Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

German at 3rd level

• 25-09-2009 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering how much harder does german get and people own experiences of studying it at 3rd level

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

There are often beginner/advanced streams at third level.

It's mostly still like at second level: classes revolving around reading, grammar, speaking and exercises. If studying Arts, expect classes in literature/culture/Landeskunde/history or all of the above at some stage.

Depending on where you go, expect to use more technology in learning -- language labs and similar.

Best of all, there are plenty German speakers around, native and otherwise! So there are often social events in which you can practice your skills.

Well worth having another language under your belt.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

It really depends on the course you have your eye on. I did German for my degree but I found the literature modules pointless. I much preferred to concentrate on developing vocab and grammar, so I tried to avoid literature modules whenever possible. I

If you're doing, for example, Law/IT/Business with German, you will probably just be studying grammar, writing essays and practise speaking in class.

In an Arts degree, you'll be studying German literature, German history and culture, as well as language/grammar modules, maybe some basic translation modules. And of course, you get to go away to Germany/Austria for Erasmus in 3rd year :D

Maybe I am misinterpreting your post, but in case you're finding it hard-going now, then maybe you might not enjoy it much in college?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

I actually really enjoy learnin german! Like i can learn a page of german really quickly whereas irish would take me an hour!:( I just dont really know what type of course i wanna do...like im lookin at different types ones....and thought maybe i like to pursue german at 3rd level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

LovexxLife wrote: »
    I actually really enjoy learnin german! Like i can learn a page of german really quickly whereas irish would take me an hour!:( I just dont really know what type of course i wanna do...like im lookin at different types ones....and thought maybe i like to pursue german at 3rd level.

Cool. Well, many courses offer a language module if you want to do a "Something plus German" or a general Arts degree, so you'd still get to keep it up and get the Erasmus/Foreign work placement stint as well :)

Advertisement