Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oh dear god, Libertas at it again

Options
  • 25-09-2009 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

do these people have any shame :(

see new poster

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭w00t

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    do these people have any shame :(

see new poster

What would you like them to do? Put up Yes Posters? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

the eyes are very creepy...

almost........lizard like.
    What would you like them to do? Put up Yes Posters?

well this is called fearmongering, personnally I rather neither side did it. But libertas seem to skate the fine line of doing it almost as bad as Coir (who are undoubtable the worse) yet somehow looking respectable in comparison...

On a side note why is it considered Irish democracy starts at 1916? I mean if you want to go legally you would put down the creation of the state, or if you want to go with the idea of irish democracy then there are numerous events before 1916. Poor old Wolfe Tone got snubbed.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    the eyes are very creepy...

almost........lizard like.

well this is called fearmongering, personnally I rather neither side did it. But libertas seem to skate the fine line of doing it almost as bad as Coir (who are undoubtable the worse) yet somehow looking respectable in comparison...

Democracy. You have to love it but sometimes hate it. Like most things now it is all marketing and PR. Getting ones point across is now about the gloss rather than the content, sadly. The peoples fault which is even sadder. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Ah would you ever **** off, have you seen the balls of the Yes campaign turning Lisbon into something a referendum on jobs and staying in the EU? Both sides are full of ****e to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Is this the first image of a crying child to be used? Or did I miss an earlier one? I know the first referendum had the microchipped baby.

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

That is incredibly creepy. What's the point the image is trying to make?

Edit: Nevermind, I see that she's crying now. Lovely.

Next time I see anyone accusing FF and the like of fearmongering with their 'Yes to jobs' nonsense I'm linking to this thread.

Shameless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

lol Democracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Ah would you ever **** off, have you seen the balls of the Yes campaign turning Lisbon into something a referendum on jobs and staying in the EU? Both sides are full of ****e to be perfectly honest.

I have to agree with you. The way the Yes side are trying to portray themselves as honest

people shocked at the no campaign is hilarious. As if butter wouldn't melt in their mouths. They

ain't fooling nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Jaysus, is that a picture of one of the alien lizard-children the EU will send to abort us if we vote Yes?

She feckin looks it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

They really are IKIP.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

K-9 wrote: »
    They really are IKIP.

You mean UKIP ? Or is it an acronym I don't know?

Interestingly, google tells me IKIP means International Kuril Island Project. The next Libertas campaign perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭rebelmind

I doubt it will change many minds, but who knows.
    I saw a poster of an ecstatic looking female on a yes poster yesterday, equally as creepy, I thought.

If you missed the dates, you might simply come away with the message "Irish Democracy? Vote No!".

still amused,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

w00t wrote: »
    What would you like them to do? Put up Yes Posters? :rolleyes:

Okay I'll try this again.

Europe for Jobs, Europe for the Economy etc are rubbish slogans, but the things they imply may happen. Personally I dislike these ****e posters.

On the other hand... 'Irish Democracy 1916-2009?' is not something that could happen. There is no threat to our democracy in Lisbon. They EU have never done anything to threaten our democracy, not in 36 years. I hate this poster because it contains a rubbish slogan and also an implicit lie, which is far worse than the Yes posters.

I'm sorry the distinction is lost on some people. I also hope that these same tactics are not used against you in the future on something you support, you made that bed and eventually you might have to lie in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Scofflaw wrote: »
    If you missed the dates, you might simply come away with the message "Irish Democracy? Vote No!".

still amused,
    Scofflaw

or if you suffer some forms of colour blindness maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

From today's Indo, and as I said in another post:

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/world-news/asia/bin-laden-warns-of-retaliation-against-europe-1897284.html

If we are next on the terrorist hitlist

Maybe she is worried about our crap army and navy after our isolationist NO vote.

Or maybe Declan can sell us some gear to defend ourselves.

Honest question for No voters:

Would this poster make you more inclined to believe Lisbon will somehow strip Ireland of its democracy or would it just give you the impression that Libertas are an extremely sinister organisation?

meglome wrote: »
    Okay I'll try this again.

Europe for Jobs, Europe for the Economy etc are rubbish slogans, but the things they imply may happen. Personally I dislike these ****e posters.

On the other hand... 'Irish Democracy 1916-2009?' is not something that could happen. There is no threat to our democracy in Lisbon. They EU have never done anything to threaten our democracy, not in 36 years. I hate this poster because it contains a rubbish slogan and also an implicit lie, which is far worse than the Yes posters.

I'm sorry the distinction is lost on some people. I also hope that these same tactics are not used against you in the future on something you support, you made that bed and eventually you might have to lie in it.

If you look at my other post I stated my belief it is all just PR and marketing. Neither bother with the truth and just selling an agenda.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    or if you suffer some forms of colour blindness maybe?

It's not too bad, actually.

http://vischeck.homeip.net/uploads/125391650410230/images/hs246.snc1_9335_525313465814_37300923_31271191_7805215_n.jpg

It would depend on the lighting, I think. I wonder what it looks like under streetlamps?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

If you look at my other post I stated my belief it is all just PR and marketing. Neither bother with the truth and just selling an agenda.

Sure it is all PR and marketing. I am also saying though that the No campaign have really scraped the bottom of the barrel.

meglome wrote: »
    Sure it is all PR and marketing. I am also saying though that the No campaign have really scraped the bottom of the barrel.

I think they have too. But at least they are still saying No.

http://www.dickroche.com/article.php?sid=1069&PHPSESSID=c79aa85144112003b0faaa6131192337

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

rebelmind wrote: »
    I doubt it will change many minds, but who knows.
    I saw a poster of an ecstatic looking female on a yes poster yesterday, equally as creepy, I thought.
    Just as creepy perhaps, but if it's the same poster I saw, a fair bit hotter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think they have too. But at least they are still saying No.

http://www.dickroche.com/article.php?sid=1069&PHPSESSID=c79aa85144112003b0faaa6131192337
    Well it's unlike anyone even slightly involved in politics to be wrong or change their mind.

http://www.u.tv/News/Declan-Ganley-quits-politics-/89599b42-a6f8-4752-81a3-0cfa080cb3fa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

What about the yes campaigns new poster with a picture of a woman next to the slogan "I'm safer in Europe"...?

I'm sorry, but that is by far the most ****ed up poster of them all.

Honest question for No voters:

Would this poster make you more inclined to believe Lisbon will somehow strip Ireland of its democracy or would it just give you the impression that Libertas are an extremely sinister organisation?

In fairness we have already seen the EU have little interest in democracy. We are only getting a vote because our constitution is forcing one, and we didn't vote "correctly" so we have to vote again. You just know if the no camp win we'll have to vote again.

So while I think their poster is kind of stupid they have a point somewhat that repeating the vote until the right option is selected is not quite democratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

AARRRGH wrote: »
    What about the yes campaigns new poster with a picture of a woman next to the slogan "I'm safer in Europe"...?

I'm sorry, but that is by far the most ****ed up poster of them all.

Well, like the Vote yes for jobs line, the Referendum Commission dismissed lines like this. Ganley pointed this out and relied on the Commission. The Commission also pointed out direct taxation, Neutrality, Family Law, Defence, Health and Education are not affected.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Well, like the Vote yes for jobs line, the Referendum Commission dismissed lines like this. Ganley pointed this out and relied on the Commission. The Commission also pointed out direct taxation, Neutrality, Family Law, Defence, Health and Education are not affected.

Sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding your reply, but my interpretation of the "I'm safer in Europe" poster is they are attempting to tap into many women's fear of assault/abuse. You know, voting no will make you unsafe.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    In fairness we have already seen the EU have little interest in democracy. We are only getting a vote because our constitution is forcing one, and we didn't vote "correctly" so we have to vote again. You just know if the no camp win we'll have to vote again.

So while I think their poster is kind of stupid they have a point somewhat that repeating the vote until the right option is selected is not quite democratic.

Are you saying the EU should be allowed to step in and overrule our constitutional requirement for a referendum?

Last time I checked, it was the Oireachtas who called the second referendum on Lisbon.

• Advertisement

Are you saying the EU should be allowed to step in and overrule our constitutional requirement for a referendum?

No, that's not what I'm saying.

Last time I checked, it was the Oireachtas who called the second referendum on Lisbon.

You think they decided that on their own or do you think there was immense pressure from the EU?

Advertisement