Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Ireland gone that sh*t??

• 25-09-2009 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭

I left Ireland june 2008. I've been to the slums of asia, initially hated it but grew to bloody love it. I lept goin onwards to oz, travelled around, got a tan, lived as a foreigner so only took the crap jobs. Lived on just enough to get by, but still i was always happy.

Now, I come back to AH all the time. I'm from Tallaght. All the time i see people going on about ireland degrading and basically fallin to sh*t!!

My question, is it really gone to sh*t? like really, has it gone that bad? do yis just have more time to whinge now about stuff that was always there, or is there a noticeable increase in sh*tness since i left? (im sure me leavin the country has nothin to do with it falling apart...;))

but ye, is it gone that bad? i dont think i know anyone whos been sacked in the last few years so prsumably they're all still on the same wages, in the same apartments, goin on holidays to Rome/london/vegas.

is it only the bottom 10% that are gettin affected? or everyone?

if it is the bottom 10%, how are they ruinin 90% of peoples day to day lives??

what have you done to my country since i left??????????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

I smear poo on buildings as I walk past them, just for fun.

Seriously though, I love Ireland, always have, moaning is just a part of who we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

My sis is a doctor and her wage has almost been slashed to half... well, not exactly half but by about 30% and its the same story with almost all other doctors bar consultants (they still own the place!).

So its everyone who's gotten affected by the recession.
    Its almost impossible to get a job now. Especially if you've never worked before like me... :(

And Ireland has gotten a bit more violent and hostile too.
    So yup, looks like the country has gone down the crapper in a year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I've been to the slums of asia, initially hated it but grew to bloody love it.
    I'm from Tallaght.

I understand completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I understand completely.

LOL.

In fact, when The_B_Man comes back there's a role for him in the new Irish film "The SquareDog Millionaire".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I left Ireland june 2008. I've been to the slums of asia, initially hated it but grew to bloody love it. I lept goin onwards to oz, travelled around, got a tan, lived as a foreigner so only took the crap jobs. Lived on just enough to get by, but still i was always happy.

Now, I come back to AH all the time. I'm from Tallaght. All the time i see people going on about ireland degrading and basically fallin to sh*t!!

My question, is it really gone to sh*t? like really, has it gone that bad? do yis just have more time to whinge now about stuff that was always there, or is there a noticeable increase in sh*tness since i left? (im sure me leavin the country has nothin to do with it falling apart...;))

but ye, is it gone that bad? i dont think i know anyone whos been sacked in the last few years so prsumably they're all still on the same wages, in the same apartments, goin on holidays to Rome/london/vegas.

Have you ever seen Mad Max? It's like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Hey Dad, there's a strange fella sitting on the sofa munching wunchy lumticks of toast

That's Joe. He, he lives here now. A lodger that's what he is, he rents you room.

How do you do, Joe? Find the room comfortable do ya? No complaints?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

but ye, is it gone that bad?

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

My sis is a doctor and her wage has almost been slashed to half... well, not exactly half but by about 30% and its the same story with almost all other doctors bar consultants (they still own the place!).

Its almost impossible to get a job now. Especially if you've never worked before like me... :(

Hell, if anything, Nurses deserve alot more pay when you consider they
    have to deal with alot of horrific crap. One the toughest jobs around.

Having to deal with hoards of scummers and the rest of society
    is no easy task. Teachers really have an easy life in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Not a bad time to be a student, you're just as poor as you ever were but everything is cheaper than it used to be, handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

lol fair play RHunce, only actual answer.
    shoulda known for postin AH.

dont get me started on medical stuff, af_the fragile, me bro is tallaght01 so talk to him on his opinion of wages on all levels in the irish healthcare system.

my point though, the impression boards gives is that irish people have lost their "irishness". Go back 20 years if u want a definition of what that is.

there doesnt seem to be anything enticing for someone to move to ireland. i think that says a lot. maybe thats nothing to do with "recesh 09" but whatever, i've given up on satisfying my curiostiy after the 3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th posts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

lol fair play RHunce, only actual answer.
    shoulda known for postin AH.

dont get me started on medical stuff, af_the fragile, me bro is tallaght01 so talk to him on his opinion of wages on all levels in the irish healthcare system.

my point though, the impression boards gives is that irish people have lost their "irishness". Go back 20 years if u want a definition of what that is.

there doesnt seem to be anything enticing for someone to move to ireland. i think that says a lot. maybe thats nothing to do with "recesh 09" but whatever, i've given up on satisfying my curiostiy after the 3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th posts!

I think your right since Irish people had a few bob in their pocket they became greedy unfriendly *****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

relatively speaking ireland is a paradise.
    even the poorest here live in far better conditions than the poor in the slums where you are.
    yes,it could always be better but no it ain't that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

That's very true as well.
    It does as a country take care of it's people very very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I would venture to say that Ireland is becoming more Irish, than it was 9 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

it's fine. l2p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

its still a great country just going threw tough times

people have been spoilt the last 15/20 years and it is catching up noow so they complain its only natural as a whole i think the population should consider themselves lucky to have been born in ireland rather than say the slums of asia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Everything is fine. Its pretty much the same as it used to be before we found the stash. For all those kids who werent here when it was even sh!tter, Relax. Its grand, someone will eventually fix things and that'll be that for about 10 years and then it just repeats itself.

That's very true as well.
    It does as a country take care of it's people very very well.

u reckon?? from relating it to other countries, im sorry but im sure u have ur specific reason but i'll have to disagree. this place just threw an extra 30 quid a week to pensioners. i also get free healthcare with little wait.
    dyl10 wrote: »
    I would venture to say that Ireland is becoming more Irish, than it was 9 years ago.

as above, u reckon? 9 years ago was the millennium. im irish born and bred and the millenium is a sore point to me tbh. mainly coz of the time in the slime, the fleuzy in the jacuzzy/spire debacle, and the amount of ****e that happened that year with ppl get ****faced for a change "coz its the millenniuim!!".

here, i've just been readin my posts. it sounds like im whingin but im just really tryin to fingure out if its worth me while movin home in july as planned, or stayin out here longer.

i'll be honest, i'm most likely gonna come back but im gettin the impression this "recession" has brought out the cnut in us all! im just waitin for someone to prove me wrong and restore a bit of faith for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Where does she work, because that sounds like nonsense to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I haven't gone through it all but apart from reference to cuts in overtime and allowances I can't see any concrete figures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

I would say that the roads are falling into pieces, and I ntice a less of a Garda presence about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I was in town last night to celebrate Arthurs day and it served a useful purpose in the sense that it reinforced my belief that Dublin could be a truly world class city if it wasnt for the people that live here.

Drunkenness, skankiness etc is the ruination of this city and you cant blame this on any politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It's not than bad at all if your John O'Donoghue or Roddy Molloy, or basically anyone in power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

If you can afford to live OK, then I don't see why you wouldn't come back to Ireland.

If you're a high earner, you'll really feel the pinch in your packet coming back.

One thing that does worry me is the fact that it could be a rough Christmas for a lot of people, and there could be an 80s-like crime wave impending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah cos no-one is speaking proper.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If you still have your job, which most people have, Ireland is similar to the way it was. The main difference from my point of view is that, while still having my decent paying job, my job security has reduced markedly, and planning several months or longer ahead has to take that reduced security into account.

The country is the same as it was for most people, but there is less big ticket items being purchased, as well as constant doom and gloom in the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

its not that bad at all, and about people losing their 'Irishness', they are just a few complainers we never wanted anyway like the D4 lads who live in mass produced estate houses and overpriced apartments. ****ing consumer society people who just throw money at every problem hoping it will go away. when they run out of money they will leave and go away to some place like England and San Francisco or whatever other ****hole they believe to be more 'advanced' than ireland and annoy the crap out of everyone on Facebook and Twitter over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

mike65 wrote: »

Yeah cos no-one is speaking proper.

Innit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Special K

I'm sure she's still getting about 200,000 a year.............

Advertisement