Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afghanistan to bring in compulsory military service?

Options
  • 25-09-2009 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

~So what’s the difference between "compulsory military service" and conscription?

Allot of the Afgan people have to see where the insurgency is coming, so if compulsory military service is introduced several "terrorists" will use the opportunity to infiltrate the logistical side of the afgan forces.

There have been several mentions of infiltrations in previous news stories i have read.

To me its just a crazy idea to bring in compulsory military service because you are just giving the insurgency more legitimate targets, as well as expanding the scope of the war to include non combatants.

People being forced into some sort of military service against their will are either going to do it,
    do it and desert at the first opportunity
    refuse end up in jail
    actively join the insurgency

Am i the only one who thinks that’s just mad?

Actually speaking of just madd - did you see that US & UK representative actually walked out of the UN during a speech by Ahmadinejad (Iran prez)
    fair enough you can ramble on as much as you about how what he was saying was wrong and distasteful but really that’s not the point and it’s not way the US and UK should be behaving especially since they are trying to ease tensions with Iran. - Well that’s what lord ball said a few weeks ago anyway

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't see it. (Literally, believe me I'm only too aware of what the ANSF are doing: They're doing my head in!). Outside of the telegraph article I found after Googling, I've not heard anything of that nature.

I also don't see the requirement for conscription to go to the 240,000 limit.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

so if compulsory military service is introduced several "terrorists" will use the opportunity to infiltrate the logistical side of the afgan forces.
    Dont be silly Deeds. Terrorists can already enlist.

Advertisement