Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothes Bank Fire...

Options
  • 25-09-2009 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭

...in the Galway Shopping Centre car park.

Was just passing the Shopping Centre a few minutes ago and there was a huge amount of smoke billowing from one of the big yellow clothes bank things in the car park.

Lighting clothes, that were donated for people in need, on fire = low-life scum!

Was heading over the bridge then and an ambulance was going the other direction in a hurry with its lights on. More than likely wasn't heading to the clothes bank fire but possible all the same.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Full of blazers and hot pants no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It's sickening really when you think of the people who have given for the good of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

mikom wrote: »

Maybe someone threw some flares into the clothes bank.

But seriously, it is a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

mikom wrote: »

Flares and blazers are about as fashionable as sideburns

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

awh!!! I've been working on my sideburns for ages now :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mallett

dont these banks get robbed also seen tv docu at some stage on it where they were selling on the clothes for self gain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Shryke wrote: »
    It's sickening really when you think of the people who have given for the good of others.

They probably pay for their rubbish collection by weight:p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

KevR wrote: »
    ...in the Galway Shopping Centre car park.

Was just passing the Shopping Centre a few minutes ago and there was a huge amount of smoke billowing from one of the big yellow clothes bank things in the car park.

Lighting clothes, that were donated for people in need, on fire = low-life scum!

Was heading over the bridge then and an ambulance was going the other direction in a hurry with its lights on. More than likely wasn't heading to the clothes bank fire but possible all the same.
    don't call the fire station, post about it here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

DRakE wrote: »
    don't call the fire station, post about it here
    And foot the bill? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

KevR wrote: »

Why would an ambulance go to a fire like this, they more likley to send a Fire tender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I saw a woman holding her child by the ankles and trying to get him to crawl into the bin to pass out the clothes one time... some people are scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

lizt wrote: »
    I saw a woman holding her child by the ankles and trying to get him to crawl into the bin to pass out the clothes one time... some people are scum.

Sounds like they may have needed them. If someone is desperate enough to go rummaging through my rubbish, they're welcome to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Well, it depends.

Some people that might lower themselves to doing that might have actual need for them, but I would venture a guess that some of the scum I have had the misfortune to know over the years would think nothing of doing such a thing.

On the other hand, the most unfortunate of people can have a strong sense of pride and would find it hard to reach out for the help of St. Vincent de Paul for example, much less rummage through the clothes bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Well, it depends.

Some people that might lower themselves to doing that might have actual need for them, but I would venture a guess that some of the scum I have had the misfortune to know over the years would think nothing of doing such a thing.

On the other hand, the most unfortunate of people can have a strong sense of pride and would find it hard to reach out for the help of St. Vincent de Paul for example, much less rummage through the clothes bank.

Points taken there. But you actually touched on another one. I think I've know people who would be MORE likely to go rummaging in a clothes bank in the dead of night than BE SEEN to go to somewhere like SVP or the like. Sad but true, but that's the way it is.

Yeah, I'd have little problem someone taking stuff if they really needed it tbh, but would rather they went through proper channels. Nothing wrong with getting 2nd hand clothes, whether they cost 2 quid at a hipster rummage sale or are free from a charity.

Robbing them to sell is another story entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with getting 2nd hand clothes, whether they cost 2 quid at a hipster rummage sale or are free from a charity.

I'll be impressed if you can find anything worth wearing for only 2 quid, whether at a rummage sale (not too many of them around ... see the car-boots thread) or a charity shop (anything worthwhile is E4+ as far as I can see).

AFAIK (haven't done it myself), VdP give people who need assistance "gift vouchers" to use in their shops, so it looks like they're shopping like anyone else. Without these vouchers, the clothes in there are cheap, but certainly aren't free. Eg coats are E15+

JustMary wrote: »
    I'll be impressed if you can find anything worth wearing for only 2 quid, whether at a rummage sale (not too many of them around ... see the car-boots thread) or a charity shop (anything worthwhile is E4+ as far as I can see).

AFAIK (haven't done it myself), VdP give people who need assistance "gift vouchers" to use in their shops, so it looks like they're shopping like anyone else. Without these vouchers, the clothes in there are cheap, but certainly aren't free. Eg coats are E15+

You have to bargain hunt, and I wasn't talking designer coats there! :) but you can get clothes at rummage sales and car boot sales for under a fiver.
    The 2 quid I referred to was a hipster jacket that a friend found in a charity shop. Keeping an eye out for 'cause' sales are good too.

But my point wasn't about the bargain hunting aspect, it was that a lot of people do shop in 2nd hand shops on occasion (students, housewives, designers etc), and it's fairly socially acceptable to do so.

It would not be about the shopping in the shop, but the accepting charity part that I'd say people have the problem with. Handing in a voucher at a till would be a complete no no for some people, sadly. Even to be seen by the person taking it (who would usually be a local volunteer housewife btw).
    That's the point I made about little difference in the big scheme between charity and 2euro, but huge in the mind of the person getting it.

The voucher system is still the best way though imo, though some charities do it differently.

I got a tshirt in pennys for 2quid.still wear it.

bigeasyeah wrote: »

Ah Pennys....:eek:.but were you ashamed while buying it? :D

inisboffin wrote: »
    Ah Pennys....:eek:.but were you ashamed while buying it? :D

Not at all.It was a bargin and I still wear it.Id be ashamed if I paid 100e for a t shirt.

Not at all.It was a bargin and I still wear it.Id be ashamed if I paid 100e for a t shirt.

Yeah - bargain pride :) I am all for it!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I can so beat you, €1 for a nice black logo-ed Penneys t-shirt
    Occasionally when I wear it, somehow my mind switches to little hands sewing away to their heart's content in a tropical village with monkeys playfully loitering and the lull of birdsong creating a joyful atmosphere..

Advertisement