Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New 2 year contract for Trap

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Has anyone seen a game were Ireland have played well under trap I can't remember one .. !!!

playing well me hole

results is the name of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

d22ontour wrote: »

The FAI,deem,should know in the same sentence ? Seriously we are not dealing with people who actually know what they are doing ya know.

I't's got feck all to do with yours or my opinions of the FAI,they have the authority and will do as they wish when they wish.
    They figure he warrants another 2 years,he gets it.Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

From the FAI site:
    The Football Association of Ireland today (September 25) announced a new two year contract with Giovanni Trapattoni. The new agreement will extend from the current 2010 World Cup campaign to cover the Euro 2012 campaign and will be part funded thanks to the generous contribution of Denis O’Brien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Far from being excited that Trapattoni is getting 2 more years, that we are doing well in our group and could well qualify for South Africa , my interest in the Irish national team is still asleep , following the Stauntan mess - every time I see John Delaney , its like watching Brian Cowens political brother - how I wish back to the distant exciting times in Irish international footballl -

the continued exclusion of Andy Reid and Steven Ireland just adds to my gloom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

thebaz wrote: »
    Far from being excited that Trapattoni is getting 2 more years, that we are doing well in our group and could well qualify for South Africa , my interest in the Irish national team is still asleep , following the Stauntan mess - every time I see John Delaney , its like watching Brian Cowens political brother - how I wish back to the distant exciting times in Irish international footballl -

the continued exclusion of Andy Reid and Steven Ireland just adds to my gloom

Self exclusion in Mr Ireland's case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Des wrote: »
    playing well me hole

results is the name of the game
    from what ive read on other threads ur a manager yourself , do you not agree that the matches they've played in have been boring to watch ???
    oh id love the see them go to south africa too, but think he could have got them playin better football and we might have got top spot instead of italy
    that wat i said when asked same sort of question, dont get me wrong getting points on the table is more important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

This thread sums up the problem with most "Irish" football fans. Since the a huge % of them support Liverpool, United or Chelsea they just can't seem to judge an Irish team for what they. Since they see there teams winning nearly weak in and weak out while there team dominates the game they seem to think that's a god given right they deserve with Ireland. They just can't seem to get it through there thick skulls that getting Glenn Whelan & Mark Andrews to play like Mascherano, Carrick or Essien isn't possible.

While I think Andy reid is deserving of a place in the sqaud NOW it's certainly not a reason to not give Trap a new contract. It's only until 2 games left in the campaign that he's starting to look like a proffesional footballers rather then a proffessional pie eater. If he still doesn't bring him back, I'll take Trap view that it's better for the overall benefit of the squad. Not every manager is perfect and makes no mistakes.

Also, even including Mr. Nice guys sceneraio of losing badly to Italy and losing to Montegro Trap would of done a brilliant job. Cyprus, Bulgaria and Monteragro are far better footballing sides then us. If they had Given, Keane and Dunne in theirs teams they'd be walking this group and out of sight already. For us to get this close to not only reaching a play-off but to top the group is a massive achievement. The majority of our players play for teams who'll be fighting relegation this year, that says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

This thread sums up the problem with most "Irish" football fans. Since the a huge % of them support Liverpool, United or Chelsea they just can't seem to judge an Irish team for what they. Since they see there teams winning nearly weak in and weak out while there team dominates the game they seem to think that's a god given right they deserve with Ireland. They just can't seem to get it through there thick skulls that getting Glenn Whelan & Mark Andrews to play like Mascherano, Carrick or Essien isn't possible.

While I think Andy reid is deserving of a place in the sqaud NOW it's certainly not a reason to not give Trap a new contract. It's only until 2 games left in the campaign that he's starting to look like a proffesional footballers rather then a proffessional pie eater. If he still doesn't bring him back, I'll take Trap view that it's better for the overall benefit of the squad. Not every manager is perfect and makes no mistakes.

Also, even including Mr. Nice guys sceneraio of losing badly to Italy and losing to Montegro Trap would of done a brilliant job. Cyprus, Bulgaria and Monteragro are far better footballing sides then us. If they had Given, Keane and Dunne in theirs teams they'd be walking this group and out of sight already. For us to get this close to not only reaching a play-off but to top the group is a massive achievement. The majority of our players play for teams who'll be fighting relegation this year, that says it all.
    Mark andrews?? think u mean keith andrews :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Something that bugs me is the fact that Trap attends fcuk all games in the premiership. Compare that to Capello who takes in a game every weekend it seems, albeit he's based in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Aidric wrote: »
    Something that bugs me is the fact that Trap attends fcuk all games in the premiership. Compare that to Capello who takes in a game every weekend it seems, albeit he's based in England.

Probaly watches them on tv.

O Brien is paying some of his wages for the next 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Oh on the contrary I think it's posts like this which sum up why we in this country so often underperform, not just at football but sport in general.

Zero ambition and zero confidence. Plus I find the idea of Cyprus, Bulgaria and Montenegro as being "far better" footballing sides than us to be utterly laughable.

I'm staggered by the sheer arrogance and ignorance of a post like this lambasting people and their "thick skulls" (is that necessary?) for expecting a team with players who get regular playing time in one of the top leagues in the world to be competing for second place in a poor group? Give over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No, if he makes the play-offs he will have done well and earned the contract.

But let's suppose for a moment we are comfortably beaten by Italy, and against Montenegro we go 1-0 down thanks to a Glenn Whelan Own Goal. Now we are crying out for a creative spark, something to get us back in the match, and Trap decides to look to his bench - he throws on Liam Miller and Leon Best.

We lose the game 1-0 and miss out on the play-offs...so then, should he have got the contract extension? What say you?

This is my thinking to an extent. We are still a million miles away from qualfying for anything - anyone saying that any progress below making the Play-Offs would have been acceptable is in cloud cuckoo land. Play-Offs were a minimum requirement given Bulgaria's problems and the cost of the manager in terms of finances and style.

I have no problem in theory with Trap being given a new contact if it puts everyone at ease ahead of the crucial Italy game (I say crucial because I still think us beating Italy with the pressure off and then them drawing to Cyprus is more likely than us beating the likes of France in a Play-off). The pay-off involved if we we had to let him go would be massive but at least O-Brien is helping with some of the costs.

Not making the Play-Offs would make Trap's position untenable, making them will be enough to keep him for another year.

We do have to put up with some negatives, like his callous dropping of our most creative midfielder or the general style of play. We also have to put up with the likes of Liam Miller (how much longer can you be classed a professional footballer if you have no club?) but we also aren't dropping points to Cyprus.

Still, I can't help but feel Trap has been an incredibly lucky manager. Bar the first two games and the last one I feel we have enjoyed a great deal of fortune and theres a general feeling among some that, with a little more progressive thinking, we would be going into the Italy game knowing a win would put us top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Oh on the contrary I think it's posts like this which sum up why we in this country so often underperform, not just at football but sport in general.

Zero ambition and zero confidence. Plus I find the idea of Cyprus, Bulgaria and Montenegro as being "far better" footballing sides than us to be utterly laughable.

I'm staggered by the sheer arrogance and ignorance of a post like this lambasting people and their "thick skulls" (is that necessary?) for expecting a team with players who get regular playing time in one of the top leagues in the world to be competing for second place in a poor group? Give over.

How do you figure it's zero ambition? Our ambition should be to make a run for second place, which trap has done so he performed what was/should of been expected of him. Expecting us to top the group or finish second and anything outside of that is failure is wrong. Zero confidence stems from the poor players we have at our disposal and our previous record in qualifying for the WC/EC.

Probably not necessary, but it is true. The only reason it's a "top" league is because of the big four and we only have 1 player who plays for a big four team, and even then he wouldn't be one of their essential players. As I said most of our players will be spending the year playing off ball trying to avoid relegation. The EPL is constantly shown up for the poor league it is outside the top 4 in the UEFA cup, even when teams bother trying they still get beaten. Villa couldn't even qualify this year.

Utterly laughable? Cyprus played us off the park and technically were far more impressive then we were. We've done well in our group because our tactics, basically we don't have the players to play a passing game as our central midfield is shocking. Andrews or Whelan wouldn't get into Bulgaria, cyprus or Monteragros team. Just because our players play in the premier hoofball league doesn't mean anything really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

I would have to be in the "Glad to be in second place considering the last two campaigns." camp. I mean, I really don't enjoy the style Ireland are playing with at the moment but I am liking the position the team is in, group-wise.

Looking at the qualifying tables as they stand, Ireland are the only second placed team not to have lost a game thus far. Of course that could change at the Italy meeting;)

Has anyone thrown out names of managers who they think could get more out of the current squad than Trapattoni? Venebles? That Belgian (?) oddball who converted to islam and now calls himself Omar? Those were being thrown around last time out. I'd like to know because it's not like I really follow soccer in depth, I just like to support the national team.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

How do you figure it's zero ambition? Our ambition should be to make a run for second place, which trap has done so he performed what was/should of been expected of him. Expecting us to top the group or finish second and anything outside of that is failure is wrong. Zero confidence stems from the poor players we have at our disposal and our previous record in qualifying for the WC/EC.

Probably not necessary, but it is true. The only reason it's a "top" league is because of the big four and we only have 1 player who plays for a big four team, and even then he wouldn't be one of their essential players. As I said most of our players will be spending the year playing off ball trying to avoid relegation. The EPL is constantly shown up for the poor league it is outside the top 4 in the UEFA cup, even when teams bother trying they still get beaten. Villa couldn't even qualify this year.

Utterly laughable? Cyprus played us off the park and technically were far more impressive then we were. We've done well in our group because our tactics, basically we don't have the players to play a passing game as our central midfield is shocking. Andrews or Whelan wouldn't get into Bulgaria, cyprus or Monteragros team. Just because our players play in the premier hoofball league doesn't mean anything really.

I'll tell you how it's zero ambition. Because we haven't played a match in this group that could be regarded as a top drawer performance and yet we are still in pole position for second place. This group has been surprisingly poor with an Italian team at its lowest ebb in a long, long time. Yet, in spite of all this, we Irish fans are supposed to applaud the fact that we are COMPETING for second place? Well whoop-de-doo. Hell that should be a prerequisite with the talent at our disposal! Think that's a ridiculous notion? Well I would point you to the direction of Northern Ireland and Scotland, both of whom have managed in their last two campaigns respectively to compete for tournament qualification. Not only have they competed, they have managed it with, on paper, far more limited resources at their disposal. Yet we're supposed to keep up the "Oh but we're just humble Paddies" charade when the truth is we have talented players, some who can't get a sniff of a chance, who would be regulars for NI and Scotland.

Also, you denounce the Premier League players we have and yet let's look at the teams that you say are, in your words, "far better footballing sides". Cyprus? Well what top leagues do those players ply their trade in? Are APOEL as a result of their latest Champions League adventure suddenly footballing giants. How about Bulgaria? Isn't their star player a certain Mr Berbatov? Has he really had a better start to the season than our own Robbie Keane? Then there's Montenegro - aside from Vucinic these guys don't play at a level to embarrass our lads. I think too your comment about the top 4 teams only mattering is a poor one which doesn't hold water when you consider many England regulars play for teams outside the top four. Robert Green, Gareth Barry, Jermain Defoe etc.

I find it funny you acknowledge Cyprus played us off the park but don't see fit to blame the manager for that, although hilariously you do criticise the likes of Andrews and Whelan whilst failing to acknowledged the chap who is responsible for them being in the team at the expense of others - Trapattoni.

Honestly, come on. We are not as crap as some here like to believe we are. I reiterate, the fact we are odds on for second place despite not producing any top performance says it all about the standard of the opposition we've faced. It truly is a results business as many supporters have decided to erase some of our dismal performances from their memories along with the huge slices of fortune we have encountered along the way.

The truth is a bit different. He has selected poor squads and got great results, many of which were based on massive amounts of luck. See for instance the dodgy penalty vs Georgia, the harsh sending off for Italy in Bari, the woeful goalkeeping by Cyprus and Georgia in their home games.

However we are supposed to ignore all of this and go along with the popular line that Trap has maximised the resources of the piss-poor little Paddies when the reality is he has done anything but.

Thick skulls? No. Opened eyes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement