Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we name our motorways?

Options
  • 25-09-2009 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

I've seen this done in France and Australia. Perhaps common elsewhere. Obviously the number takes precedent and should be used primarily for signposting the location of a motorway.

For example, in France, there is the "Autoroute de Deux Mers", (sounds beautiful), the Motorway of the two seas which is the A62/A61 which connects the Mediterranean and the Atlantic.

Put simply what I am talking about would be.

- Signposts on N and R roads which indicate direction to a motorway should only use the Motorway number.

- But when joining a Motorway, along with the route number, there could be a Name.

This could go two ways really. It could be a name to describe the Motorway (like France) or named after someone (like Australia).

So while I do not believe this will ever be done, anyone got any idea. Extra points for good/funny names.

M8: Sli Na Gaibhlte (The Galtee Way - forgive my bad grammar)
    or The Langer expressway!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Colm R wrote: »
    I've seen this done in France and Australia. Perhaps common elsewhere. Obviously the number takes precedent and should be used primarily for signposting the location of a motorway.

For example, in France, there is the "Autoroute de Deux Mers", (sounds beautiful), the Motorway of the two seas which is the A62/A61 which connects the Mediterranean and the Atlantic.

Put simply what I am talking about would be.

- Signposts on N and R roads which indicate direction to a motorway should only use the Motorway number.

- But when joining a Motorway, along with the route number, there could be a Name.

This could go two ways really. It could be a name to describe the Motorway (like France) or named after someone (like Australia).

So while I do not believe this will ever be done, anyone got any idea. Extra points for good/funny names.

M8: Sli Na Gaibhlte (The Galtee Way - forgive my bad grammar)
    or The Langer expressway!!

M9 - Sunshine Express (Sunny South East) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Enbee

I like this idea. Upgrade the N22 to motorway standard and call it the Rebel Highway? Would the Westmeath Turnpike have a good ring to it? Should the Dublin Port Tunnel be renamed after Brian Boru?

Bards wrote: »

Our very own Autoroute du Soleil?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Dante

They should theme it like the lord of the rings theme or something, have a motorway up in Donegal called Mordor, one in Cork called the Shire, one in Dublin called Mount Doom and one in the midlands called Middle Earth....I think I speak for nobody when I say that would be great.

That's gotta be worth four bonus points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

Bards wrote: »
    That would be the M11 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

jd wrote: »
    That would be the M11 :)

Carlow, Kilkenny, Waterford & Wexford make up the Sunny South East the Bulk of the M9 travels through these counties, whereas only a short section of the M11 travels through Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

M1 Paisley Way.
    M3 Ruining Tara.
    M2 Its called Derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Colm, I love this idea, but in order for it to be implemented there would first need to exist a sense of civic pride about the motorways. Unfortunately, there's absolutely none of that. Instead we have weed-infested highways, barren and unkempt, festooned with clumps of earth, rubber and tussocks along the concrete barriers. Until the motorways are properly maintained and gentrified, naming them would be a bathetic act on the part of the NRA and local authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

We've been giving our motorways lofty names since day one:

M7 aka "The Naas Bypass" and M50 "Western Parkway" are two that come to mind. :D

Joking aside, I do agree with your sentiments, especially if the route goes near more scenic areas.

M3 - Tara Hills Expressway

Whats the Irish for "Motorway", by the by?

• Advertisement

Owenw wrote: »

Whats the Irish for "Motorway", by the by?

Mótorway? ;)

Nah, it's Mótarbealach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

N20 - Turn Around Expressway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I propose the M6 should be called Agnes (or Seamus..for the ladies).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

M7 - The Way Out Of Dublin

M18 - Weshtern Expressway

M3 Sli na Ri
    M22 Captain Farrell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

M7 - The Way Out Of Dublin

M18 - Weshtern Expressway

M17 and M18 could both share the name "Western Road Corridor" :)

By the same logic:

M1: Great Northern Road

M4: Midlands Great Western Road

M7: Great Southern & Western Road

M11: Dublin & South Eastern Road

• Registered Users Posts: 68,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Theres some number of roads in Strabane/Omagh already called "Great Northern something" already - might need to be a bit more imaginative!

If you count the "X Bypass" names, nearly every major road scheme until the MIUs has a name of some description, from Northern Cross to East Cork Parkway and all the Bypasse's in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

MYOB wrote: »
    Theres some number of roads in Strabane/Omagh already called "Great Northern something" already - might need to be a bit more imaginative!

If you count the "X Bypass" names, nearly every major road scheme until the MIUs has a name of some description, from Northern Cross to East Cork Parkway and all the Bypasse's in between.

Some of the soon to be M18 can be called the Brazilian pothole bypass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They are named already

The Cork road, the Galway road etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

normal_M50_Mainline_Gantry_C.png

Something like that.

• Advertisement

Thats pretty nice. The NRA have taken over responsibility for all roads. Perhaps you should look into getting a job as the sign designer.

Role: Design signs.

Requirements: Consistency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

tHE M7 is not a railway it should not be called the Great western and southern, since the M7 does not go south. The M8 does.

The M7 should be called
    • "The mother road" (All maor motorways lead to it)
    • " the road from the heavens"
    • "All roads lead to heaven" ( Takes 7 days to complete the heavens)
    • "the Fall road" ( from september 7th month)
    • "The road to the divine"
    • "The route 7"
    • "The road that leads to the end of the rainbow"
    • "The road that leads to the sun"
    • "The ancient route of the kings
      {*} "The road that brings the Irish sea to the mouth of the river shannon.
      These are just some examples
    Al I have seen is generic boring old rehash names. The world had a designer. Let's take note of the fact. Everything in the world has symbolism, including the numbers. If your going to give a road a name, at least look into symbolism and history behind it.

And not ust using names from other lists....

It's very boring using names from something already used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

mysterious wrote: »
    ...The world had a designer...

No, it didn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    No, it didn't!

The amazing thing about the world, most of the leaders know the designers. The followers (that would be you don't know):rolleyes:

Everything has a design, whether you capable or incapable of applying intellect and common sense to existence.

Who built the roads, The elves?

mysterious wrote: »
    The amazing thing about the world, most of the leaders know the designers. The followers (that would be you don't know):rolleyes:

Everything has a design, whether you capable or incapable of applying intellect and common sense to existence.

Who built the roads, The elves?

How intelligent would you consider those designers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

If motorway/DC is ever complete in the Atlantic Corridor (N20/N18/N17/N15) it should be renamed the Rory Gallagher Expressway after Ireland's and one of the world's greatest guitar players :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

Zoney wrote: »
    M17 and M18 could both share the name "Western Road Corridor" :)

<pedantic>They're already part of the "Atlantic Corridor"</pedantic>, which isn't a bad name - though I like your jibe at you-know-who ...

nordydan wrote: »
    If motorway/DC is ever complete in the Atlantic Corridor (N20/N18/N17/N15) it should be renamed the Rory Gallagher Expressway after Ireland's and one of the world's greatest guitar players :cool:

That would be a great name.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

It should be the Rory Gallagher Motorway, where it is a motorway and Rory Gallagher Highway where is is a National Route. But deffo a good name to have.

• Advertisement

nordydan wrote: »

Hmm...I don't really like the idea of naming big roads after people for some reason. Legends or landmarks would be better imo. Also, many names don't sound very nice. However, on a side note, I heard of a baby boy born a few days ago called Blaise Fury. Now that is a cool name. :cool:

Advertisement