Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oh dear god, Libertas at it again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding your reply, but my interpretation of the "I'm safer in Europe" poster is they are attempting to tap into many women's fear of assault/abuse. You know, voting no will make you unsafe.

Huh?

Its a response to the Neutrality question. Nothing to do with assault/abuse. Why would it be a response to assault/abuse?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

K-9 wrote: »
    Huh?

Its a response to the Neutrality question. Nothing to do with assault/abuse. Why would it be a response to assault/abuse?

Obviously on a simple level you can make the connection to neutrality or something like that, but I don't believe the marketing people were being that basic.

Two female friends of mine associated it with "safety". I believe that was the intention of the advert. You know, tapping into many women's fear of assault, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

No, that's not what I'm saying.

You think they decided that on their own or do you think there was immense pressure from the EU?

Well, it seems to me that the government themselves are pretty determined to ratify Lisbon.

Although obviously, there is an element of pressure, with 26 other member states wanting to press on, and the need to get Lisbon ratified before November, to make use of our Commission guarantee.

Well, it seems to me that the government themselves are pretty determined to ratify Lisbon.

Although obviously, there is an element of pressure, with 26 other member states wanting to press on, and the need to get Lisbon ratified before November, to make use of our Commission guarantee.

I do believe the government want it too.

That alone makes me suspicious though. :)

Our government have proven again and again that the interest of the country is not high on their agenda, e.g., NAMA.

Obviously on a simple level you can make the connection to neutrality or something like that, but I don't believe the marketing people were being that basic.

Two female friends of mine associated it with "safety". I believe that was the intention of the advert. You know, tapping into many women's fear of assault, etc.

Safety means Neutrality, in Ireland especially. We aren't the States.

Look, I'd contribute to another female dominated site and yes, the "Sending our children out to war" line does resonate. Far more than we like to think.

It may appeal to both, but sure it's a poster.

We all know what the "Vote Yes to keep our Commissioner" poster meant.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

I do believe the government want it too.

That alone makes me suspicious though. :)

Our government have proven again and again that the interest of the country is not high on their agenda, e.g., NAMA.

But Fine Gael and Labour are also in favour of it. Neither of them want NAMA.

And by the way, doesn't it make you even more suspicious, that Cóir, Sinn Féin, Libertas and UKIP are all calling for a No?

Look, I'd contribute to another female dominated site and yes, the "Sending our children out to war" line does resonate. Far more than we like to think.

I think you're being a bit naive about how advertisers play into people's fears and use subliminal messaging. But that's cool, we can agree to disagree.

Maybe I've misunderstood what you meant to say...

It may appeal to both, but sure it's a poster.

If this is what they do in fact mean by safety (and I have no idea if they do) , then it's a very good point.

As Pat Cox said, it will be the first time ever Irish neutrality is written into law.

I think you're being a bit naive about how advertisers play into people's fears and use subliminal messaging. But that's cool, we can agree to disagree.

Maybe I've misunderstood what you meant to say...

It's a poster.

You interpret it one way, I interpret it another.

Did the female you referred to :eek: have children?

But Fine Gael and Labour are also in favour of it. Neither of them want NAMA.

And by the way, doesn't it make you even more suspicious, that Cóir, Sinn Féin, Libertas and UKIP are all calling for a No?

I guess I am just suspicious of people who want power. They nearly never have the right intentions, so when I see our politicians all drooling over Lisbon, I can't help but think it's not in our interest to vote it in.

I agree Coir, Sinn Fein, etc. don't exactly inspire confidence in why we should vote no, but FF definitely don't inspire confidence to vote yes. IMO FF are the scummiest of the scum in Ireland.

• Advertisement

It's a poster.

You interpret it one way, I interpret it another.

Did the female you referred to :eek: have children?

No they don't have children, but they did associate the poster with assault.

Anyway, who cares. I think everyone agrees both the yes and the no side have ridiculous crap on their posters.

I guess I am just suspicious of people who want power. They nearly never have the right intentions, so when I see our politicians all drooling over Lisbon, I can't help but think it's not in our interest to vote it in.

I agree Coir, Sinn Fein, etc. don't exactly inspire confidence in why we should vote no, but FF definitely don't inspire confidence to vote yes. IMO FF are the scummiest of the scum in Ireland.

Forget politicians.

SIPTU, ICTU, EUTUC, IFA, KFA, ITI, Ryanair, David Quinn, IBEC, Chambers of Commerce, Intel?

Even the Catholic Church says you can vote either way.

Why do such a BROAD spectrum of interests agree and why do the extremes agree on a No?

No they don't have children, but they did associate the poster with assault.

Anyway, who cares. I think everyone agrees both the yes and the no side have ridiculous crap on their posters.

Ahhhhh, exactly.

The poster means one thing to women with no kids and another to Mothers?

Fair point?

Forget politicians.

SIPTU, ICTU, EUTUC, IFA, KFA, ITI, Ryanair, David Quinn, IBEC, Chambers of Commerce, Intel?

Even the Catholic Church says you can vote either way.

Why do such a BROAD spectrum of interests agree and why do the extremes agree on a No?

Well the trade unions don't do much for me :pac: but I agree it's interesting that it's mostly the extemists who want a no vote.

I'm going to vote no though, for a couple of reasons but the main one being that we voted "wrong" last time so have to vote again. That's unacceptable in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bertiewooster

Just want to say i voted yes last time but will vote NO this time,These posters that say vote yes for jobs is bull,what about the 2,000 jobs in Dell Limerick plus all the subsid companies who closed down because of that,in excess of 5000 jobs lost all around the country because the EU gave Dell over 100 million help in setting up in Poland and another 57 million last week.So tell me why we should vote yes,if the EU is paying companies to relocate out of Ireland to other European countries.

Ahhhhh, exactly.

The poster means one thing to women with no kids and another to Mothers?

Fair point?

I have no idea.

My point is I think it is a sneaky poster, so it's not just the no people who are being manipulative.

I have no idea.

My point is I think it is a sneaky poster, so it's not just the no people who are being manipulative.

There are provisions in the Treaty to make women safer. Big difference. Prostitution and people trafficking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Just want to say i voted yes last time but will vote NO this time,These posters that say vote yes for jobs is bull,what about the 2,000 jobs in Dell Limerick plus all the subsid companies who closed down because of that,in excess of 5000 jobs lost all around the country because the EU gave Dell over 100 million help in setting up in Poland and another 57 million last week.So tell me why we should vote yes,if the EU is paying companies to relocate out of Ireland to other European countries.

The EU didn't give Dell that money - Poland gave Dell that money. The only thing the EU did was check that it wasn't distortion of competition.

We were outbid and undercut. If we hadn't spent the last decade relentlessly driving the cost of living here up by selling each other over-priced houses, we'd be keeping Dell.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

You certainly do have a point. I find it very strange myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bertiewooster

i think you should check your facts properly the Eu did allocate that money to Dell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

i think you should check your facts properly the Eu did allocate that money to Dell

I think you should check your facts properly. the EU didn't allocate that money to Dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

passive wrote: »
    I think you should check your facts properly. the EU didn't allocate that money to Dell.

Correct, and our own government pulled a similar stroke grant aiding Intel for its current expansion. Plus Dell bled the government all along its development in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

The fact that POLAND not the EU gave 100 million to Dell is not a reason why they leave Ireland. They leave Ireland because Ireland has less and less to offer to producers around the world. And the reason for that is low education system, no foreign languages knowledge among 90% of population, risk that Ireland might be excluded from EU, very conservative law and many many more reasons.

It's very silly to think that if you vote NO those companies will stay in Ireland..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

is it me or that girl on poster looks like that Madeleine McCann missing girl?

http://www.mccannfiles.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/MadeleineAgeProg3.JPG

Correct, and our own government pulled a similar stroke grant aiding Intel for its current expansion. Plus Dell bled the government all along its development in Limerick.
    Poland didn't offer anything to Dell until Ireland did so. Then Poles had no choice and had to offer something to balance that situation equally. But later on they decided to "fight" Irish using their own tactic and offered money Ireland was not able to outbid. Ireland lost from its own sword.

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    is it me or that girl on poster looks like that Madeleine McCann missing girl?

http://www.mccannfiles.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/MadeleineAgeProg3.JPG

I think you could be onto something there.

Libertas kidnapped Maddie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

WooPeeA wrote: »
    Poland didn't offer anything to Dell until Ireland did so. Then Poles had no choice and had to offer something to balance that situation equally. But later on they decided to "fight" Irish using their own tactic and offered money Ireland was not able to outbid. Ireland lost from its own sword.

were spending 90 billion bailing out failed banks and developers :(

but thats a topic for Irish economy forum

lets get back to lizard eye girl poster from Libertas :D

/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

do these people have any shame :(

see new poster

attachment.php?attachmentid=91863&d=1253908970

Looks more like CG eyes and didn't even notice the tears except I was looking for them.

Looks more like a Playstation add TBH. First thing I though when I looked at it as it looks so fake and creepy.

Lol says a lot for Sony's marketing department :p

Remember vote Sony!

were spending 90 billion bailing out failed banks and developers :(
    While Poles as the only country in Europe haven't spend a cent on failed companies thinking that those should rather collapse to make a space for the new, better ones. For saved money they build roads and stadiums making use of low prices of everything caused by recession.

And that makes that all companies like Dell, Google or Ikea invest billions of euros there. Nothing to do with the EU or Lisbon Treaty. But yes, that's a topic for Irish economy forum.
    lets get back to lizard eye girl poster from Libertas :D
    I saw a bus ad of libertas on one of the buses in Galway yesterday. Captured that with my phone. I'll try to post that later.

My first thought was: "What a cheeky man Ganley is.."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Having seen the posters out and about today, I don't think they're anything worth worrying about. They look absolutely pathetic, a sheer act of desperation.

Desperate acts by a desperate organisation, led by the most desperate man we've seen in Irish politics for quite some time.

If those posters actually change someones vote, or sway a neutral, then they (the person) shouldn't be let anywhere near a ballot box.

Advertisement