Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHRISTMAS MADNESS COMES TOO EARLY

Options
  • 25-09-2009 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

I am not a scrooge and love Christmas BUT was in town last week and seen all the decorations for sale already in pennys.
    Went into ivans on the ennis road yesterday and heard Christmas music over the pa system.
    For the last 2 weeks Harvey Normans are advertising on live 95fm for Christmas.
    Is it much to early for this or do you like it.
    I think its a disgrace starting in september because it starts putting pressure on people to spend what they don't have,November is time enough for advertising.
    Are the retaillers just being greedy??
    What are your thoughts on this...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I noticed a Dublin Bus today which had Lapland holidays through Topflight being advertised.

If you were a retailer and you knew that from Christmas to Christmas can be a bleak time especially in a recession the holidays will not come soon enough.

Hotels are all at it too. My colleague is S&S was sitting having tea with me fielding calls from hotels, djs and bands about the upcoming christmas party.

We were in Pennys the other night and Mrs Berty says "lets go and have a look" eyeing up the decorations.

I refused to go over and said I would not go anywhere near it until at least November.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Tesco have selection boxes and christmas themed chocolate on the shelves already, its September ffs! there should be a ban on all Christmas stuff until December 1st being on shop shelves, these days the christmas shopping lasts for 4 months, starts in late Sep/Oct and runs until after Jan sales, thats a third of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Theres obviously a market for it,some people like buying their stuff in a long lead up to christmas,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Your the same people who'd complain about a recession, how there is no credit and how sad it is to see well known shops close?????

They need money in the system to try turn it around! Christmas is the biggest money influx of the entire year so why wouldnt they do this now?

The more we spend the greater we help the system its simple.
    Would you rather not have the decorations in shops now and watch the steady incline of whole streets die as shops close to satify your sensabilities? Do you think the people working in those shops love it? You and I may have to be irritated by the incessent festive music and garrish decorations for an hour or two while we shop but the shop assistant has to get up early to work 8 hours a day with this, as an office worker I am so happy my teenage years are behind me and I dont have to put up with it ever again. So yes it may be irritating to have xmas thrust into the public conciousness this early but every little bit of income helps and I for one will put up with some christmas tunes for the sake of shops trying their best to stay afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

It should be illegal to mention christmas before halloween imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

just put the tree and stockings up. looks great, lights on the outside of the house going up tomorrow. HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

daveob007 wrote: »
    I am not a scrooge and love Christmas BUT was in town last week and seen all the decorations for sale already in pennys.
    Went into ivans on the ennis road yesterday and heard Christmas music over the pa system.
    For the last 2 weeks Harvey Normans are advertising on live 95fm for Christmas.
    Is it much to early for this or do you like it.
    I think its a disgrace starting in september because it starts putting pressure on people to spend what they don't have,November is time enough for advertising.
    Are the retaillers just being greedy??
    What are your thoughts on this...

TOO SOON!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,311 ✭✭✭✭phog

Wouldnt be too keen on seeing the Christmas stuff out on display so early but I suppose it might suit some people to pick up a few items each week and spread the load over the few months rather than a last 3 week rush. Kinda like the old Christmas saving clubs and this way no one can run away with the money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

when I was young(er) many moons ago, I remember Easons used to have the Christmas annuals on sale by mid Sept - is that any different to what happens now? I remember my mother buying school books, copies and pens and I'd be sat down reading all the annuals.

I know someone working in Penneys a few years and apparently they really do sell a lot of christmas stuff at this time of year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

BTs have what looks like half a Christmas tree up in the shop - down by the shoes/handbags/jewellery section - way too soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

In "Jetland" we have Halloween. Costumes, uniforms, candy, and gadgets. From this week, all on 1 November. ;)

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

hightower1 wrote: »
    Your the same people who'd complain about a recession, how there is no credit and how sad it is to see well known shops close?????

They need money in the system to try turn it around! Christmas is the biggest money influx of the entire year so why wouldnt they do this now?

The more we spend the greater we help the system its simple.
    Would you rather not have the decorations in shops now and watch the steady incline of whole streets die as shops close to satify your sensabilities? Do you think the people working in those shops love it? You and I may have to be irritated by the incessent festive music and garrish decorations for an hour or two while we shop but the shop assistant has to get up early to work 8 hours a day with this, as an office worker I am so happy my teenage years are behind me and I dont have to put up with it ever again. So yes it may be irritating to have xmas thrust into the public conciousness this early but every little bit of income helps and I for one will put up with some christmas tunes for the sake of shops trying their best to stay afloat.
    I can see your point on that but the truth is that even during the boom years the retailers were still at it well before november,,it's just greed.
    People will still spread the cost over a few months even without the advertisments but if you look at people with kids who just spent a fortune sending them back to school they need a breather for a while before they are forced to spend again.
    Also by advertising this soon won't make people spend what they don't have.
    My main point was that all types of traders are using Christmas as a excuse to try and sell or provide a service,,i'v seen garages advertising christmas car services,dentists doing whitening for christmas etc.
    The whole thing is gone crazy and should be banned till after halloween at the earliest.

House is done, turned on last night. Some neighbours complained. Scrooges the lot of them! Tis the season!
    xmas_lights_0001_470x336.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

zuroph wrote: »
    House is done, turned on last night. Some neighbours complained. Scrooges the lot of them! Tis the season!
    xmas_lights_0001_470x336.jpg

I thought you were serious for a while! :eek:

I thought you were serious for a while! :eek:
    I am :confused:

Whatever, ebeneezer

this could start a whole new thread tasteful or tacky lighting

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Limerick is full of tacky houses in the run up to christmas, there's some houses that look like they've just been blasted with some sort of xmas decoration bazooka, no style just lights thrown at the house

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Some shops do close to two thirds of their yearly turnover during the three months running up to chirstmas. They are companies, their primary purpose is to make money, as much as possible. People obviously buy the stuff, if they didn't the shops wouldn't do it. It's hardly a new phenomenon either, this has been happening for about 15 years now. I remember Penneys having a xmas section in September when I was in secondary school. It's no different from shops having "back to school" sections in June.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

either everyone here is from another planet or they have alzeimers. last year christmas started 1st september. year before 1st september. year before 1st september. year before................... you guessed it 1st september. 1994!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! christmas began at 1st of september!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! happens every year just depends if your looking in the right places. to be suprised is kinda *******. get over it. i hate christmas 2 but im not going to try to rid it and replace it with winterfest like alot of ********* out there.

P.S there is no christmas music anywhere and if you here christmas music maybe you have a tumour go get yourself checked:cool:

zuroph is yours the house in crewe park???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

krudler wrote: »
    some sort of xmas decoration bazooka

I am looking to buy one now before the Christmas rush, do you know what shops stock them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kat24

I love everything about Christmas. When I go into shops I smile when I see the decorations. They could have trees up in July and I'd be happy!! :D

Its a bit early for the music though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The christmas stuff in the shops early allows those on a budget to pick up little bits and pieces every week in the run up to christmas

have no problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

If i became Taoiseach tomorrow the first bit of legislation i would introduce would be to ban all Christmas advertising before November 1st. It is nothing more than retail greed and most annoying, it certainly has little to do with Christmas as i know it.

grenache wrote: »
    If i became Taoiseach tomorrow the first bit of legislation i would introduce would be to ban all Christmas advertising before November 1st. It is nothing more than retail greed and most annoying, it certainly has little to do with Christmas as i know it.
    +1 on that.
    I can understand people starting a bit early for the likes of toys etc because that part can cost a fortune,i do
    But that can all be done ragardless of the adds and displays in September.
    I don't accept the arguement about the recession and retailers trying to claw back lost sales,this was going on throughout the good years also.
    you are right it is simply money grabbing and using Christmas as an excuse to try and sell more.
    And remember most of those shops who are struggling now are the same ones who ripped us off during the celtic tiger years by bumping up prices
    in the run up to Christmas.

Paulegend wrote: »
    either everyone here is from another planet or they have alzeimers. last year christmas started 1st september. year before 1st september. year before 1st september. year before................... you guessed it 1st september. 1994!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! christmas began at 1st of september!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! happens every year just depends if your looking in the right places. to be suprised is kinda *******. get over it. i hate christmas 2 but im not going to try to rid it and replace it with winterfest like alot of ********* out there.

P.S there is no christmas music anywhere and if you here christmas music maybe you have a tumour go get yourself checked:cool:

zuroph is yours the house in crewe park???
    no tumour I know what i heard in ivans.....other people also made comments about it.
    roll on paddys day/easter/summer hols

where exactly in town have ye seen christmas decorations or heard christmas music?

Paulegend wrote: »
    where exactly in town have ye seen christmas decorations or heard christmas music?

decorations for sale in pennys and music in ivans
    lidl have the cakes and sweets for christmas
    harvey norman add on live 95fm
    limerick post full of adds

• Advertisement

daveob007 wrote: »
    decorations for sale in pennys and music in ivans
    lidl have the cakes and sweets for christmas
    harvey norman add on live 95fm
    limerick post full of adds

the limerick post has ads alright but they are advertising christmas parties which is kinda fair enough as if youve ever organised one youd be well aware that places get booked out very early.

lidl have cakes and sweets but i didnt see anything got to do with christmas but the last time i was there was the weekend so it could be different now.

pennys should be shunned for their behaviour:D they are always starting this christmas crap early its sickening

wasnt in ivans but you sure they are playing christmas music?????????? thats kinda strange like it just turned october!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

adverts for christmas are always going to happen around now because as some1 mentioned earlier people do shop early. actually going to start soon myself to ease to financial pressure.

im not defending or attacking christmas being early but i think alot of people here are making stuff up just to attack christmas being early

Advertisement