Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Puppy!

Options
  • 25-09-2009 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi, I have a 4 month old pup who has not eaten since last night. She is not her usual hyper self at all and she got a small bit sick a while ago. Any advice would be appreciated, I'm really worried about her. Thanks.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

if you pup isnt drinking I would be concerned. they can get dehydrated very fast. However, if she is drinking she may just have had a bit of an upset stomach or eaten something she shouldnt. Try giving her a bit of plain food, rice and chicken and she how she reacts. If she isnt right by tomorrow morning I would bring her to the vet just to get her checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Is she drinking? Does she have diarheaa?
    Can you check her temperature?
    DId you give her anything the night before that may have made her sick? things like dentastix, pigsears and some other treats are made for adult dogs so can make them a bit off..
    My puppy got a really bad bout of gastroenteritis from a pigs ear!

+1 to what inexile said. Chicken and rice is easy on their tums and they love it!! You could try brown rice as it's better for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

shes just done really really bad diarrhea all over the floor! I rang the vet and she said to give her some antibiotic and that she must've picked something up.. She did drink some water when she came in. I didn't give her any treats but we did change her food like two days ago. I doubt this would be the cause though as the diarrhea is so severe.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Did you just change over her food from full old food to full new food? Or did you do it slowly over a week mixing out the old food?

Hopefully the anti biotic will work, very bland food for now, maybe some rice, might make her poo a bit more solid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How bad is the diarrhoea? Is it like water or just runny poo?

is she vomitting too? if she is i would get her to the vets as soon as you can as she could get dehydrated very quickly which can be very dangerous for pups as they can go downhill within a matter of hours.

When you changed food did you change gradually or just straight over, because new food is meant to be gradually introduced over a week or so as it can upset the tummy, which sounds like whats happened.

One or the other on its own isnt too bad but if she has both i would def get her to vets to get her looked at.

• Advertisement

We changed over her food pretty quick because when her bag finished, we couldn't get another one anywhere, and we looked in loads of different shops in my town and the larger one beside that. I really don't think this is it though because we changed in on like tue/ wed and she was fine even yesterday. The diarrhea is like water, very bad. I didn't actually see her sick earlier, my mum did, I don't think their was much substance in it, just grass, so she might not be actually vomiting from the sickness, just the grass she ate because she wasn't feeling well maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

This doesnt sound good, if the poo is watery, trust me they can get dehydrated so quickly with vomitting and bad diarrhoea, my dog got it last year and went down hill within a matter of hours, so i would recommend you get the pup to the vets so they can put her on a drip to re hydrate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Go to the vet please... my little JRT has a blockage in his intestine and he's vomitting everytime he drinks water. He needs to have an operation if blockage ain't clear by tomorrow... bring to nearest emergency vet now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yup +1 vets - now

edit - yes changing food that quickly, especially on a pup will have an effect, it might not be the direct cause but it's not good for their tummies, they can't handle it.
    I do hope your pup gets better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We changed over her food pretty quick because when her bag finished, we couldn't get another one anywhere, and we looked in loads of different shops in my town and the larger one beside that. I really don't think this is it though because we changed in on like tue/ wed and she was fine even yesterday. The diarrhea is like water, very bad.

This is exactly what happened with our puppy when his food was changed too quickly - it got gradually worse over a few days. We brought him to the vets to be safe and they put him on prescription food and a pro-biotic supplement for a few days - he's fine now!

• Advertisement

Looks like she had more diarrhea and actually got sick last night. Im bringing her to the vets at 9 o'clock. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

best of luck and let us know how you get on

Shes looking alot better now, I think shes getting over it. We gave her another antibiotic thing. Shes drinking loads and eating rice really well now too. She hasn't got sick or had diarrhea since during the night. Thank God she looks ok now, thanks a million for all the replies and advice. :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

thats great to hear:)

Advertisement