Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance Question

Options
  • 25-09-2009 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

I was wondering i have been paying maintenance for a number of years now.Its been increased over the years,like many things are getting very tight.Im thinking i may have to reduce the amount that can be paid each month but dont want to start world war 3.Iv been told that as my ex gf will be getting married in a couple of months and that if she is married i dont have to pay if i dont want to ,as its up to her new husband to surport.Now i will keep paying for my child but if this is the case it would make it easier to ruduce the payment .Does anyone know is it the case if the mother gets married the father of the child does not have to carry on maintenance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

NO. Another man is not responsible for paying for YOUR kids. OMG why would you even want another man to pay for your kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

NO. Another man is not responsible for paying for YOUR kids. OMG why would you even want another man to pay for your kids?
    If you read what i wrote i did say that i would keep paying i dont want another man to pay for my daughter all i was asking if it was the case then it would be easier to reduce payments as like most people in this country things are not easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

No it wouldnt. His income has nothing to do with what you can afford to pay. The maintenance is for the child, not for the mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That's what's it's supposed to be for alright :)

In practical terms (and I stress practical terms) the mother's financial situation may be changing so worth renegotiating directly or get your solicitor's opinion.

If you were paying spousal maintenance that of course stops the day she gets married.

Advertisement