Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ben Dunne gym lucan

Options
  • 25-09-2009 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

hi
    just wondering if anybody has heard anything about a new ben dunne gym opening in Lucan?
    Heard Ben on Mooney the other day and he said in passing that he has a new club opening in Lucan about Christmas time but I can't find anything online about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I haven't heard anything about it either.

There's another thread about his gyms here but nothing about a potential new one in Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

thanks
    maybe I heard wrong???
    I've posted in fitness so will wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

wouldn't be a great spot with Crunch so close by

Carolmon, you are not going mad :)

See this. There's an advert on the bottom left saying that a BD gym will open in Ballyowen Lane in Lucan shortly!!

By the way, that site is a new Ben Dunne venture that doesn't open until October 14th, that's why the site is full of inactive links :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

First i've heard of it,surprised i haven't gotten the usual 30 flyers a week through the door about it. It must be beside the Giraffe place and medical centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

thanks
    that's right beside me, will check out prices once they're open.

I've heard it's going on top of Lidl, not sure how true that is......

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭friday1

Theres a sign on the side of Lidl Ballyowen saying "BD Fitness".

I heard a few years ago it had planning for a gym.

I also heard Ben Dunne is not putting any equipment in whatsoever,

everyone is just gonna run round and round in circles.

Should be cheap though if thats the case.:rolleyes:

According to Ben Dunnes Wikipedia:
    He is currently working on a new value range of health clubs, BD Fitness. The first club is due to open in December 2009 in Ballyowen near Lucan in Dublin. Membership will cost approx 150 Euro per year. The clubs will not have any swimming pools jacuzzis etc, but will focus on providng high quality fitness facilities at value prices. A number of these clubs are planned to open around the country over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Wait, what exactly is the point of a gym with no equipment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭jungleboy

I heard its opening in 2 weeks, some of the guys that work on the site were in a local shop talking about it. membership is going to be just under 200 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Anyone join? Anyone even been in there to see what its like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

mate is there - quiet thus far but expect it to get busier, apparently they don't limit membership - no pool though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 MrsNY

I joined a few weeks ago.
    I'm finding it very good - only €200 and they have loads of equipment.
    Its not busy at all - apparently the busiest time is between 5.30 and 6.30, now I've only been up once at that time and there was about 30 people there any other time it has been less than 20.
    A friend of mine joined on sat and he was only charged €175 so I dont know if that is an indication that they aren't getting members or what....

Is it all machines or is there a free weights section? How large is the free-weights section? Is there enough room for a couple of people to bench press at one time or is there only one bench?

I ask because quite often gyms are dedicated almost solely to machines with a token free-weight area.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭the_one_&_only

Mate of mine went up for a nose around. He said it has alot of equipment and its quite big ( its above lidl beside the penny hill) but what turned him off was the only had 3 showers and the are open plan :eek::eek:

But on the plus side is only €200 which you have to pay upfront (no dd facility available)

Once it gets busy the plan on having it open 24x7

... but what turned him off was the only had 3 showers and the are open plan :eek::eek:

Open plan I've no problem with but only 3 showers?? That's pretty disgusting! If they want a lot of members they'll have to invest in more showers. In my old gym at 7 in the morning there would be at least three showers in use, never mind the busy times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 MrsNY

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Is it all machines or is there a free weights section? How large is the free-weights section? Is there enough room for a couple of people to bench press at one time or is there only one bench?

I ask because quite often gyms are dedicated almost solely to machines with a token free-weight area.

Biggest weights area I've seen yet in a Gym (I'm a former Crunch member which was a joke on teh free weights front).
    There is a separate ladies area at one side of it. There are four little benches there and loads more at the male end.

Only three showers in an open plan area could be an issue for some alright - have never used them myself as I live closeby. Could be in the Gym at 6.30, leg it home , shower and still be on time for my bus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

I joined about 3 weeks back, if your interested in joining but haven't seen it - your going to be very surprised when you do!

Plenty of everything there - only snag is that the showering area aint up to scratch with only 3 showers, everything else is of the highest order, great pricing too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Manc-Red wrote: »
    I joined about 3 weeks back, if your interested in joining but haven't seen it - your going to be very surprised when you do!

Plenty of everything there - only snag is that the showering area aint up to scratch with only 3 showers, everything else is of the highest order, great pricing too:)

Any details how you got on with the pricing? Is it officially €200 but they are accepting €175? Who (if anyone) did you negotiate with about the price?

unkel wrote: »
    Any details how you got on with the pricing? Is it officially €200 but they are accepting €175? Who (if anyone) did you negotiate with about the price?
    I paid €200 for my year with them but as soon as Feb came around my sister got a 13 month sub off them for €175.

There was no negotiating though, I was told pricing changes on a monthly basis - obviously with it being like a morgue they felt they had to bring down the price, it has brought a load of new members in since the turn of the month must say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I've never joined a gym before so I don't really know what to expect. What exactly do you get for €175? Is there anyone to create a fitness plan for you? What are the opening hours like at the moment?

• Advertisement

squared wrote: »
    I've never joined a gym before so I don't really know what to expect. What exactly do you get for €175? Is there anyone to create a fitness plan for you? What are the opening hours like at the moment?

You get a fitness plan, access to all the equipment - which is everything that you could ever need.

Opening hours are 6.30am to 10pm (mon - wed), 6.30 am to 9pm (thurs & fri) & 8.30 to 5.00pm weekends.

Its my first gym to join 2 - Absolutely superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Got a flyer in the door today. No sign up fee and €175 for 13 months of membership. Offer ends Mar 15th. Only valid with this flyer. Yeah right :)

Opening hours are per Manc-Red's post, except closing on Sat and Sun is at 5.30PM

Phone 6210000

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dec0512

Anyone know how much 6 months or a year would cost now ? just wondering , considering joining just seeing if anyone knew the prices.cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Are there any classes here? I'm a member in Crunch in Westmanstown, but pretty much only do spin classes and circuit training classes up there. Anything like this in Dunne's place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Are there any classes here? I'm a member in Crunch in Westmanstown, but pretty much only do spin classes and circuit training classes up there. Anything like this in Dunne's place?

Nope its just a Gym. I'm a member. I find it very good as its cheap and never too busy when i need to us it. But if your into classes or swimming pools maybe look elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Anything to watch out for when signing the contract? Mrs Bcirl03 just back and they are charging a monthly fee, she was told you can opt out at any stage.

Is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

just tried to go to the ben dunne lucan gym this evening and it was closed. anyone know why it was closed ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

bada_bing wrote: »
    just tried to go to the ben dunne lucan gym this evening and it was closed. anyone know why it was closed ??

Maybe with the bad weather they closed early to let their staff get home?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SamSamSammy

do they do personal trainers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SamSamSammy

*that should probably read have personal trainers...

Advertisement