Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nerves on the big day

• 25-09-2009 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Hey! I know there is probably a lot of threads on this but does anyone have any helpful hints on how to relax..

I failed twice and have just applied for my third time. On the day of my second test, i literally was a nervous wreak. My legs started shaking so much that i couldn't start the car properly... The tester just looked at me like i was an idiot!

Any techniques would be great.. I failed twice on my reverse around the corner so i know what i have to work on!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

tatabubbly wrote: »
    Hey! I know there is probably a lot of threads on this but does anyone have any helpful hints on how to relax..

I failed twice and have just applied for my third time. On the day of my second test, i literally was a nervous wreak. My legs started shaking so much that i couldn't start the car properly... The tester just looked at me like i was an idiot!

Any techniques would be great.. I failed twice on my reverse around the corner so i know what i have to work on!
    the times i failed i was well prepared did pre tests , went practising before the test itself ,
    the time i passed i took no pre tests, had no car till 3 hours before only drove it for 15 mins before the test and basically went down with the i dont care if i pass or not attitude and passed with flyin colours .
    so dont prepare at all and shud pass :pac:
    no just messing that worked for me cant see it working for many though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

I passed on my third attempt in the UK.

My first two tests, I consciously tried to relax myself, had lovely examiners and failed.

On the third, I woke up late with my driving instructor beeping outside, had the "horrific examiner" who is a legend at my test centre, and passed.

There's a lot to be said for the "flippant" approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Someone made a suggestion of eating a banana before the test so it might be worth a shot.

Given I've a similar problem I'd gamble on the nerves being partially being related to a stranger judging you sitting in the car. Again based on suggestion someone made before, it might be worth getting a few lessons of different instructor and it might help you aclimatise to the situation and hopefullt reduce the nerves.

Sorry these mightn't great (and i dont mean to offend those who suggested them more that everyone is different) but are probably worth a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

I had the same problem even though im not a nervous person in real life. I failed twice. On my third time I had 2 pretests beforehand with two different people just so I could have experience with random people in the car. Work out well in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Thanks that seems like a really good idea!
    It's not that i mind the stranger in the car i think it's more i'm being judged on my driving.... fear of failing the test me thinks....

I heard bach rescue remedy is suppose to work.... anyone use it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Can you fake confidence? Try that. It definitely helps a lot in exam situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Ah, I failed before I passed too so I know how you feel. Don't tell anybody, or tell as few people as possible that you are doing the test, takes the pressure off. Think positively. Have you ever heard about those people with low self confidence who look in a mirror and say to themselves, "I am beautiful"?! I know that sounds a bit off the wall, but seriously, say in your head, "I can do this"!

I had a lesson right before the test I passed and found that quite helpful. I wouldn't call it a pre-test because my instructor still spoke to me and pointed out some things I needed to remember so it wasn't like he just sat there, silently, like a tester.

Practice your reverse, seen as this has been your downfall before. Last but not least, take every bit of your test as it comes! I failed on the reverse too so don't spend your whole test wondering when he'll ask you to do it and fretting about it. Try to concentrate on what you are doing at the time.

Best of luck, hope you pass :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I was fairly nervous before the test, but after he asked the oral questions and the roadsigns I relaxed. Helps to know the roads they use for the test, to avoid any surprises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I went into the toilet in the test centre before the test and looked in the mirror and said "You can do this". Like a previous poster said, it can help to fake confidence, you might start believing it is the real thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Being nervous is good, it shows you care about what you're doing. Apparently the only exam i was ever nervous for was the driving test:D Anyways, go in a little early to the centre and sit and wait. Don;t think about driving at all and when the instructor comes out to call ya in for your interrogation fix him a gaze right in the eye. Be nervous, but by god, show no fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

You're not nervous, you're determined! Remember that!

If something doesn't go as planed during the test, shake it off and forget about it. People make mistakes worrying and thinking about a potential mistake they made earlier or being over conscious. Take it as it comes, pay no attention to the tester aside from their instructions, pay no attention to what they're writing. They don't give you a mark just after you made the mistake, they usually wait a few minutes. Don't be afraid to get clarification of an instruction if you think you need to.

As for waiting in the test centre, some people like to go over questions etc. I feel that you either know them or you don't, cramming isn't going to make it any better, and can make you even more nervous if you feel you don't know them. I brought the DS with me into the waiting room. Made the 40 minute wait fly by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

My test is scheduled for a months time, and even tho I don't expect to pass first time round (still have the chugging problem with my car!! and don't check my mirrors enough, I know that for a fact) I still drive to work and in traffic myself to practice. I know on the day I will be nervous and will be a bit heavy footed on the pedals!! All tips appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

... even tho I don't expect to pass first time round...

Try not to go into the test expecting to fail. Go in with the intention of giving it your best shot, there's no point setting yourself up to fail, that will only make things worse imho.

My test is scheduled for a months time, and even tho I don't expect to pass first time round (still have the chugging problem with my car!! and don't check my mirrors enough, I know that for a fact)

Try moving your seat back, if your right up on top of the clutch.
    It is actually more difficult to control it smoothly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

I went into the toilet in the test centre before the test and looked in the mirror and said "You can do this". Like a previous poster said, it can help to fake confidence, you might start believing it is the real thing!

Naas wouldnt let me use the toilet :mad:

they sent me across the road to a hotel and they said no im not allowed but i can this time just the once :mad: wtf like !!! (wouldnt mind cos it was my second time there and was the same cow behind the desk ;) )

anyway..... be smug during your test. ( sounds wrong i know ) sit up right and look big as if your in control of the car and you know what your doing.. i did this and my tester felt really small beside me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I have mine on in Naas on thursday morning, I reckon I'll be okay provided I get a bit of luck on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MyaP

I am so nervous for the test tomorrow. Friday 13th of all days. lucky for some I hope!! ....I was fine at the driving this weekend but today had a pre-test in dreadful weather and was finding it difficult to do the reverse properly..confidence has taken a hit, but am really hoping I pass tomorrow anyhow. Do you think testers take it more into account these days that learners won't have as many hours behind the wheel since they have to be accompanied all the time? I hope so.

Some days my gear changing is really smooth and others not so. I was really doubting myself today though the instructor was telling me not too. I hope it is not lashing rain tomorrow.

Advertisement