Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long is reasonable to wait for a repair?

Options
  • 25-09-2009 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Just want to check people's opinions on what they would do.

Bought a 42" plasma from a shop in June, all was going well until the middle of August when it went blank while I was watching it. Turned it off, and tried to turn it back on again after a while - Nothing but a clicking noise like the screen was trying to power up. So I took it back to the shop and they said they'd send it off for repair, might take 10-14 days for it to be delivered to wher it is fixed, repaired and brought back again. Great I thought, i'll have it back soon enough. It's now been 4 weeks since I dropped it off at the shop and it still hasn't come back from repairs. Said they check back with the repair company again on Monday.

Would it be out of line asking for a replacement?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Out of line? No. You may not get it, but perhaps it would hurry them up. You are entitled to repair replacement or refund, if they cant do one, you push for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 staengus

Thanks, i'll see what a visit to do the shop might do to hurry them up a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EoinSheehy96

you are legal entitled to get a refund replacement or credit note so if you ask if they say no remind them that they are legally required to give you a replacement if the product is faulty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Eoin, You'll find that the retailer can choose between Repair, Replace and Refund. It's not a multiple choice for the consumers.

That said, the OP should ask for replacement after 4 weeks and see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Elessar

you are legal entitled to get a refund replacement or credit note so if you ask if they say no remind them that they are legally required to give you a replacement if the product is faulty

They are not legally required to give you a replacement. They must offer a repair, replacement or refund but you do not have to accept either. Since the OP accepted the repair he has to give them reasonable time to get the product back.

What constitutes reasonable is another thing. Four weeks sounds unreasonable to me.

Any news on this OP?

• Advertisement

Contacted the store again, the TV was sent back to the suppliers who are waiting on a part since Sept 2nd. Am to be informed again tomorrow how long more it'll be as they could not give me an answer today.

Think i'll try asking for a replacement if it goes beyond this week.

Been told on two separate days that the store would ring back with new information for me, needless to say it didn't happen and I had to ring them myself. The TV company is still waiting on a part - and this is the main repair centre for the country!

Supposed to have a definite answer by Thursday evening of what the situation is. Getting beyond a joke at this stage, brought up the idea of a replacement if its not back next week but they couldn't give me an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Eoin, You'll find that the retailer can choose between Repair, Replace and Refund. It's not a multiple choice for the consumers.

Their choice is not final though, as you can chose to refuse. Since the OP did accept the repair option, it should be done in a reasonable time frame.
    staengus wrote: »
    Been told on two separate days that the store would ring back with new information for me, needless to say it didn't happen and I had to ring them myself. The TV company is still waiting on a part - and this is the main repair centre for the country!

Supposed to have a definite answer by Thursday evening of what the situation is. Getting beyond a joke at this stage, brought up the idea of a replacement if its not back next week but they couldn't give me an answer.

Give them 24 hours to tell you when exactly the repair will be done, and tell them if they fail to do this you will take them to the Small Claims Court for a full refund. This costs €15 to apply, and after that you just wait for the decision. Can take a couple of weeks, but hopefully the threat will be enough to get them to move on this.

Speak to the manager in the store too. Better again, put it in writing and hand it to the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

write to the store and hand deliver it giving them 24hours to sort this out but be aware they may give you a date but will most likely not stick to it so you might be better asking for refund or replacement at this stage.

your tv could be sitting in a room at the back of the shop having not been sent anywhere.

Situation was finally resolved on Friday evening.

Went in again to demand a refund or replacement, they rang the repair center there and then - turns out that the TV still wasn't fixed. I was given a replacement tv to take home straight away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement