Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Buggie

Options
  • 25-09-2009 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi,

We have a son just turned one a few weeks ago and my wife is due our second next week. We are looking for a double buggie for the two of them and cannot decide on what to get. Should we go for a side by side one or an inline one.

Could some of you recommend a buggie to us that you have used, that is easy to use and does not take up too much room in the boot.

Thanks !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Side by side buggies are a nightmare! They are impossible to get in and around shops ect. I had the maclaren double buggy the last time (4 years ago) and it was a pain. Have heard good things about phil and teds though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I have Phil & Teds, I like it:)

The second seat has to be clipped in each time you want to use it (mine is a bit older I think and it won't fold down with the second seat on, a newer one might). Its not at all difficult to clip in though and makes it very easy to change from a single to a double.

Its a heavy buggy, I couldn't use it when I was pregnant, but your wife won't have that problem. Smaller baby must go in the lower seat and it will be inclined to topple back if a sibling leans in to give a kiss when the bigger child is not sitting in the front seat (yes, it happened to me). Lower seat is well padded though.

Both of mine love it, lots of staps to chew etc and good viewing angles.

If you buy it also buy a puncture repair kit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

foxy06 wrote: »
    Side by side buggies are a nightmare! They are impossible to get in and around shops ect. I had the maclaren double buggy the last time (4 years ago) and it was a pain. Have heard good things about phil and teds though.

We have the Out'n'About 360 side by side buggy. I completely disagree with the above but it is a matter of personal preference. Never have a bother with it anywhere and it is very light for a double buggy. Much prefer the side by sides to putting one behind.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I like -

http://eurocycles.ie/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=361

I don't like the way one child gets to look at the others back and is so low down in the phil and teds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I like -

http://eurocycles.ie/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=361

I don't like the way one child gets to look at the others back and is so low down in the phil and teds.

We have a Phil and Teds and TBH there was always a scramble for the back seat!
    Something to do with being able to just relax and not have people looking at you I suppose.
    They are great buggies ,very durable and easy to push. Pneumatic tyres beat solid foam tyres any day of the week for easy rolling and comfort.
    I suppose we will sell it now, The old McClaren came out of retirement not long ago as they have grown up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I don't like the Phil and Ted one but I've got a side by side one and I've no problem with it. I cannot remember the make offhand.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭ruffmut

Well we went looking at buggies today. We liked the Phil and Teds sport one, nice and easy to push around, only concern was that the second seat when set up in the lower position is close to the ground.

We are just after seeing the GRACO QUATTRO TOUR DUO DOUBLE STROLLER online (sorry for caps on, just pasted it over) so going to look for this now in a shop to see what its like.

Thanks for yer advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Phil and Teds sport for us. Built like a tank - weight of one too unfortunately. They have an aluminium framed one now but don't really see many about as I think the original sport is still popular.

Our 3 year old still goes for the underneath with 1 year old up front - never toppled, but we are always aware of possibility.

Just keep the tyres pumped and it will push well.

Don't think though the underneath will work when there is a new born in lay flat mode, so the seat needs to go up top over the lay flat... if you follow.

Anyway, we were sceptical at first but love it now as it is really tough and folds up and down real easy. We have number 3 on the way and my wife would find it too much to handle, but that would be the case with any double.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭doctorjohn

Have to disagree with the assessment of the mclaren double buggy.
    We had one when our lads were buggy age (a year and a half between them).
    It fitted in and out of practically every shop and domestic doorway and folded up tiny and was very light. In and out of boot in jigtime. couldn't recommend it highly enough. Have no vested interest in the company but if we ever needed a double buggy again (which we won't (vasectomies are great)) we would go right back to the mclaren double without a seconds thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Kaybe

Phil & Teds gets a HUGE thumbs up here.
    18mths between our 2, and the P&T was great for the first 6mths when the smallest one was just a newborn.She was lying completely flat, and the swaying motion was great. The eldest loved being up front and seeing all around.

It works equally well now that the baby is 18mths - our 3 year old is still happy to sit in the front when he's tired.

Didn't find it too heavy, and it folds down great into the boot. Also, if space is tight, the wheels can all pop off with just one button press.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Whattosell

We had our two with a similar age gap. We were going to buy a double buggy but never got around to it because for the first 6 months or so we had the newborn in a baby sling, and after that we bought a bibo bike attachment to the buggy, so our eldest went on that or in the buggy with the baby. Never needed to get it after all. We found the sling to be so much better for the new born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

We have the new Phil & Teds Vibe, it is Aluminium and folds with the second seat attached. Our boys are 20 months and 6 months and it only now that I am starting to see the value of it.

Our Little one did not like the lying down part but, now that he is able to sit in the lower down seat he loves it. He looks from side to side all the time and is so happy in there.

I would have no problem recommending it.

M
    xx

Thanks for all of your replies. We are going to take a second look at the phil and teds. We tried it out in the shop last Saturday with our youg fellow in it and it was a nice buggy to push around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

plus 1 for the out n about 360 ....i researched loads before investing ....it is actually a great width, suitable for literally everywhere...fits brilliantly in the boot as has quick release wheels and the added bonus of both kids facing out....no-one at the back to kick the other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

We found the phil and teds (We had a loan of one for a while) on the small side for bigger kids, or wheres theres a bigger gap between them. Wasn't a runner for us. Bigger kids were cramped under the hood.

The inline buggy like the graco is great for tight spaces shops, resturants, airports, but heavy for longer walks. Whereas the side by side nipper is great for longer walks and bigger kids. Both take bigger kids no problems.

You've no way of knowing what you'll need. As some kids will want to walk earlier than others you might end up not need a double for that long. sometimes a buggy board is easier and buggy boards don't fit on all buggies. You might find its easier to load up a double buggy then load up the car for local journeys, schools, shops etc.

We got a cheap graco, but then needed to get a nipper side by side aswell. I expect its the same for other people which is why you see a lot double buggies for sale 2nd hand in great condition. People only need them for a short time compared to a single buggy. But if you need them, theres not much you can do about it.

Some of the doubles are quite big, so you'd really have to try them in your boot before buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭PullOutMethod

We have a 2 yr old and a 10 month old.
    The McLaren double buggy (side by side) is your only man.
    It's been everywhere with us (including every trip abroad).
    It fits into the car boot (whatever you get ensure that it does fit).

Thanks for the replies everyone. We decided to wait till number two arrived (whiched happened early yesterday morning) and we will go looking with the two kids in tow and try them out then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

We have a 2 yr old and a 10 month old.
    The McLaren double buggy (side by side) is your only man.
    It's been everywhere with us (including every trip abroad).
    It fits into the car boot (whatever you get ensure that it does fit).
    Different Strokes for different folks I suppose. We had the McClaren side by side and we weren't mad about it. It did fold up neatly in the boot and was easy to handle from that point of view, but i was not particularly easy to push with 2 kids in it. Grand when the footpath was nice and smooth, but any bit higgildy piggledy at all and it was tough going.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just whatever you do dont buy the Graco Stadium Duo.Its like trying to turn the Titanic its that heavy.We ended up buying the McLaren side by side aswell and its much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The Graco is narrower so it fill fit in places a single buggy will. Doubles won't. Downside its heavier to steer though we didn't find it that big a problem. If you want something easy to push you need inflatable wheels. Which means the nipper 360. But it won't fold as compact as the McLaren. Of price comes into as some of these buggies are nearly 4 times more expensive than the other. There isn't the perfect buggy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement