nd barring a complete implosion in our last qualifiers I feel Trapattoni has earned his contract renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

What a stupid decision.

They sure did. But I don't think that's relevant to what's happening here. O'Sullivan had been in charge for 6(ish?) years previous, so depending on how the WC went it might have been time for a change. Hindsight is great and all that.
    Trapp has only been here for 1 and a bit years.

Whether we waited till after qualification or not, Trapp should be given another 2 years. I'd hate to go back to square 1. And who'd we get?

We've clearly progressed, it might not be the prettiest, but we're heading in the right direction.

johnp wrote: »
    They sure did. But I don't think that's relevant to what's happening here. O'Sullivan had been in charge for 6(ish?) years previous, so depending on how the WC went it might have been time for a change. Hindsight is great and all that.
    Trapp has only been here for 1 and a bit years.

Whether we waited till after qualification or not, Trapp should be given another 2 years. I'd hate to go back to square 1. And who'd we get?

We've clearly progressed, it might not be the prettiest, but we're heading in the right direction.

I agree we are heading in the right direction but the point is we haven't got there yet.

You don't give the taxi driver the fare until he drops you off at the right destination. Doesn't matter if you're going the right way or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You don't give the taxi driver the fare until he drops you off at the right destination. Doesn't matter if you're going the right way or not.
    When the last taxi man was reversing the wrong way down a one way street in the wrong city though, and the current taxi man has been driving taxis for thirty years, and you don't even know who will be driving the next taxi, you sometimes just need to say to yourself "If this guy drops me even a couple of doors from my house, I'll tell him to wait there for me until I want to go out again". You'd make him your chauffeur.

I agree we are heading in the right direction but the point is we haven't got there yet.

But you pay for your bus/train/plane ticket before you get there?! Guess we could come up load a load of analogies. :D

Is 2 years enough to make that decision, considering the progress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

the question is though, if we dont get through the play offs, would we have been letting the deal lapse? I'm sure everyone would have taken getting into the play offs back when he was appointed. So while we have not reached the ideal destination yet, we may have already passed the required target needed to make this decision.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    the question is though, if we dont get through the play offs, would we have been letting the deal lapse? I'm sure everyone would have taken getting into the play offs back when he was appointed. So while we have not reached the ideal destination yet, we may have already passed the intended target needed to make this decision.

Exactly what I'm thinking.
    Before we kicked off, we were in a very tough group. Now we're 2nd and barring a complete disaster, will finish 2nd fairly comfortably. That is a fantastic result considering the dross we've had over the last couple of years.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    When the last taxi man was reversing the wrong way down a one way street in the wrong city though, and the current taxi man has been driving taxis for thirty years, and you don't even know who will be driving the next taxi, you sometimes just need to say to yourself "If this guy drops me even a couple of doors from my house, I'll tell him to wait there for me until I want to go out again". You'd make him your chauffeur.

Nicely put and I take your point. :) My concern is just that the driver with the thirty years worth of experience hasn't got the eyesight that he used to, and might in fact potetnially drive us off of a cliff. In such a scenario are we really better off than with the crappy driver beforehand?

My take on things is that Trap will have earned a contract if he makes it to the play-offs. However I wouldn't rule out the possibility of an ugly collapse before then, and I think if that were to happen, bearing in mind where we are, he would not then warrant a contract extension. If he makes it to the play-offs, grand. I would support rewarding him for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

One of the few good moves the FAI has made in the last few years.

Realistically, we're not going to do better than Trap. Securing him now ensures that if we reach any level of success at the Finals, we have the manager in place for the next campaign.

Alot of Clubs use the World Cup as the shop window for their next manager. It would have been idiotic to not have a deal done by that stage. Getting it done now also forgoes all the nonsense that would distract from the playoffs. Remember all the fuss with Brian Kerr leading into his final games? Totally disrupted preparations imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/sep/25/giovanni-trapattoni-ireland-contract

Giovanni Trapattoni, has agreed to remain as the Republic of Ireland coach for another two years.

The 70-year-old Italian, whose existing deal was due to expire after the World Cup next summer, has agreed a two-year contract extension with the Football Association of Ireland, which will take him through to 2012.

Trapattoni said: "I am delighted to continue my job with the FAI. This squad has huge potential.

"Our results demonstrate what self-belief and structure can achieve and I am really looking forward to continuing the work we have begun."

Can understand why they've done it. Can't say i'm thrilled though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Has anyone seen a game were Ireland have played well under trap I can't remember one .. !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'm happy with Trap at the moment.

After the World Cup is a different story, that is if we make it. Only because of his age.

Has anyone seen a game were Ireland have played well under trap I can't remember one .. !!!

and yet we're 2nd (as good as ours barring a f*ck up) in the group and with a remote chance of even winning it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I'm happy with Trap at the moment.

After the World Cup is a different story, that is if we make it. Only because of his age.

Trap's age is not an issue. He looks fitter than most 50 year old managers. Whilst our performances have been poor Trap has got the results. Getting to the playoffs is a job well done and he certainly does deserve a new contract.

Does everyone forget the managers we were linked with last time. Paul Jewell? He's available now :eek:

and yet we're 2nd (as good as ours barring a f*ck up) in the group and with a remote chance of even winning it.
    didnt say anythin about that , chelsea won the league few years ago and played boring ****e all season

didnt say anythin about that , chelsea won the league few years ago and played boring ****e all season

No bother just saying I'd rather play sh*te and qualify for something than play like Brazil and qualify for f*ck all.

No bother just saying I'd rather play sh*te and qualify for something than play like Brazil and qualify for f*ck all.
    oh id love the see them go to south africa too, but think he could have got them playin better football and we might have got top spot instead of italy

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

oh id love the see them go to south africa too, but think he could have got them playin better football and we might have got top spot instead of italy
    Or we might have won nothing and be last in the qualifying group, 'tis all speculation

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Fantastic news. The man deserves the freedom of Ireland if he get's this squad of players to the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

LZ5by5 wrote: »

Its warranted now. After all, hasnt he improved them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I don't understand all this 'wait til after the playoffs' talk, there's been plenty of games to judge him on and if the FAI deem him to be good enough for the national team,they should know by now.

If Ireland lost in the playoffs to a 95th minute 'dodgy' penalty, or a terrible refereeing decision, should he be sacked?

Personally,i'd prefer for them to gamble on someone else(I know there isn't exactly a long list of candidates) because Irish International matches have become excrutiatingly painful to watch,but if the FAI want him a couple of more games won't and shouldn't change their mind.

I don't understand all this 'wait til after the playoffs' talk, there's been plenty of games to judge him on and if the FAI deem him to be good enough for the national team,they should know by now.

If Ireland lost in the playoffs to a 95th minute 'dodgy' penalty, or a terrible refereeing decision, should he be sacked?

No, if he makes the play-offs he will have done well and earned the contract.

But let's suppose for a moment we are comfortably beaten by Italy, and against Montenegro we go 1-0 down thanks to a Glenn Whelan Own Goal. Now we are crying out for a creative spark, something to get us back in the match, and Trap decides to look to his bench - he throws on Liam Miller and Leon Best.

We lose the game 1-0 and miss out on the play-offs...so then, should he have got the contract extension? What say you?

But let's suppose for a moment we are comfortably beaten by Italy, and against Montenegro we go 1-0 down thanks to a Glenn Whelan Own Goal. Now we are crying out for a creative spark, something to get us back in the match, and Trap decides to look to his bench - he throws on Liam Miller and Leon Best.

We lose the game 1-0 and miss out on the play-offs...so then, should he have got the contract extension? What say you?

I'm basing my comments on Ireland making the playoffs,I believe the FAI have done the same.

I'm basing my comments on Ireland making the playoffs,I believe the FAI have done the same.

But why couldn't we award the contract after officially making the play-offs?

But why couldn't we award the contract after officially making the play-offs?

You do have a point there to be fair.

What I really should have said was that if Trap got Ireland to the playoffs then that's a result and there'd be no need to wait and see if they qualified or not.

I say he deserves the contract. He's done enough in the campaign to show that we're getting more and better results than before. That's progress.

Are we going to look for a new manager every two years if we don't qualify?

You do have a point there to be fair.

What I really should have said was that if Trap got Ireland to the playoffs then that's a result and there'd be no need to wait and see if they qualified or not.

I'd agree with that.
    johnp wrote:
    I say he deserves the contract. He's done enough in the campaign to show that we're getting more and better results than before. That's progress.

Are we going to look for a new manager every two years if we don't qualify?

I think the jury's still out. Is he getting the most out of his resources? Well the general concensus is that he's not picking the best players. Have his results been on merit or good fortune? Consider the home game to Cyprus where Gibson and Whelan disappeared and Richard Dunne had to play out of his skin to stop Cyprus from equalising. Or how about the penalty that shouldn't have been at home against Georgia that helped us take all 3 points. Let's not forget the recent awful performance away to Cyprus which the result has helped gloss over.

In fact the only game I've been truly impressed with was the away game to Italy and that was mostly against 10 men.

It's a results business and if he gets us to the play-offs I won't begrudge the extension but let's not rewrite history here. Some of our performances have been truly dire and the player selection policy has been poor. He hasn't proven anything yet as far as I can see and until he does then I don't see why we should rush to pat him on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I don't understand all this 'wait til after the playoffs' talk,

Why pay someone for another 2 years when they have failed to get us to the world cup when seeing as this group panned out we should have topped.

and if the FAI deem him to be good enough for the national team,they should know by now.

The FAI,deem,should know in the same sentence ? Seriously we are not dealing with people who actually know what they are doing ya know.

:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement